The 11-foot TOS Enterprise model-

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by jayrath, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It almost looks photoshopped. Just imagine the nacelles and how they extend away from the primary hull. It looks like they'd be sticking through the floor at this angle.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's a real photo, but it's always fun on teh Intarnets when folks start talking suspiciously about Photoshopping.

Craig Thompson

I don't know whether the sensor dish used at the Smithsonian is the original, but the "antenna" was fabricated for the 1992 restoration and does not match the original in detail.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

If I recall correctly I've seen that photo decades ago and long before Photoshop. I believe there were other shots of that date that went along with it.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We can clear this up by looking at the pixels.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

http://web.archive.org/web/20060703121136/http://members.aol.com/IDICPage/1972Voyage.html

6. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, are you arguing that faked photos are impossible without Photoshop? Mind you, I'm not contending that the photo of Thompson with the Enterprise model is faked. Conversely, the advent of Photoshop (and other image editors) is not a guarantee of realism. Visit Photoshop Disasters sometime. The most extreme examples are when professional graphic artists distort the human form* or add extra limbs, etc.

* For some really bizarre examples, see EscherGirls—women with rubber spines and other contortions.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Photographs and film have been manipulated since the beginning of both. What I meant was that that photo has been around for a very long time and quite unlikely to have been manipulated. The difference is that something like Photoshop makes such manipulation relatively easy (hell, I do it all the time for fun) but back in the day it was a lot trickier. Still if you follow the link up thread you see other shots of the ship at the same time and learn that it isn't Gary Kerr in the picture. It makes sense, too, because if it was Gary he'd be a lot older today than he actually is.

If I recall correctly one of the most famous examples of bogus photography was of film footage purporting to show the actual sinking of the U.S.S. Maine. It was trotted out to the public as live footage yet in reality was a staged fabrication of a model kit in a tank of water.

8. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Getting off-topic for a moment, but I don't quite see the point of that blog. It seems to be all about drawings of women in comics and manga. Of course they don't look "real." They're cartoons!

10. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey!! That's my site!!! lol

Glad I was able to help and I hope you enjoyed the site. I have been working on some stuff that I will be posting over there in the future so stay tuned.

11. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^Nice collection, but you can't really copyright pictures you didn't take.

12. feek61

^^^
    Took care of it; thanks.

13. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

Feek61,

I don't know how to get a hold of you, so when you get a moment please PM me. I have a high-resolution scan of a bridge graphic I want to send you.

Dave

14. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey Feek61, the link isn't working. Can you restore it for us?

15. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I second that. It contained the only still available photo proof of the original "Tail Pipe Socket" text sign sticker (below the starboard nacelle pylon).

Bob

16. feek61

Dave,
    Couldn't get a hold of you because I don't yet have the minimum 50 post needed to be able to PM but please email me at:

tosgraphics69 - at - gmail.com

I will be looking for you and if anyone else can PM Dave for me and give him my email address that would be grand.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  17. feek61

I did get a hold of Dave so no need to PM him for me. BTW, Dave REALLY hooked me up!! Thank you Dave!!

18. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know how the warp nacelles are tapered, so they have a smaller diameter at the aft end?

Question: was this a styling choice, meaning the audience was supposed to see it?

Or was it a trick intended to create forced perspective and make the model look huge? If it was just a forced perspective feature, then you could argue that the "real" nacelle design is a straight cylinder.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  19. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Probably both. Think of how the Enterprise's nacelles would look if they were simple cylinders with a constant diameter. They'd look clunky and tail-heavy.

The full-size mockup of the Galileo shuttlecraft had a slight decrease in width from back to front for the same reasons.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Your source for that assertion? Everything I've studied about the Galileo has never indicated that.