Radio Times Claims a Classic Doctor Might Be in 50th Anniversary

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The Nth Doctor, Jul 23, 2013.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Radio Times claims one of the surviving classic Doctors might appear in the 50th Anniversary:

I hope this is true and I really hope it's Paul McGann.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

McGann would make sense. Maybe we see him regenerating into Hurt?

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Whilst it would be nice to see all of them, if I had to pick one. I would go with McGann, as we've only seen him play the Doctor once.

4. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It's probably

Davison- Moffat, Matt and Tennant all know him personally

Baker- Matt talked with him a year ago

Or McGann

I'd hate for the 8th doctor to be a stand in shot from the back so Hurt Doctor could emerge.

It would be like McCoy wearing a Colin Baker wig.

5. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

As someone pointed out in the comments to the original Radio Times article, that would be a really surprising Doctor Who Confidential, since the show was cancelled two years ago. But of course they could do a one-off announcement documentary if they wanted to.

Doctor Who Magazine reported a few months ago that there would be no classic Doctors in the special. Of course, it's possible that plans have changed since then, or that they were fibbing so that a two-minute Paul McGann cameo will feel like a thrill rather than the least possible classic series involvement.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

A two minute scene with the 8th doctor in the coral tardis would be enough for me.

7. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Hasn't Moff said at comic-con that he's basically been lying his arse off to us all? Then there's the rumour that there were to be a series of shorts, including a McGann regeneration scene, to air over the summer. Finally, Moffatt made some comment like 'well, you've all seen what's been filmed outside but you don't know what we've shot indoors!'

8. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Moffat (who didn't write that particular DWM news item) has certainly worked to create the impression that there is unannounced casting. Which there probably is... like Freema Agyeman and Noel Clarke, who both tweeted photographs of the two of them together, during the timeframe when the special was being shot. This just after Agyeman had tweeted "off to play with old friends."

You never know what they've got planned. But either way, there will be rumors of classic Doctors in the special up until the moment it's finished airing, because people never give up hope.

9. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

A Paul McGann regeneration scene would be awesome.

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope we at least get Sylvester McCoy, he could convincingly play his 1996 self. McGann too would be enough to make me jizz fan-love though.

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

same here.

12. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fingers crossed for McGann. A superb actor, and excellent Doctor, trapped in what is otherwise a 90-minute piece of absolute garbage. But he made it worth it. So, so worth it.

13. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm with everyone else - it just has to be McGann.

If he is indeed in it, I hope they stick with the 8th Doctor's current look:

[​IMG]

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it wouldn't.

There would be no context for it. There would be no story leading up to it. There would be no aftermath to it. It would exist only to check off a box and, as a result, would be the least effective regeneration since Sylvester McCoy pretended to be Colin Baker.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I disagree. If it happened during the Time War then we already know the context and the emotion the Doctor was feeling at the time. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with never knowing how it happened but I love McGann and if they're bringing him back then this is the most likely way.

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why would anybody prefer this over his original?

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Split the difference. Lose the tails and cravat, replace with a naval-style jacket and let him keep his short hair. Something like this, which I just happened upon on google.

18. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It could within the context of the Time War and telling the story of the birth of the Hurt Doctor. The aftermath would be that the Hurt Doctor was born in battle and ready to do things that went against the promise in his name.

It wouldn't be as effective a send-off for McGann as it would be an introduction for Hurt, but at this point actually seeing McGann as the Doctor again would be a sort of closure of it's own.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

For one, Paul McGann hated the wig he had to wear in the movie and he developed the above costume himself. I say go with what the actor is most comfortable with.

20. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Meh, there were classic Doctors in The Name Of The Doctor - they could easily do the same thing again, no need for new filming with them. Though it'd be nice.