Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, the unfortunate thing is the first two movies picked the villains that I thought were unequivocally logical as the first two. But they weren't well-executed, which makes me want them to do it better. However, that would prevent other villains from being seen, so I agree that isn't ideal either.

2. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh of course, although I'd much rather Dr. Doom be much closer to his comic counterpart -spending most of his time in Latveria or in the Latverian Embassy in NYC and sort of looked at this really strange political ruler - sort of like Kim Jong Un - he's a dictator but no one really wants to really deal with him.

Secondly with Galactus - he'd be a good capstone to a new FF trilogy. But I'd just as soon stick with the rest of the FF rogues gallery - there's plenty of material to mine that could be great if given a chance.

But I would like to see some kind of cross over with the mutants of X-Men - maybe people thinking the FF are muties even though they aren't. Or even set up a sort of quasi-Illuminati thing - sans Iron Man of course - but they could still have Reed, Black Bolt, Prof. X, Namor and Dr. Strange would be a bit tricky - dunno who has the rights to them - but I'd hope it's Marvel Films/Disney

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Eh, I'd rather not have any X-Men crossovers with other characters. IMO, that always muddies the universe rather than benefits it. With the others, it's fine because there's no civil rights subtext with a debate about whether mutants are humans or not. Having someone with special powers who got them through some other means undercuts the message. I think having the Fantastic Four confused for mutants is a perfect example. It's not really consistent with the Fantastic Four's tone and would be a sideshow from an X-Men perspective. Also, given that there are hundreds of mutant characters to draw from, crossovers are also unnecessary.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Marvel Studios is developing a Dr. Strange movie as part of their MCU "Phase Three" (i.e. the wave of movies after Avengers 2). And from what I can tell, they also have the movie rights to Sub-Mariner and the Inhumans. So that would preclude an Illuminati-type group in the Fox movies, since they only have rights to Reed and Xavier.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

There have been reports that they want to a Planet Hulk film for phase three with Planet Hulk taking place after "Avengers 2" and then "Avengers 3" being "World War Hulk". They do indeed have the rights for the Inhumans, Namor, and Black Panther so an MCU Illuminanti film is very possible. They'd just have to figure out a spot to replace the mutant representative since they wouldn't have the rights to fill that spot.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  6. Christopher

^Why not Thor? As an Asgardian, he's one of the most powerful beings on the planet in the MCU. He's also royalty, putting him in the same league as Namor, T'Challa, and maybe Black Bolt.

7. Admiral_Young

I don't think Thor would not go along with some of the Illuminanti's decision making processes. That's why Tony is there anyway, i think Bendis mentality was that out of the three "Trinity" members of the Avengers Tony is the most forward thinking of them and able to make the "tough decisions". Even though he is fairly new in the MCU I think that mentality still works. It'd be an interesting choice but I don't see him meshing very well with the others at the table.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

They should just base the movie on FF #1. The Mole Man's monsters would look pretty cool done up in CGI, and the origin would be summed up briefly in flashback.

9. Admiral_Young

Yeah that was what I was thinking, or at least have the Mole Man appear and they deal with it and that is what establishes themselves as heroes in the public's eye...I'm sure Trank plans on using Doom in this. I'd probably use the Negative Zone right off the bat and perhaps Annilhilus. Really explore that imaginaut concept of the FF.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I once had a similar idea in which you saw the origin pretty much verbatim as it is in the comics (so, quite cheesy...) and then it pulls back and it's a clip from Fantastic Four: The Movie and Reed Richards is on a chat show.

11. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What I really think Marvel and the other studios need to do is work out some kind of shared custody of the Universe kinda thing - I mean the above poster saying that "well the X-Men's civil rights issue would be undercut by the FF" - which is pointless really since in the main Marvel Universe -the FF are right there alongside the Mutants and such. But it's the Mutants that get the flak. Could actually be an interesting story - the Fantastic Four or Avengers or some other super heroes do the same thing the X-Men do, but the X-Men have bottles thrown at them and told "Muties go home!" while the FF are given awards and people ask for their autographs. Sort of a "well that's not fair, they got powers too."

I think it could work. I still see no reason why a rebooted FF couldn't play nicely within the First Class rebooted X-Men really. Or why they couldn't name drop from the Marvel Films and Sony. ASM almost did cross over with MF and y'know even in the comics each character and team can be totally indepedent from each other. X-Men stories usually focus on just the X-Men, same with FF or Avengers. Heck, it feels like that failed inititive from the late 90s pre-Heroes Reborn when Marvel was segregated. Spider-Man was it's own little pocket. Avengers was in its own little pocket. X-Men were in their own little pocket. Marvel Edge was the "supernatural and more 'edgy' stuff like Ghost Rider, Nightstalkers, Punisher, Morbius. It wasn't until the Onslaught event that they changed the editorial mandate and let crossovers happen again.

Their thing was a few characters here and there could cross over as long as it didn't interfere with what was going on in other stories. Like if say, Human Torch wasn't really being used, as the current FF stories were all about Reed and Sue, then Torch could pop up in Spider-Man but that was about it. Each editor had their own "domain" and that was that.

It seems like that is what is happening with the movies and TV shows - you've got the X-Men with one "Editor" , the FF with one "Editor" you got Spider-Man with one "Editor" and the Avengers and the general "Marvel Universe" under another.

Although since Disney does have deep pockets - hell they own Star Wars AND Marvel sooner or later Disney is going to get it into their lawyer's heads that the only studio that "Deserves" to have the valuable IP that is the Marvel Universe is Disney/Marvel Films and Sony and Fox will eventually lose what they had - which would be a good/bad thing since that'd probably mean we'd get 'reboots' again...

12. Christopher

I'd be happier if the FF and Spider-Man were licensed to the same movie studio, since those characters have a long history together, and Spidey's actually been a member of the FF (in one form or another) in recent years. So a crossover between them -- maybe a Future Foundation movie, or at least some good old-fashioned Spidey-Torch rivalry -- would be nice to see.

Names are intellectual property. They couldn't name-drop without permission from the license-holder. Sure, a movie can refer to a character from another franchise as a fictional character -- for instance, Aunt May in Spider-Man 2 telling Peter "You're not Superman, you know" -- but if you're claiming that character actually exists as a real person in your movie's universe, then that's using the character as part of your story, however peripherally, and you need permission for that.

So as you say, it would be nice if the respective license-holders could work out a cooperative agreement so they could reference each other's films. But it's not something they can just casually do.

13. Admiral_Young

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

15. Admiral_Young

Excellent news :)

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Sounds like we'll be hearing some casting news very soon, then. :techman:

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. Admiral_Young

I've no clue who she is...I have seen mention of her, but she looks like she could be Susan. Casting is going to be very interesting to keep an eye on.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm having trouble separating her from her character on Girls though I'm not really familiar enough with Sue Storm to have a strong opinion about how she should be portrayed.

20. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I just read a headline that said 'Girls' Star Could Land Big New Role and I knew it would be Allison Williams.