Farscape or Babylon 5?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kirk55555, Jul 30, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to share one of my favorite Farscape moments. This was actually on a Blastr list of great SF speeches, and it was one of my favorites of the bunch.
    http://youtu.be/_EMO14pRRRk (Very spoilery, so be careful if you haven't seen up to the last season yet).

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Farscape is like some weird amalgam of Firefly, Red Dwarf and Blake's 7. It's a fantastic show that I ordinarily wouldn't be able to recommend highly enough.

Given a 'that or Babylon 5' though, it would always have to be Babylon 5. B5's just that good. It's probably the only show that I'd rank higher than DS9 in the genre.

Its first season, on first glance, could be construed as hit and miss, and to be fair, there are some absolute stinkers of episodes in there. However, even those usually include a few nuggets of pivotal information that will be revealed later in the season, or sometimes even much later in the show's lifespan.

Seasons 2-4 are IMO, some of the best the genre's ever produced.

3. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I'm not so keen on several early second-season outings either, but I get the distinct impression I'm something of a rarity in that regard.

I'm heading out shortly, but I'll definitely check out that link later, JD. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. :D

And yeah, Londo and G'Kar... a lot of fans claim those two won them over straight out of the gate, but I'm not their biggest fan near the beginning of the series. G'Kar's kind of a really goofy antagonist-thing for at least a couple of episodes, isn't he? In retrospect it surely works, but I don't care for how he's handled in that regard "in the moment" with those first few outings.

Londo fares a bit better for me, but not by much.

Hot damn though, they get great rather quickly.

4. Angel4576

:eek:

I think there's only one episode in all of season 2 that I don't like!

Ultimately, they're probably two of the greatest characters in the series, but I doubt anyone could call that right out of the gate. A large part of what makes them such great characters is the journey that each of them goes on: where they start, where they go, and where they finish.

I think at the beginning, I felt pity for one of them, and revulsion for the other!

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think G'Kar took a few episodes to come into his own; essentially, once Straczynski stopped using him simply as a heavy and allowed for more wisdom and introspection ("Mind War," I think?) he became much more interesting. The same thing might be said about Crais on Farscape, of course. He's effective in "Premiere," but one-dimensional. He gets some important backstory in "That Old Black Magic" and only grows from there.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That was a fun scene. And you gotta love a show that actually titles an episode "We're So Screwed."

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since I posted the one scene, I have to post one of my other favorite Farscape moments. IMO I don't know how you could watch these two scenes and say Farscape didn't have good acting and writing. (If you have not seen the show DO NOT WATCH THIS. It's a huge spoiler and pretty much the conclusion to the show's whole arc).

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

That's a pretty good description! (Although I'd throw in a hefty dose of Buck Rogers as well.)

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

The thing with G'Kar was intentional though. It was pre-planned that he'd have his character arc where he'd start off as a two dimensional villain and you'd get to watch for five years as he slowly becomes <spoiler redacted>. Indeed, most of the main cast had similar arcs, though with the exception of Londo, none were quite so drastic.

And yes, the 'Mind War' b-story (specifically the "ant" speech) was the first glimpse we're given into what's really going on with him.

Crais on Farscape was a totally different situation. It was a dead-end, one dimensional character that they kept around largely because they liked the actor. His motivations appeared to change with the wind and you can really tell that they had no clear plan. Don't get me wrong, he was a good character and he became very interesting towards the end, but I wouldn't compare him to the likes of G'Kar on anything other than superficial terms.

10. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I was only listing the two as examples of characters that started off as one-dimensional heavies and developed into much more complex people. Obviously their specific arcs and the circumstances surrounding their creation and development are quite different. Whether it was planned or not is really irrelevant; neither character was really interesting until they were given more depth and nuance than in their first appearance.

(And I still don't understand what "pre-planning" is supposed to mean when describing the creation of Babylon 5; "planning" describes it just as well and with more efficiency).

I have to disagree that Crais' motivations changed because the writers had no clear plan for the character. His motivations did change, but logically, as the character developed and we learned more about him. The writers didn't have it all down on paper at the beginning -- thankfully, as Lani Tupu's performance influenced how the character was written, and for the better -- but they didn't push the character around to fit the plot willy-nilly.

(Trying not to have any meaningful spoilers here, since the OP hasn't seen either series).

11. Quinton O'Connor

Oh man, I just watched those two scenes.

Tiiiime to watch the show again.

12. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

My favorite, most emotionally charged scene.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TocBiVkPdVs[/yt]

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

So much for not putting spoilers out there. :sigh:

14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, its not that bad. I don't know who or what Tayln is, or what his end is (although my money would be on it being his demise). I'm not going to watch the video. Still, spoilers would be appreciated :rommie:

15. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Purple

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Reading this thread, last night I was watching some of my favorite clips from my favorite episode of the series, "The Way We Weren't", from season 2. I don't think there was any other series that did character development as well as Farscape did. You always hear the thing about you don't have to watch Season 1 to understand the characters. Well, with Farscape, you're cheating yourself if you don't watch Season 1 because of the consequences you see in Season 2. I watch clips of TWWW, understanding what has happened to both Aeryn and Pilot up to that point, it's a really rewarding experience, not to mention Black and Tupu/The Puppeteers pulled off a masterpiece in their own right.

I think that's why I love Farscape more than any other show. The cast was brilliant, the stories were compelling, and the show knew how to reward it's audience with timely revelations and fantastic acting. I can't say the same thing for most shows I've seen, including Babylon 5 (Which had great acting and great revelations as well, just not as good).

17. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got extremely lucky. I was ordering from Amazon (my order of B5 came first yesterday with money I got early) with the rest of the money that I got today I was planning to order Elder scrolls 5: Skyrim for the PS3. I was ordering it for me and my brother, after that I was sure I wouldn't have enough money for another season, which is why I made this thread before I decided what season I was going to get. But, Skyrim was cheaper then I expected (I always buy used on Amazon) and, I was able to get Farscape season 1 :):cool::hugegrin:

I appreciate the responses in this thread. I didn't think I would be able to get both, so it helped make my decision. I'm SUPER excited to get both first seasons, and I'm sure I'll be getting more seasons after that.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Grandmother?!!? :alienblush: But... but... they were just ON. A few years ago!

Must adjust my brain clock to "old" some day.

Nah.

19. Quinton O'Connor

For what it's worth, she was still pretty darn young at the time! She was only 48 when B5 started and 54 when Farscape began.

And you're on a roll, kirk -- Babylon 5, Farscape and Skyrim combined offer you hundreds of hours of entertainment!

20. Angel4576

^^ Indeed, he's only missing Mass Effect........! :lol: