The Vampire Diaries - Season 3 - Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

To be fair Bonnie has suffered lots, but Elena has also lost her father, mother, bio dad/uncle, bio mom and aunt. Caroline's life has also not been a picnic.

I just don't care about the Salvatores and the Elena love. I would like all 3 of them better if they just spent some time apart.

Klaus leaves no room for those that disappoint him. I suppose Caroline is going to be added to that list now since she helped distract him.

I suppose Elijah is off to brood Angel-style at this point?

Finn and mommy dearest are probably out to hatch another kill the family plot.

I wonder what Meredith is up to? Poor Alaric dies again?

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

3. js

js Captain Captain

Dear Vampire Diaries,

Please stop killing Alaric.

In every episode.

Yours truly,

A fan

4. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Yeah, he has become Kenny...

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Greetings, vampire diarists. I thought you'd like to know that Uncle Mason is likely soon to be the star of his own series as a hot firefighter (no pun intended, I'm sure he'll stay as cool as possible).

NBC won't make the decision on it till May, but it seems like one of the more likely pilots, firefighters not being at all overexposed on network TV (we can only hope.) ;)

So the show is kicking Alaric around? They should kill the character for real and let Matthew Davis try out for pilot season, maybe nab his own show, too. I've always liked him as an actor.

6. Kosh Naranek

Have you given up Temis? I must confess that I am still sticking around for the secondary characters. I have bored by the main three.

I like to use your reaction to a show to guage my friend Toad's reaction. I swear you two are twins.

7. Temis the Vorta

Twin to a Toad? I guess that makes a certain amount of sense...:rommie:

Yeah, I gave up when I realized this show was going to continue to shove Klaus at us every week, because of his supposed bromance with Stefan. But there's only one bromantic interest for Stefan, and that's Damon! Dammit! I hate shows that won't follow my psychic instructions. Bad Stefan is just no fun without Damon chasing him around and alternatively snarking at him and trying to rescue him. Instead, the whole Bad Stefan arc seems calculated to please the Delena crowd, with which I have no sympathy, so meh.

Let's face it, the only way this show could really please me is to kill off Elena, so that it's All Vampire Bromance, All The Time.

8. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Yeah, the show is spinning its wheels. That's the problem with a "big bad" who is just hanging out and being a dick. How many plots to rid them of Klaus have they come up with only to fail? Klaus conventiently doesn't kill the Salvadores, even though logically he should.

Absentee parents show up to become vampires.

I think the revelation that a witch created the first vampires just 1000 years ago in North America removed a lot of the vampire mystique.

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

10. ReedEnterprise

ReedEnterprise Captain Captain

I am 2 episodes behind on the dvr but what I have seen this year I liked, most of it anyway. Some of it was boring. Some of it just plain stupid. I don't like that they sent Jeremy away. And I don't like the jerking around of Tyler.

I still like the Damon/Elena/Stefan triangle. And I like the "evil"/"good" Stefan.
    I miss Jenna though she really was just a "parent" to have around. I keep thinking that she'll pop up somewhere.

11. Temis the Vorta

12. Kosh Naranek

Their historical eps do tend to be their strongest.

13. Temis the Vorta

Hey look, Matt Davis has the male lead role in another CW pilot - basically playing Alaric again :D - anyway, not a spoiler since he could continue with TVD too, they're not going to kill him off because of it. But I hope this show goes to series because Robert Knepper is playing the cult leader and it sounds like a blast.

14. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought 1912 was a realy good episode. I like it when they do the flashback episodes. though I really thought that they would draw the klaus's mother story arc a little bit longer than they did. now a we got a possible series killer in the group.

15. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Oh, come on, Cassidy Freeman isn't that bad!

(I think you meant serial killer.)

16. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The season started off strong after we got passed the season premiere and that tedious 1930s flashback episode but ever since the winter premiere the show has just come to a screeching halt.

I've long since grown tired of Damon's bi-polar destructive personality with one week he is a good guy then the next a sadist screwing everyone in sight and harming people. Stefan's personal struggle has hardly been the compelling crisis the writers seem to think and him jonesing for blood gets a big yawn from me. Romance on this show has never been its real strength and the recent reliance more heavily on all the angst has really bored me to tears with the Stefan/Elena/Damon triangloe and occasionally bringing in Rebekah and now seemingly Matt.

