Star Trek ~ Project Potemkin "Command Decision" S02-G NOW ON-LINE

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Potemkin_Prod, Jul 15, 2014.

1. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

Very well, Randy! Looking forward to it!

Well, in our amateur area (as I'm coming from a community theater), I surely have had my experiences with AA. (Producing Videos and Making Ofs from the productions)

At the moment I work with Magix Video Deluxe 2013 for cutting videos. And with Magix Samplitude for Audio. There's always something I can learn from it, from others and their experience... and the fun never stops!

Greetings
    Per

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  2. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Just to play Captain Obvious, the real key is to have the cleanest possible sound going in. The cleaner the source audio, the less tweaking you have to do in post and the better that tweaking works. I know that's no surprise to Per and Randy, but it's a lesson that can be very hard to learn.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

On Polaris we sometimes used multiple mics, too, boomed to follow different characters so that we'd make sure we got the actors lines. This was especially important on location.

4. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

For "Command Decision," we had one mic with a cable that's now suspect. This is one of the last productions where we didn't do an ADR session in the living room afterwards. Nowadays, we give the episode a couple of read-throughs, video the shoot, and then gather in the office for an ADR. During the shoot, we use the camera mic and the TASCAM with a completely different mic. The results are not consistent yet, but getting better and better with each production.

5. wtriker1701

@Maurice:
    Yes, multiple boom mics do the job, but amateur productions don't always have the luxury of having them and also multiple recording hardware at the same time...

Sometimes studio dubbings afterwords may help a lot. But even this is to be carefully planned and executed. The actor's original recording helps out much in those cases - but have to be faithfully recreated. That's not an easy task, given the surroundings and supporting actors may be not around...

Of course, in this case you have to painfully plan the sound effects accompanying those scenes. It wouldn't help to mix real voice acting with later dubbed ones, because that may give some real headaches in post...

6. Potemkin_Prod

Per, it supposedly has been uploaded and is available on Vimeo here: https://vimeo.com/100747185

I won't know for sure until sometime tomorrow afternoon when I return to the studio to make sure the upload was completed.

Moving on to our next production!

Randy

7. MikeH92467

I have written a brief story about the Potemkin: Project. Many thanks to Randall for his quick response to my inquiry.

8. wtriker1701

@ MikeH92467: Good article!

And @ Randy: I'll watch the new version in a few hours. I'm at work right now!

9. MikeH92467

Definite improvement on the sound mix! Good work!

10. Potemkin_Prod

Very nice article, Mike!!! Thanks for writing it! :techman:

Thanks! We're sticking a fork in this one, but we're using the advice to work on the next group of productions!

11. wtriker1701

Thanks, Randall, for regarding the audio issues. Well done!
    Overall a very nice vignette!!!

Greetings from Platjenwerbe, Germany (just a little north Bremen)
    Per

12. Potemkin_Prod

Thank you for the honest constructive feedback. It made improving the sound a delightful exercise rather than a puzzling chore in futility! Thank you again!

13. wtriker1701

Yes, Randall - that was a definite improvement!
    Thanks to all of Potemkin's crew for giving us entertainment! You give us joy!

Greetings from Platjenwerbe (near Bremen) Germany
    Per