Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TMNT 2003 would probably hold the record with seven seasons / 156 episodes + one movie

Other than shows that have been running since the 90s, Simpsons, South Park etc

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

We can but hope.

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

You do realize that the EU is probably going to get flushed in 2015 by Episode VII considering way less people read the tie-ins than will likely see that movie, right?

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I expect the EU to be turned into an alternate universe when EPVII is released. That way the hundreds of books/comics that fans have read/bought will still "count", but it won't interfere whatever plans they have for the SW universe after EPVII.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Has Star Wars ever used the concepts of time travel and parallel universes before? I know there have been some What If?-type stories, Star Wars Infinities or something, exploring hypothetical alternate outcomes of the movies, but were those intended as events that "actually" happened in other branches of the multiverse or just as "imaginary stories"?

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Wookieepedia article on time travel is here.

7. Set Harth

I don't understand how that has anything to do with what I said.

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Because every time you complain about The Clone Wars its basically about how it doesn't respect the EU enough or something.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's surprising how rarely SW has done anything involving time travel, since it's usually such a staple of the genre.

And they don't seem to have done anything with alternate/parallel timelines per se. All the Infinities-type stuff seems to be presented merely as "imaginary stories." So it doesn't seem there's any precedent for the idea of the extant EU being declared a "real" parallel branch of the multiverse.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Be thankful for small mercies.

11. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I'm glad time travel never became a convenient shortcut in the Lucas universe. It can get tiresome enough in Trek and while it's often executed very well in that franchise it just gets old, especially after Voyager when it seemed the writers could probably have used temporal anomalies to explain even hot coffee and normal humanoid respiration.

Leave alternate timelines and realities in the EU graphic novels and other stories where they don't have an actual impact on the history and stories of the films and television series.

12. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Time travel in Star Wars could be fun. They could have Luke travel back in time to the Clone Wars era. He'd probably start meddling in the events of Revenge of the Sith - trying to preventing the destruction of the Jedi, preventing Anakin from going to the dark side etc

13. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there an EU book called Crosscurrent that dealt with time travel? Otherwise, Star Wars has remained remarkably time travel free.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

It wasn't really time travel, it was a ship in the ancient past being caught in a time dilation mishap that dropped it into modern day time.

15. Set Harth

Yeah, forward time travel is easy.

I just did it a second ago!

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

17. cooleddie74

That's awesome!

18. Admiral_Young

Yeah. I'm seriously considering getting it now. I wonder what the directors cut episodes are that are included?

19. cooleddie74

This thread and one other snippet are all I've read thus far so I couldn't tell you. If I had to take a wild guess I'd say the recent Darth Maul arc might be one of the storylines with an unseen director's cut.

20. Admiral_Young

My only...nitpick that I have is the box art. Why aren't Anakin and Ahosoka on there? It seems odd just to have Obi-Wan on a complete series box art to me.