DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

All the best stories that has the Justice League banding together are about them confronting alien invasions.

The Appellaxians.

Darkside.

White Martians.

It's a running theme.

No it hasn't. The story in JLA is nothing close to Morrison's White Martians story other than having aliens from Mars.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus they aren't even really from Mars, they just invaded there first.

3. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Talk about an arc designed to confuse a general audience and the White Martians would be it. Ok so who are all these heroes I thought this was a Justice League movie? What? They are martians? White Martians? You mean there is more than one kind? Green? The Green martians are good guys? Wheres Batman??!!

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Yeah! 'Cause that Avengers movie was TOTALLY confusing, I mean, CHITARI? Wormholes? Like, WUT? I just wanted to see Iron Man walking and talking with Thor... :rolleyes:

It's called exposition. It's called plotting. The white martian storyline could be done. It's a question of SHOULD it be done.

Any DC story could potentially be described as "designed to confuse a general audience"--that's why they would be adapted.

5. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

^Yes but the Avengers had everything laid out in the previous movies so all that back story was taken care of. For the JLA we are jumping into the pot while the fire is roaring. I'm not saying it couldnt be done but it would be a whole lot to squeeze into a single picture.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

So, how about those COMICS? What's on everyone's list tomorrow? I've got:
    Action Comics
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    Green Lantern New Guardians
    Justice League
    Justice League of America
    Nightwing
    Wonder Woman

That's a really heavy week for me, but I guess it's making up for the light one last week

7. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Action
    Justice League (ToA arc.)
    Supergirl

8. Professor Zoom

As has been said, either in this thread or the Justice League movie thread, there was still plenty of exposition for those who hadn't seen Thor, Captain America or Iron man, things were reiterated--back story was repeated. Like who Thor was, and that Loki was his brother, that Cap had been frozen for 70 years, or that Iron Man is a genius, billionaire, phil-- you get the idea.

9. Trekker4747

But they were all "one sentence" back-stories. Back stories that mean more if you've seen their movies. If we hadn't have had their movies "one sentence back stories" wouldn't have very well established exactly who Thor was. Other than just being a god from legend, we wouldn't know who he is as a person or how he had to grow as one to become the hero he is.

10. Professor Zoom

That MEAN more, yes, but don't mean nothing. Not everyone who saw the Avengers saw Thor or Captain America or even Iron Man, or all three of those movies would have been billion dollar films.

So, clearly, people were able to follow the movie without having to have seen the others. Certainly you were rewarded if you have, but it wasn't a requirement.

Do we really NEED to know Thor's journey up to this point? Not really. We need to know that he's struggling with his brother. That he comes from another world. And we see his powers and character in action.

And do you really think Batman and Superman now movies to introduce and explain them to an audience? Wonder Woman doesn't require a two hour introduction to for an audience to get her.

No movie should require a two hour introduction in order to get a character... look at a movie like Oceans 11, eleven characters, explained quickly, easily. Look at The Incredibles... none of those characters had a movie to set up who they were and what they do.

11. Trekker4747

Batman and Superman, no, I don't think necessarily need introduction movies. They're pretty heavily ingrained in the public consciousness to know who they are, even the modern "darker" version of Batman is known over the Adam West campy version.

Wonder Woman I'd argue would need a movie to erase the 80s TV series version of her to bring audiences "up to date" on what her character is. And as mentioned before Aquaman certainly needs to reprogram people about him. Hell his OWN COMIC in the New 52 needed to do that!

Sure they were able to follow it, but seeing the other movies certainly would have increased the enjoyment. (I point out again that 90% of Robert Downey, Jr. cannot be enjoyed in Avengers without seeing, at least Iron Man 1.) It's what I recommended to people when Avengers was on the horizon, I said you don't need to see the other movies but seeing them will certainly make The Avengers more enjoyable as you'll have a better grasp on the characters. The only movie I didn't recommend was The Incredible Hulk as I didn't think it was necessary if not from the casting change alone. (Also because Hulk was probably the only character in The Avengers to have the "Superman/Batman" effect of people knowing who he is just from name alone, a giant green rage monster who comes from David Banner.)

It's not necessary, no, but I wouldn't say it's something that can be completely dismissed either. Again, individual movies worked for all of the Avengers' primary team members, built up the hype over several years and resulted in a billions-of-dollars franchise. Why try and to re-invent the wheel and hope you get lucky with that billion dollars just by tossing the team movie out there right away?

Build up the world, that's what Marvel did. I highly doubt The Avengers would have been as successful if they didn't do this world-building route and built up hype for the movie and anticipation for it over the course four or five years.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Batman also has epic moments in the "New World Order" arc. I'd explain things in the arc...not a lot, but J'onn would give brief explanations of the Civil War and it's factions and what eventually happened to Mars its self, not to overwhelm the audience or take them out of the movie, but enough to make them understand what's going on.

Anyway...my pulls for tomorrow are the following:

-Action Comics #17 (Morrison reveals the death of the Kents in this issue)
    -Justice League #17 (Conclusion of the Throne of Atlantis arc)
    -Wonder Woman #17

13. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

What are everyone's thoughts on Geoff Johns leaving the main Green Lantern title, and its impact on the other GL books?

I'm in the camp that liked his run up until the end of War of the Green Lanterns, however now I'm getting burned out on the book being event after event, Hal Jordan no longer being the focus of his own book and being sidelined for yet another earth lantern (Simon Baz) caused me to drop the book altogether.

I'm hoping the new writer knows how to write cosmic books and inject some fresh ideas into it while keeping the better parts of Johns works intact, and bring back Hal Jordan (yeah I know he's the "most boring character ever" but he's still one of my favorites :))

14. Admiral_Young

We discussed this a few pages back, for me this should have happened after "Blackest Night" since I believe Johns peaked with that...and the rumoured replacements for all the titles don't really interest me that much.

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there an arc in both stories with Batman being believed to killed while the rest of the team goes and gets captured leaving the (obviously) still alive Batman to reveal himself, free the other heroes and generally save the day?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  16. OdoWanKenobi

So, since Morrison is now staying on Action Comics until #18, is tomorrow's issue still a large sized $4.99 issue?

17. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, we don't need another Batman or Superman movie. Everyone knows all about those characters, but while everyone knows of Wonder Woman, what they actually know about her amounts to: Linda Carter, invisible airplane. She needs it.

18. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    So far as DC goes, Ill take a movie about any character other than Superman or Batman for the sake of variety. Green Lantern was a great move (whatever it might deserve in criticism) as it was an attempt to give the general audience something new so far as DC products go. Wonder Woman, Flash, even Ambush Bug would be of more interest to me than yet another Supes/Bats movie.

19. OdoWanKenobi

I would absolutely go see an Ambush Bug movie!

20. Admiral_Young

Action Comics 17 is still extra sized at 48 pages, next month's issue is 40 pages I believe.