JD's Comic Book Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I really like Wolverine and the X-Men, it has a great sense of fun and whimsey entirely missing from the past decade of X-comics, and the art by Balacho and Bradshaw is great as well.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that was part of the reason I picked it instead of continuing on from the first All-New X-Men like I had originally planned. This sounds like a lot more fun, which is what I was looking forward. And, at least based on what I read, possibly not quite as continuity heavy. Even if it is I don't mind looking stuff up online if I need info, or, if you guys don't mind, ask here. I'm tempting to get Saga too now. I've been hearing about how great it is since it started, and Io9 just did a 10 reasons you should be reading Saga article, and everything they said sounds friggin' awesome. Although I'm thinking it'll be an "at home only" read.
    EDIT: So if all goes according to plan, here are the comic series I plan on reading on a regular basis for the foreseeable future.

Wolverine & The X-Men
    Smallville Season 11
    Saga
    SW: Knights of the Old Republic
    SW: Legacy (first series)
    BTVS S8

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Saga is... interesting... but I think it's overrated.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finished up Wolverine & The X-Men Vol.1
    Looking forward to reading more W&tXM.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Wolverine and the X-Men" is one of my favourite books. I don't post much about it in the Marvel thread because no one there seems to like it much...but it has been incredibly consistent and doesn't take its self too seriously, and Jason Aaron knows how to have fun with his characters and has been carrying on Logan's arc from Schism. Even during the Avengers Vs X-Men tie-ins he still was able to maintain some of his own plot. As mentioned the art and the artists on the book have been fantastic as well.

6. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Wolverine and the X-Men quite a bit. I'm way behind on it because I only buy 'em when Marvel drops the price on Comixology, which happens on no set schedule.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I was really in the mood for something that was a little bit lighter and more fun, and W&XM scratched that itch perfectly. Quentin Quire and Broo seem like especially fun characters.
    As for the art, I did have a little bit of trouble following what exactly was going on during a few of the panels during the Krakoa attack, but I don't know if that was necissarily that artist's fault. I've run into that with some other books that nobody seems to have had trouble with, so I think a lot of it is just me. Other than those few panels, I loved the art.
    My plan right now is to start with the trades, and then depending on how I feel I'll probably keep going with the individual issues.
    Next up will be either the first Smallville Season 11 "episode", or the first Saga collection, I haven't decided yet.

8. Admiral_Young

I tried "Saga"...and just lost focus with it. I think I agree with Mr. Light its a little overrated. I would highly recommend if you want something a little different...Jonathan Hickman's "East of West". It's incredible.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Legacy was the best Star Wars since The Empire Strikes Back.

10. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed. This second volume has had a slow start...but the last couple of issues have been entertaining. I'm still glad it's back.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I got Dynamite's issue #1 of The Owl which is tied into the greater scheme of their Project SuperPowers.
    The plot was a bit pedestrian with one kinda glaring bit of a disconnect for today's reader.
    You don't just whip up a resume and get into to see the Chief of Police AND get loosely hired on the spot in a post 9/11 world. That bit felt way to '30's, if that was intentional they over sold it.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about the Manhattan Projects? The reviews have been pretty good and concept intrigues me?
    Or Morning Glories? I keep seeing that getting good reviews.
    EDIT: Just looked up East of West, and I'm definitely going to have to add that one to the list. That looks really cool.

13. Admiral_Young

I've read and been told good things about The Manhattan Projects. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet though.

14. Captain Craig

Dynamite Comics
    The Owl #2- found this issue to be a step up. The conflict with the granddaughter of his old flame who's taken up the mantle of Owl Girl does things by a slightly more Punisher methodology than he's accustomed to. That led to some drama + the subtle idea that Owl Girl might be interested beyond a crime fighting partnership. The Owl/Nick would not find that palatable I'd wager. Still, the gang turf war is heating up and a pro hit on Owl Girl has been made, can the Owl's patch things up and fight them together.....

Lady Rawhide #1 - Never read the original from Topps back in the 90's so came into this clean. Felt like the issue was juggling two intro stories at once. Issue starts and Rawhide has been doing her thing for awhile so it's not an origin issue. It also introduces a band of women outlaws, Sisters of the White Rose, who might just have been inspired by Lady Rawhide but that's unclear. I found it overall to be fairly solid, I'd go 3.5 out of 5 stars. I also found myself curious about where Zorro might be, if he's still around at all. I'd wager that's something they are holding out for.

IMAGE Comics
    Lazarus #2 - this dystopian saga from Greg Rucka continues and I find myself more engrossed after two issues than I have on Fraction's East of West. The fraternal twins of House Carlyle are clearly plotting to take over the family. Forever aka Eve, the family Lazarus is starting to have conflicting morality issues with her task as the Family enforcer. They have't out right said it but I think she is a type of clone or synthetic person whose consciousness has been manipulated and her "programming" is crumbling. Meanwhile a rival Family in their zone is feeling the disarray and begun attacking outlying farms. They must be dealt with, will Eve do as the Family expects her?

I do have East of West #5 still to read, my drop it after this opening arc though. May or may not comment on it.
    Also have X #4 from Dark Horse in the to be read pile.

VALIANT
    Archer & Armstrong #12 - solid
    Harbinger #15 - a death???

Anyone try Gail Simone's Red Sonja from last month? I passed but have heard good things elsewhere.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The new Red Sonya is definitely on my list once I get caught up on W&X-M and Smallville.

16. Admiral_Young

CaptainCraig you mean Hickman's "East of West" :) Fraction!!! LOL.

I read the first two issues of Ruka's "Lazarus" and after finding it difficult to get into the first few pages, really loved it. It's right up there with "East of West" IMO. I'm now reading two Image books.

I also checked out JMS' "Sidekicks #1" and thought it was pretty cool. Better than I expected.

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

THe Owl #2 was good. much improved from #1. Lady Rawhide #1 was ok. my memories of the Topps stuff is sketchy at best.

anyone pick up Lords of Mars? thought it was an ok first issue.

18. Captain Craig

So East of West #5, I don't quite understand how Death went from being Black to White?
    What am I missing there? What makes Xiaolian so special again that her and Death's offspring would be so powerful? He seems chained up very Matrix like in some aspects.

What is the message?

Once issue #6 comes out I'm going to re-read them altogether in one sitting. Then decide on staying with it or not. The art is very strong.

X #2 - was an enjoyable read. Frankly I have to know if X has some super human qualities. He seems to take just too much punishment and still keep going. They did a good job of making me wonder who he is now though after his mask was pulled off and only the other 2 characters saw, their reactions were of stunned amazement.

19. Admiral_Young

More like a shadow. A Shadow of Death. Death is not meant to love is it? I suspect that falling in love changed Death completely. As for their child...I assume he is meant to be a version of the Anti-Christ. Whatever machine they've got the kid hooked up to, it is conditioning him as well. Looks like Hickman probably watched "Star Trek IV: The Voayge Home" and or "Star Trek". Especially for the "How do you feel line". :)

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Would I be able to read No Man's Land without Cataclysm or any of the other stuff leading up to it? I've been able to find all five collections of NML for the Nook, but I can't find all of Cataclysm on Comixology or for Nook.