Was NCC-1701 active for 40 years?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Brannigan, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

If you're referring to the BLDG-7115, its not a ship. The CVN-80 isn't built yet.

2. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Maybe the ringship Enterprise was some specialized long-range ship that was on a decades long mission. Therefore, no other Federation ships were using the name since it was in active service, and the mission was of such import, depicting the ringship took preference over NX-01. (We'll just have to imagine that the cleaning lady didn't put it back into the correct place in Marcus' office lineup. Lol)

3. Tarek71

Tarek71 Commodore Commodore

I think there probably were Enterprises after Archer and before Pike. The comics have one at least. A Daedalus Class Enterprise would make sense for the 2160's. Admiral Archer on hand for the commissioning. That one in service until around 2200 or so. Then another for Robert April to command. Maybe Pike too. That one in service from the 2210's or 2220's until the 2250's and then the NuKirk one from 2258 onwards.

For the Prime timeline, I would keep the Daedalus Enterprise, add another Enterprise to replace it in the early 2200's, and then the Constitution Class Enterprise from 2245 to the 2280's.

4. Tarek71

I wish more had been done with the ring ship Enterprise. But because they established such a long interval between Warps 1 and 2, the Enterprise must have been a fairly slow ship that didn't get that far from Earth. Id rather they said Warp 3 and 4 had been around a long time. Alas.

I am guessing a new Enterprise right after the NX-01 is retired.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  5. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

The ring ship Enterprise might have been Vulcan tech based and faster than warp 2. No idea after that.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

What I want to believe is that the Enterprise NX-01 possessed the first indigenous Human engine capable of significant warp speed, but from the start of Human interactions with aliens (not just the Vulcans) we had been purchasing and importing other species engines,

The Enterprise "ring-ship" would be an example of such, the ring is characteristic of the Vulcan design and other species besided them might employ (and export) it too.

The imported ring warp drive would have been faster than the home built Cochrane style engines. Starfleet could have had a political mandate to use Human design engines on their ship, or at least on a percentage some of them.

:)

7. Tarek71

I had a whole history worked out for why they looked different prior to the airing of Enterprise. Because the Alcubierre system uses rings, I layed out two rival ways of achieving Warp. One which is a descendent of the Alcubierre system, which I called the Alcubierre-Norment system (involving a 21st century French physicist named Norment), and the Cochrane system.

Cochrane got there first, but other teams with other systems eventually flew their own vessels, with a ring ship model succeeding in reaching Warp 1 a couple of years after Cochrane did. The XCV-330 Enterprise was a later vessel in that lineage.

But given what was established in Enterprise something more like what you describe might do better to have a Warp 2 plus Earth ship prior to the NX-01 program.

8. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

What's sort of funny is that since the ring-ship looks more like what a possible "warp drive" ship might look like, if it were based on the hypothetical Alcubierre drive, the ship on the Rec Room wall TMP may have more accurately depicted Earth's first warp-capable ship than we actually got in the later productions.

9. Ithekro

The trouble is that the Alcubierre style drive is presently only rated to possibly making it to just over Warp Factor 2 (eight times the speed of light) by making a ship able to go ten times the speed of light (roughly Warp Factor 2.154).

The Ring Ship Enterprise might have had such a drive as it does predate the NX-Alpha test ship. However it might not have worked up to its full ability, making only 7.5 times the speed of light (just under Warp 2) but still faster than the Warp 1.8 freighters.

Or the Alcubierre drive was combined with Vulcan tech since Vulcan ring drives were a known and did make it to warp 2 or 3 (even warp 4 would be impressive). But tech deals with Vulcans might be an issue. The Vulcans were trying to keep the humans back a bit, and would be iffy on warp technologies. The Cochrane based Archer drive would mean the humans could build the drives themselves rather than importing parts from Vulcan for a hybrid Alcubierre drive.

10. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

Sorry for the confusion, I was just joking that it was amusing that in 1979 they stuck the ring-ship Enterprise on the Rec Room wall, and that it ends up being a better representation of a possible "first warp capable ship" based on today's real-life theories than any TNG-era retcons.

11. Ithekro

I was under the impression that the ring ship was the ship to be used in the cancelled Roddenberry show.

It is also possible it was a non-warp powered ship. The old books from 1980 or and FASA mention either a first space liner or first manned interstellar ship Enterprise launched from Earth several years prior to the invention of the warp drive by Cochrane. It was mentioned at being the only one that reached another star system before the warp ships started to overtake them, making it to Alpha Centauri before a warp powered vessel arrived. If there were other ships of its type the warp ships beat them to their destinations (like Barnard's Star or Sirius).

12. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

I believe the ring-ship was one of Jefferies other ideas for the original series Enterprise.

13. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Yes, some early TOS pre-production sketches appear to suggest that.

Jefferies refined the ringship for the Roddenberry TV proposal "Starship" and it finally ended up on the rec room alcove in TMP.

Bob