The Grey Jumpsuits Why Are The Crew Wearing Them ??

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Nero's Shadow, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

So we've seen most of the crew wearing the grey jumpsuits over there Division uniforms. Do you think we will get an explanation for why they are wearing them. ? IMO I think starfleet has gone to some kind of war footing all alert status maybe starfleet have been told to keep a low profile ?? So why do you think ???

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

They are flight suits I believe.

How would wearing one identifiable common uniform be any different from any other identifiable common uniform?

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Obviously some sort of mission specific uniform variant. The Abrams movies have all kinds of these, one thing about them which is realistic.

4. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's probably an Abramsverse take on what scientists, engineers and colonists always wore in the Original Series. Nimoy spends most of Spock's Brain in a green boiler suit.

Maybe it's what they're all wearing on another starship being visited. Or Kirk's crew have them too, for times when they're more practical than a TOS style jersey and trouser/mini-skirt. The clear parts around the shoulders, allowing the department colours underneath to be seen, are a subtle (not so offputting I suppose) reminder of Star Trek: Enterprise.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I don't see why. No explanation was required when jackets were worn over uniform tunics by landing party members in "The Cage" or in any episodes of Enterprise which featured same. Did anyone at any point explain why Kirk was wearing a jacket in The Wrath of Khan?

I still think multiple punctuation is unnecessary, and particularly so when used with great frequency.

6. ROBE

ROBE Commander Red Shirt

Real life navies wear several uniforms based on situation and job.
    Darkness has:
    Formal Dress
    Starship uniform
    Shuttle uniform
    Space Suit
    Scuba Diving
    Away Team

7. FlapJoy

FlapJoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe they're cold.

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Harrison: It is very cold... in space.

9. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

in the nine minutes preview, didn't other characters wear one similar when
    Spock is lovered inside the volcano and Uhura and Sulu were piloting the shuttle that transported him?

I also have read a spoiler about Scotty
    he will pilot a shuttle at one point too and he was wearing that uniform as well

so I have assumed it's an uniform designed for that
    it makes sense to me that they have different uniforms depending on the mission no need for an explanation, at all.

10. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, Sulu & Uhura are wearing them in that shuttle scene over their wetsuits.