Episode of the Week : The Menagerie Parts 1 and 2

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Botany Bay, May 11, 2014.

?

Rate "The Menagerie" Parts 1 and 2

Poll closed May 18, 2014.
  1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. 7

4 vote(s)
    17.4%
  8. 8

9 vote(s)
    39.1%
  9. 9

7 vote(s)
    30.4%
  10. 10

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. Botany Bay

Botany Bay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Solid outing and the only way to see "The Cage" footage for a really long time. Incorporating the footage gave the series a sense of history that might not have been there otherwise.

3. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

The plot holes keep it from being a 10, but the concept and execution were superb and gave an interesting glimpse at what might have been.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I think that this thread should have a simpler voting option--1 beep for yes, 2 beeps for no.

5. BillJ

:lol:

6. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Voted a solid 8, not a great episode but the inclusion of the pilot episode makes this one a classic. One thing about this is that in some respects I like the edit of "The Cage" parts better in "The Menagerie" than I do in the full "The Cage." The fight with the Kalar edit is much better in "The Menagerie." In "The Cage" it always drives me crazy when Pike knocks the Kalar down the stairs and then Vina and Pike sit there and have a conversation instead of running. Not so in "The Menagerie" version.

7. The Old Mixer

The framing story is contrived but the inclusion of "The Cage" elevates it to a great episode in the Trek canon. Back in the day you didn't have the option to see watch the full version of "The Cage", and borrowing "The Menagerie" from the library and being quite intrigued by the "Cage" aspects of the episode was a significant step on my path to becoming a Trek fan. I give this episode one resounding beep.

8. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

9. An excellent outing that may have saved Star Trek by preventing multiple missed delivery dates. Shatner's portrayal of Kirk shines in comparison to grumpy Jeff Hunter.

9. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not grumpy, just bored. :p

10. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Love this one. The framing story is wonderfully detailed and executed. In an era when just sitting around and reminiscing would be an excuse for a clip show (or in the case of Irwin Allen, just writing in the stock footage), great care of taken to show how this story fit into Trek’s continuity and how it was STILL a story about Kirk – even though Kirk didn’t exist when The Cage was filmed.

Easily my favorite exchange in the episode, if not the series, is between Kirk and Bones about suspecting Spock. The music choices and the actors’ performances are top grade. McCoy, for the first time, sides with Spock and is totally wrong. Kirk won’t let his friendship with the Vulcan color his judgment, which is a great piece of characterization. Often, when this episode was rerun in my market, it was a big deal. “See Star Trek’s only two part episode! At a special time! The Menagerie on 11 Alive!”

Plot holes? Sure. Great entertainment? Absolutely! A solid 9.

11. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Those were the times when the station left out the teaser and credits for Part II and the audience got to see scenes normally cut in syndication.

12. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the menagerie so much I had to give it a 10. I don't like the death penalty malarky and the trial barely holds water but I love Number One and the Talosians. Vina is one of my top 10 sci fi heroines. She is an intelligent, well-rounded character, and so much better than many of the camp bimbos we got as officers and crewmen in the later shows.

13. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The part 2 is weaker. Why the hearing suddenly resumes with only Kirk, Pike, Mendez and Spock? It doesn't help the trial setting at all. I think a shorter introduction could have allowed to have a better developed conclusion. On the other hand, it was a touchy and ambitious exercise, so it couldn't be perfect and it remains a really great contribution to the Star Trek's universe.
    At least, it made him convincing as a Captain close to the burn out. :p

14. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Bored? Keep dreaming.

15. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I noticed that, too. I guess Pike thought the fall was good enough? Maybe that would be the 23rd century notion of not beating a monster when he's down?

I vote 8. Solid, adds a great deal to the back story and adds more to the universe of Star Trek.

I really like how devious Spock can be, he is a dangerous man. I also really like the intro to part 2, it's very dramatic and Throne and Nimoy are perfect in it.

I just don't like how the picture stopped with no explanation and then back from commercial were back like that out didn't happen. That's my main complaint.

I wonder how the keeper transmitted and illusion of Commodore Mendez from Talos all the way to Starbase 11, but I guess we don't need answers to all the questions.

17. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will add that when TOS was released on Blu-Ray; "The Menagerie" was shown in theaters and it was an awesome experience seeing true TOS on the big screen. Also, the fact that the theater was sold out was very cool.

18. BillJ

I was sad that no theaters in my are played it.

19. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Spock: This is thirteen years ago...

I love this episode, in which for the first time (for most of us) we get to see a younger "happier" Spock, Kirk's predecessor, a pre-TOS Enterprise, and the lovely Susan Oliver as Vina. I give it a nine.

20. The Old Mixer

Sometimes happier...sometimes yellier....

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=703HLytSAFQ[/yt]