Different Generations uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by los2188, Oct 6, 2012.

1. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't care for the revised uniforms. Unlike the FC uniforms, which were a real change, these look like a half-hearted attempt do something "different" for the film just for the sake of being different. Yet they are still, essentially, the TNG uniforms just with some minor tweaks.

Personally, though, the TNG series uniforms are my second-favorite Trek uniform design -- after the TWOK-era film uniforms -- and I wish they'd just stuck with them. I know the FC variant is very popular around here, but I prefer my Trek uniforms to have more color in them than that. Hence my preference for the TWOK era with its bold maroon jacket, and the TNG uniforms with their distinctive colors, over either the FC or DS9 uniforms.

2. bluepicard27

bluepicard27 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

i bet the guy who does starfleets budget messed up

3. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. I've often thought (without any foundation and very likely unfairly) the "We didn't want to introduce too many things at once" thing was just a polite excuse that wouldn't offend the costume designer in the same way "We realised they were awful" would.

4. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yes. That's a Season Three Worf figure, and the pants had a tiny bit of the chest-colour as trim.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

According to Richard Arnold's annual convention presentations of day, uniform changes are also pushed by the licensees. Playmates Toys had done tens and tens of action figures by the time of "Generations" and had won the new tender to do tie-ins for the movie. If Paramount had used the same design as the TNG series uniforms for "Generations", the only all-new figures that collectors would cherrypick from the set would have been the two Klingon women, Soren, Kirk, Chekov and Scotty, plus Worf in holodeck outfit and Kirk in orbital diving suit, leaving the key seven 24th century Starfleet characters of Picard, Riker, Data, et al hanging on the pegs.

When a uniform push is not enough, or not successful, the action figures undergo a change of scale. For "First Contact", of course, Playmates did both.

6. Utopianvista

Utopianvista Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I am one of the few think the TNG style uniform is perfect. I have never liked the gray version. I never really warmed up to the DS9 version either and wish they'd used the TNG one.

I suppose it'll be interesting, when we reach TNG season 7, to see how the uniforms/sets look in HD. That'll tell us if that whole "too worn down" thing is an excuse. Which I don't really buy since they redid the bridge to begin with.

7. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Is it just the poor quality is Riker wearing a Gold uniform there?

8. Kadratis

Kadratis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Nah, that's red. Just poor VHS quality. ;)

9. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

So where are the photos of the actors trying on these new unused costumes?

10. drmick

drmick Lieutenant Red Shirt

Apologies for bumpage: but that photo of Henry Reagan's admiral uniform- if it was from the original Generations uniforms- had to belong to Frakes- look at the gut!

11. 1moreRobot

1moreRobot Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm in agreement with you. At the time of First Contact, I initially liked the newly introduced uniforms. But looking back now, I really don't like how dominant that huge grey yoke is (particularly the men's versions). And how it's quilted (ugh). It goes over about as well as the pleated khaki pants I wore around the the same time.

I love the original TNG styles (yes even the season 1+2), followed by the DS9 jumper (the biggest complaint I have about it is how the undershirt occasionally took on a lavender tint), with the FC style in dead last.

For the original crew, I do admit to a definite fondness for the Maroon Monsters, although they look decidedly uncomfortable to wear and are a bit fussy in their insignia details.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You bumped a two year old thread just to make some silly comment?

13. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

While the comment does belong here, you can start a new thread. Let's keep the zombie threads to a minimum, okay, guys?

14. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

15. drmick

drmick Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was directed here from the thread in the DS9 board. It reads a bit more naturally if you read it alongside that one.