I've always thought the show was at its best when advancing its infinitely more interesting plotlines but I have to say the revelation that Alaric is the serial killer due to the ring reviving him so often and the fact that Rebekah's search for the Tree[TM] stopped before it started was pretty disappointing. I'm afraid the writers have really lost me especially and after seeing Sage coming into the story next week--bleh--I can't stand Cassidy Freeman as an actress so being treated to that next week hardly excites me especially with the predictable sexual tension that is bound to crop up with her arrival next week.

17. Temis the Vorta

I see this show really hasn't changed much since I gave up watching it. :D Stefan is still Mr. Ping-pong, Damon is still "pushing everyone away" (why doesn't everyone see through this act by now to the inner neediness and just tell Damon to cut it out, he stopped fooling everyone ages ago?) Elena is still whining about how she can't choose between them blahblahblah...

It's amazing that people who've lived for 150 years aren't more just plain sick of themselves by now. If I were Stefan or Damon, I'd be changing my habits 180 degrees just to keep from going out of my mind with boredom. (Hmm, maybe that explains Stefan's ping-pong routine?)

The twist of having Alaric's magic ring make him psycho just smacks of a show desperately trying not to be sick of itself. This really shows the limitation of broadcast series, that get stuck into their premise and can never make any really big changes that upend that premise.

How about Elena deciding that she's over all vampires for good, marrying Matt and living happily ever after? How about Damon giving up the callous cynic routine and devoting his life to humanitarian causes? How about Stefan committing suicide and being off the show forever? How about one of the vamps deciding to tell the world that vampires exist, and offering themselves as medical proof of that fact? (After centuries, I can't believe that not one of them has done this, out of boredom if nothing else.) Anything that would upend the status quo would be preferable to this stagnation.

It's impossible to watch cable shows like The Walking Dead, which really do have the guts to make fundamental changes to the characters and story that can't be taken back, and then tolerate a show like this one, which just spins and spins and goes nowhere.

18. Kosh Naranek

Well 1912 finally explained when Damon and Stefan flip flopped from Ripper and reluctant vampire to Jackass and Broody. However, I found that I did not really care.

Elena is just a dumb little twit, and Jade was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

They need to kill half the main cast and introduce a game changer.

19. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Soundtrack heavy episode tonight. I guess Cassidy Freeman brought that with her from Smallville.

Vampire psychic power crap? What the heck?

Did the poor piano player survive? Or is the maestro decomposing?

Alaric...worse than thought. I think he's a goner.

Do we care about Bonnie's relatives? No. Because no one on a Kevin Williamson show is allowed happy parental relations or even two parents.

I love Damon and Stephan's looks at the end..."brother, we back in the original slaying business!" (If only that would be sooner rather than later...actually, Rebecca is a tolerable foil, but I hate Klaus a lot.)

Nina Dobrev is so lovely, but with all the worried and sad looks she's required to do for this show, she's gonna age 5 years for every season.

20. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[LEFT]At this point I don't think there is any salvaging of this season. This was like the 7th or 8th mediocre episode in a row. I thought we were finally done with Jeremy but now he is coming back--yawn. Rebecca is about the most useless character I've seen--all she is good for is sex apparently. Sage--why again is she there--I cared zero about her last week and even less this week. And am I suppose to care about some 900 year old offscreen love affair between her and some plot device named Finn? I barely can muster enthusiasm for the actual onscreen 'shipping that has become far too prominent this season.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]At least in the past the show managed to not let it overshadow the series--now it is angst all the time i.e. Bonnie/Jeremy, Elena/Stefan, Stefan/Damon, Damon/Elena, Rebecca/Matt, Rebecca/Damon, Elena/Matt, Caroline/Klaus, Caroline/Tyler etc etc. It has practically ruined the show.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]I also could have done without Abby's subplot. She amounted to little more than a plot device to help release Ester and give Bonnie something to whine about--it could have been interesting but with so little mention of her before her appearing and so little screentime I just had no investment. And the subplot week hardly helped given that we've seen over and over and over on this series someone turning into a vampire and their struggle(Vicki, Caroline, Mr Forbes etc etc) so that was so very tired--thankfully it didn't take up that much of the show. And Ultimately she was conveniently removed from the series once she had played her role in the larger plot.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Last week I was lukewarm about Alaric turning out to be the serial killer and the way the story unfolded further this week just reaffirmed that initial impression. The revelation of his motive for attacking council members was weak and Matt Davis just didn't pull off the sadistic darker persona nearly as well as it needed to be.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Stefan's struggle with drinking blood is stale. Bleah. The series definitely feels like it is running on fumes.[/LEFT]