Which species from Trek do you most identify with?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Vulcan Logician, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

Vulcans leaders are much better at self sacrifice. I imagine Romulan leadership only cares about themselves.

2. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Getting back to the premise of this thread, what does that have to do my ability to identify with them? I don't condone their xenophobic tendencies. I do admire their dedication to duty and service, even if that service is largely for their own benefit.

--Sran

3. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Human. Most of the ST species have some kind of aspect of humanity beside just walking upright on two legs.

4. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Of course! All Trek species, in some way, exemplify an aspect of humanity. The alien species represent a sort of hyperbole of human qualities. The essence of this thread is to ask if any of these hyperbolic characteristics align with a poster's personality to a great degree.
    I am glad to see that no one has yet identified with Cardassians. :cardie:

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Silly question. I had remembered Thelin from "Yesteryear" and then reading Bjo Trimble's description of Andorians in her "Star Trek Concordance". Even the lisp sounded familiar. I hadn't seen any live-action Andorians at that point, except for brief glimpses in ST:TMP. And a few studio stills.

My first Trek costume in early 1980 was a therefore a no-brainer. And a huge challenge. A friend's grandmother donated the white wig, which were impossible to buy in Sydney in 1980. (All I could find were judge's wigs.)

[​IMG]
    TOS Therin as a redshirt by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

6. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

In that case it's more like slefishnes than service.

7. Captain Clark Terrell

Is it selfish for a British citizen to serve his or her government? A Romulan's first duty is to the Romulan Empire.

--Sran

8. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

That;s not how they the people on the top ofm the pyramid think.

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Maybe not, but what does that have to do me or my empathy for Romulans? One may identify with certain aspects of a culture without being swayed by the culture's more negative elements.

--Sran

10. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^ The bowl cuts and shoulder pads ruin it for me.

Come to think of it, most ST aliens could use a serious makeover, so maybe that's not a dealbreaker.

11. Captain Clark Terrell

I don't care for that look either. I prefer the Romulans as they were in The Original Series.

--Sran

12. Statja Q'bel

Statja Q'bel Ensign Red Shirt

Denobulans. I enjoy their sense of community and family, their curiosity, and their sense of humor. I love Dr. Phlox's character, and if he were a real person, I imagine I would really enjoy talking with him.

13. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pakleds - I need things to make me go.

14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

That's a great outfit. How did you make the antennae?

15. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Romulan commanders weren't evil because they were promoted. They were promoted because they were evil.

Being ruthlessly cold and calculating, and absolutely loyal to your superiors and a government that worked solely for cultural expansion at the expense of civilian prosperity was the only way to get a high ranking government job. It was the sort of government where anybody who opposed the party got secretly disappeared.

On Earth, well, depends what company you work for. Some companies promote based on competence, some based on politics, and some based on how good you are at keeping your illegal behavior secret. If you earned your promotion and aren't dumping chemicals into rivers or buying companies for the sole purpose of selling off their assets, you're fine.

The argument 'A Romulan's first duty is to the government' is the same as saying 'The CEO's first duty is to the shareholders'. It's technically correct but it doesn't excuse the immoral, harmful behavior it's invoked to justify.

16. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Betazoid/Vulcan hybrid.

I'm often confused about my feelings and always torn between logic and my emotions.

Oh and I really love the Trill people...maybe since I'm so confused...Joined Trill would also do! Also I feel like I could go in so many directions at once, am interested in so many things...kind of like Ezri was when she became joined only not as annoying....I hope...

I'm like Ezri when she goes to the replicator...can't make a freakin' decision.

17. Captain Clark Terrell

I doubt the Romulans would see it that way. And there are several instances of honorable men and women earning high-ranking positions within the Romulan military or government.

I'm not sure the Romulans were interested in cultural expansion or conquest, at least not in the twenty fourth century. Rarely are they seen attempting to take territory away from an enemy. On the contrary, they adopt more of an isolationist stance, protecting their borders from outsiders. They even sign a non-aggression pact with the Dominion in order to avoid committing their military to war.

Maybe not. I still don't see what that has to do with my admiration for certain aspects of their culture. No one has provided an answer to that question.

--Sran

18. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I thought long about this question but I got to say Humans. Intuitive, striving to do ones best, a fascination with exploration and space, and even learning through trial and error.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Your admiration is for their devotion to duty and country, but what I'm trying to point out is that to have that devotion they have to turn a blind eye to their harsh intolerance of dissent. There's devotion and there's blind devotion. Garak understood the difference, but we've only seen a handful of Romulans who did.

And there are plenty of times the Romulans have tried to acquire territory. They spent season three trying to provoke war with the Federation in a manner that the Federation could appear the aggressors, they tried to invade Vulcan incompetently, and I share Sisko's doubts that they left Benzite after the Dominion War was over. They've also got a fairly large Empire that they couldn't have built up without conquering a ton of planets inside their borders. They were clever conquerers, but they were clearly conquerers. Make no mistake that there are probably dozens of Bajors inside their borders.

20. Captain Clark Terrell

Thank you for your thoughtful answer! The handful of Romulans who understood the difference are the reason I admire their people. Their society is a work in progress, but the potential for something greater is there.

Was it Sisko or Odo who said that? I vaguely remember Odo making a comment that amused Kira to no end during that discussion.

--Sran