DVD/Blu-Ray Coming November 17th

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Devon, Jul 17, 2009.

1. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

I'm interested in the limited edition with the Enterprise model disc-holder. I wonder how many it holds.

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

If it's the same as the one offered at Amazon.de, I think it holds just the three-disc Blu-Ray set (the discs fit inside the saucer.) However, I also remember seeing something about a similar offer for Oz which contained the two-disc DVD set.

Edit:

I think this is the Australian one.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  3. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

^ Yes, that's it, thanks. If it's only 27cm in total, it certainly wouldn't hold much more than just this film.

Better off getting Blu-ray, which has additional features and is barely half the price. Limited edition or not, I don't want to pay an extra $30 for a little Enterprise model which takes up far more shelf space than the discs...

4. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

5. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

fantastic stuff did you see the gag reel yet it is totally awesome

6. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have heard that the Bluray rip is 720p...

I thought Bluray resolution was 1080p? ie. 1920 pixels wide in terms of resolution.

Is that not the case?

7. PhasersOnStun

PhasersOnStun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm sure you heard wrong. I've not seen a single recent blu-ray for sale at a resolution lower than 1080p.

8. Kpnuts

by rip I mean what's available for download online

9. PhasersOnStun

Ah....I see. Sorry, I've never downloaded a movie illegally.

However, why don't you go to this website:
    http://www.fbi.gov/ and let them know that you'd like to steal Star Trek, and see if they'll help you out.... :p

Sorry if that's smarmy, but I take intellectual property rights very seriously. This actually happened to me a few years ago: I am an administrator of the largest online Logic Pro users group. I asked a question about techniques for accomplishing some rather esoteric routing, and one of the posters, intending nothing but to be helpful, sent me a kracked PDF of my very own book! (obviously, he didn't realize I'd written it)

Needless to say, I explained the situation and he apologized and told me where he downloaded it (don't worry, I can be an ass, but I'm not so much of an ass that I held him responsible or tried to sue him or anything. ;) ).

But please, please remember that there are people—and I don't mean rich people, I mean welders, propmasters, key grips, union workers, assistants, and so on—who rely on these movies (and music, books, and so on) to earn their regular living. Every sale, however small it may seem compared to the overall total, in the grand scheme means that Paramount will continue to make movies and hire those people to make them.

The internet is awesome. I love it. It allows us to interact with each other on an unprecedented level, allows artists and consumers of art to interact in profound and hopefully rewarding ways, and gives us amazing access to goods and services. I hate to sound like your dad (especially since I may not be old enough to be that!) but please (and not just with Star Trek, but in general) save up the money and buy the Blu-Ray or DVD, don't download it (or ANYTHING) illegally.

Thank you for reading. I'm getting off my soapbox now. :)

10. Kpnuts

[​IMG]

I really don't need you to be all preachy and tell me about the merits of buying things legally.

I asked a simple question about the resolution of Bluray. Nothing more, nothing less. Not that it's of any business of yours to know, but I intend to buy the Bluray and DVD, regardless of me bringing up online ripped copies.

Less of the condescending, unwanted attitude, particularly with a link to some website. Thanks.

11. Burek

Burek Guest

For those interested in details, i made small blog post and Amazon collection of all FOUR different releases of ST 11... You can see any detail you need there. (Most ist true there, but details are details for those who are into it) See it here: Star-Trek-Movie-2009-on-DVD-Release-Date

[Link removed. - M']

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2009
  12. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Burek, your link has been removed because solicitation is not permitted under the board rules by which you agreed to abide when you registered here. Please don't do that again.

13. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How come the WORST movie of the summer (aka Transformers 2) gets an earlier release?

Didn't that crapfest open two months after Trek did?

14. PhasersOnStun

I thought GI Joe was the worst movie of the summer? ;)

I'm guessing it has to do with how long the movies were expected to last in the theater. Transformers 2 didn't have as long a run as Star Trek.

15. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No way... They were both bad, but GI Joe was by far the lesser of two evils.

16. Kpnuts

GI Joe was silly on purpose and was fully aware of how stupid it was....

T2 was just cringe-worthingly bad.

17. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The DVD release dates were probably decided on well before the films ever hit the theaters. Trek, being seen as not quite a "sure thing", was probably scheduled for mid-November to get the boost of being new on the shelves for the Christmas buying season. TF2 was probably not perceived as needing that boost to move copies.

18. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

19. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm thinking of upgrading to Blu-Ray for this release.

I'm not able to view HD content yet, but one can get a sub-$100 Blu-Ray player on my budget.

The extra features not on the DVD, coupled with the 4 department badges (Walmart Exclusive) would suit me to the ground.

It also saves me from purchasing the film a second time when I upgrade the TV down the line.

Might even get the rest of the movies in Blu.

20. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I moved over to purchasing BDs over a year before getting an HDTV (I had a PS3 though). I figured it made sense since I was eventually going to get an HDTV. I've done the same thing with my parents (we got them a BD player, and they'll eventually get an HDTV somewhere down the line).