Vulcan sense of smell

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Melakon, Oct 9, 2013.

1. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

I really dont see the problem or need for ENT bashing.

Archer states that it is Vulcan females. So the two main Vulcan characters we had up till that point were male. None of the other Vulcan episodes with female Vulcans had a smell comment, so what?

T'pol is serving centuries before those other Vulcans. She is also the FIRST female to be serving aboard a human ship. This Vulcan-Human relationship is in its infancy, just because the Vulcans are explorers it does not mean they snuggle up with every smelly humanoid they come across. In fact, they seem quite stand-offish and happy to observe from afar [unlike the human desire to set foot on every random planet, asteroid, moon...]

So for T'pol, a young Vulcan female, with limited experience of humans [and that seemingly in built Vulcan arrogance] it doesn't seem that out of place for her to make a comment regarding the smell. Certainly it is a more unusual situation for her than it would be for a 24th century Vulcan female, serving about a Federation starship, having graduated from Starfleet Academy on Earth.

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

This seems to be directed at me for creating the thread in the first place I guess. But it's not what I would consider ENT bashing.

3. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

I wasm't really being cheeky or anything: Just yourself and Jarod were accusing Enterprise of making things up just to be different.

I see it as a totally believable extension of Vulcans. I think one of ENT's biggest triumphs was how they fleshed out the Vulcan race. They started behaving like a living society instead of wooded sarcasm machines.

The sense of smell thing....I kinda like. Besides, the other shows had mentioned super strength...which seemed to come and go.

4. Melakon

I actually wish the Vulcan strength had been more developed. ENT gave us some good hints, especially in "Bounty" when horny T'Pol shoves Phlox into a bulkhead, pries off a control panel and physically forces the door open.

But in many cases, ENT did seem to change things just to make them seem different, though they wound up doing exactly the same thing as things we'd seen before, only under a different name.

I'd suggest you see the ENT review thread that I'm about halfway through if you think I'm an ENT hater or something, but modesty prevents me from providing the link to the thread. I did not see the entire series until this year.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Talking about the series and it's perceived inconsistencies in it isn't bashing. It's just discussion. The whole point of this board. And Melakon's thread rocks. :)

6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Melakon rocks, period.
    (but he kinda smells weird)

7. Melakon

Thanks for the support, guys.
    Well, when you live alone and are usually home about 23 hours a day, showers are low priority unless you're stepping outside the door. :shifty:

I wasn't aware the odor was seeping through the monitors, so I'll try to be more diligent about it.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You should've bought one of those smell friendly monitors Melakon. They're all the rage now. ;)

9. Captain Rob

Captain Rob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought that we established a while back that Vulcans should smell like rusty pennies?
    And in Dr Selar's few scenes. She always seemed to be sticking her nose up. Or that could have been just attitude.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

By TOS era Vulcans had a handy nasal spray to mask offensive odors when off world.. but only noobs used it. Climatizing yourself to alien smells was an expected part of the learning curve of interspecies contact. After all, it's not like sehlats smell of roses. Vulcans get over it on their own planet when working with animals etc.. they can get over it on alien worlds as well.

11. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Ah...so what was the smell she got from the Frisco jazz club? :)

(I've never been quite able to work out whether that was false memory or not).

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think all this whining about smells is down to Vulcans not being sensual creatures, eschewing sensuality even. Humans enjoy all kinds of odd smells, horses and cow manure and diesel fumes and sex smells and don't forget Napoleon's letter to Josephine NOT to bathe because he was coming home. Vulcans' just can't get down with that.

I bet there are rebel Vulcans secretly sniffing things.

13. Melakon

Maybe Vulcans douse themselves with perfumes and colognes/aftershave lotion. Even Spock says (somewhat facetiously) "Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers... that smell bad." Maybe all Vulcan flowers smell like manure due to all their "superiority" bullshit.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The biggest sin was that it was boring. I can forgive many issues but I can never forgive boring.