Combating Complacency

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RoJoHen, Feb 6, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I've had way better moments.

2. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I think I've found the problem.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Good point!

:beer:

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

No. I've been drinking way too much the last few months. I'm hoping some extended sobriety might mix things up.

5. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Oh I'm just teasing. It's a good thing, but it might explain why you have some extra energy or feel restless.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Sometimes I think people overestimate how much I used to drink. I was drinking more than normal the last few months, just because I was going out with people more than usual, but I typically never drank more than once a month or so. Amongst most people I know, I am incredibly boring and straight-laced.

I think I just have too much freetime on my hands. It's the slow season at work, so everybody's hours have been cut back. Over the summer I was working 60 hours a week. Right now I'm working maybe 25-30. It was nice for a while, but I'm reaching a point where I really need something more to occupy my time.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know this amazing show, it has over 700 episodes!!!! I bet that would use up your time.

8. mari

mari Captain Captain

Learn to crochet. Make afghans or teddy bears for needy children or something. A pile of yarn and a hook will keep you busy (interested, challenged, frustrated) for years. I've been at it for a good 25 years now and I'm still learning new stitches and techniques.

9. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I was just going to suggest the same thing, based on your other thread about "old people" arts dying. :lol: I have plenty of patterns I could send you!

Doing something with your hands in general, whether it's crochet, woodworking, paint-by-numbers (or real painting if you're good at that), building robots, whatever...just the act of creation is very rewarding, especially because you don't have the pressure of a deadline but whenever you do finish you have something to show for all that work.

10. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First off, I would take at least a little bit of time to enjoy the fact that you're satisfied with your life. Bask in the comfort and peace that it brings. Many of us only dream of reaching that point, and it also often doesn't last forever.

I've been complacent before. It lasted for a period of time, and then I realized that I was doing absolutely nothing and that my life was feeling pretty empty. I needed excitement. I needed to be doing... something. Over the last few years, I've gradually been "shaking things up". I'll do something that I hadn't done before. I've also been doing a lot of soul searching and self analysis. Am I really happy with my life? What areas need improvement? What would I need to make myself happy? What do I want? Asking these kinds of questions - and being honest with yourself - can lead to a whole new list of goals to work towards. For the past year or so I've really been focusing on mine.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Then he can knit a sack to carry his testicles around in... :lol:

12. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

You could always go (back?) to uni and get (another?) degree or a postgrad qualification. For fun, you know.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

That just sounds plain awful. :lol: Besides, I have no interest in acquiring more student loan debt.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I'd say enjoy it whilst it last, though as others have said start a hobby. Yes I know you've mentioned you can't think of anything to do, but surely there must be something you've thought about doing over the years but never had the time.

And you could be over thinking of what to do, sometimes when you try to force something it doesn't happen.