CBS Developing 2 New Treks?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by David.Blue, Nov 29, 2013.

1. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

2. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

First: pretty thin first post with just a link and no substance.
    Second: Not buying it.
    Third: That starship picture is a Cryptic Original from Star Trek Online, a variant of the Prometheus class.

3. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

Fair is fair.

According to this website CBS is developing two new Trek series. One would be a futuristic CSI-esque show, the other a medical show. The photo associated is just of some random ship from VOY I think.

In theory this would be scheduled in 2014.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

*cough*BULLSHIT*cough*

Websites making things up to drive traffic to their sites.

6. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

To repeat myself: The site is a satire site. An Onion type site base around first responders

It's a fake.

I would have thought the STO ship in the image being billed as the "new ship" would have been a big clue.

Wonder how long is this going to take to die out before fans stop buying this? Star Trek fandom has gotten really easy to troll with fake news.

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

You mean Captain Worf isn't coming either?

9. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

If it pleases the court, defense would like to present Exhibit A, a sound bite from JJ Abrams himself in an interview with Entertainment Weekly about his forthcoming television series Almost Human:

Further elaborated upon here. (19 November 2013)

Exhibit B: CBS has control over whether new series will be made, which frustrated JJ Abrams and is a likely contributing factor to his leaving Star Trek for Disney's upcoming "Star Wars VII" project. (15 May 2013)

So, unless there's some news that has come up since that interview on the 19th, or I'm just being super arrogant in not bothering to read the rest of this thread, I doubt there will be a TV series anytime soon.

Summary judgment: It ain't gonna happen. Court is adjourned. You may now return to spamming, flaming and trolling.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Abrams doesn't own Trek. He was always playing with someone else's toys. Paramount gave him more or less a blank check with the movies, but that's as far as it goes.

As far as why Abrams left directing Trek for Star Wars, I think that's just a case of him having always been a really big Star Wars fan (even before he came to Trek), and it was too tempting a gig to pass up.

11. doubleohfive

I never stated that Abrams owned Star Trek. Your supposition aside, did you even read the articles I linked to?

They explicity state that Abrams wanted to launch a multiplatform of content, including in television with the Star Trek brand, which he was unable to do because CBS was dragging its heels and playing carrot with him. Disney, which owns Star Wars now, through and through, can actually deliver on that promise which is likely a major contributing factor to Abrams' departure.

12. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

In regards to the title thread and/or link that I haven't clicked on, "CBS Developing A New Trek" would've at least sounded plausible.

It seems to me like there's some degree of bad blood between CBS and JJ Abrams. I wouldn't put it passed JJ Abrams to be cynical and to have sour grapes. I also wouldn't put it passed CBS to want to develop their own version of Star Trek. I could buy into it.

CBS wanting to develop two series? Not so much.

13. C.E. Evans

Did you actually read the post I wrote? It didn't matter what Abrams wanted or what his feelings were. CBS is in the driver's seat when it comes to Trek on the TV front, not Abrams nor Paramount.

There was--and apparently presumably still is--some long bad blood between CBS and Viacom (owner of Paramount Pictures), and it was one of the reasons the two companies went their separate ways nearly a decade ago. There's bound to be disagreements when someone wants CBS to do something with Trek it really doesn't want to do.

14. doubleohfive

I never suggested he did. All I did was point out that Abrams was likely able to find a deal and setup more in line with what his ultimate goals were for the franchise at Disney with Star Wars than what Paramount coudl offer with Star Trek.

Not really seeing why this is so unclear.

15. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

CBS has no interest in returning Trek to the small screen, and honestly until either Les Moonves leaves or CBS takes NBC's 4th place crown away and becomes the low-man on the totem pole, I don't see such changing.

And as much as I love trek, I'm also terrified of what a new show might be, and so for the foreseeable future, I'm happy to be without it simply to prevent it from being further diminished.

And that's not a total swipe at the Abrams films -- they serve a valid purpose of bringing new fans in, I've seen it first hand. I just find them lacking in substance and quality and so I'm glad they're only a single film every few years rather than a series or some such. You know?

16. Alpha Romeo

Alpha Romeo Vice Admiral Admiral

That website is a farce. It's like the Onion.com

17. C.E. Evans

Probably because it isn't what you originally said, but whatever, it's a moot point anyway since it's an issue of two different franchises with different owners and goals.

18. doubleohfive

All I originally "said" was to link to some articles confirming the shows wouldn't happen and the behind the scenes reasons why CBS/Paramount didn't have the ability to make it happen the way JJ wanted to do it.

But you are right, this conflation of things is getting ridiculous.

19. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm tired of people blaming Moonves. Repeat after me, "Moonves does not hate science fiction, Moonves hates money losing genres." Show Moonves real evidence/market research that Star Trek will make more money for CBS than Big Bang/CSI and he will green light a series tomorrow. Until then he will do what every good CEO does, maximum shareholder value.

20. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have been very under the impression that CBS bought Paramount's television interests, which meant that they "inherited" STAR TREK. Perhaps ... not even really "wanting" it. And then, after having gotten "burned," basically, with the failure of ENTERPRISE, kind of lost any real interest in any future STAR TREK series, as long as Paramount still retains STAR TREK movie rights. If you look at the "official" STAR TREK site - startrek.com - it's very evident by its crappy state that "they" don't care, whilst other CBS properties have official sites that are of much higher quality. It would also explain how tolerant CBS is of STAR TREK novels and Fan Movies, where Bad Robot is much more protective of its interests, where STAR TREK is concerned.