What Hath Netflix Wrought?!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Amaris, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've always added things to my queue on the PC and then watched them on the PS3 so it wasn't such a big deal.

It's a pain not being able to easily see all the new releases and stuff.

2. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

Yikes...what an awful user interface...

3. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, there are some obvious ones right off the bat when searching around on Google, where they extol the virtues of the new interface, and complete ignore the now 2500 complaints (over two days) on the Netflix Community blog.

Seconded, "Hail Mary"-ed and "Amen"-ed.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Honestly from my experinece on the PS3, Netflix has always had a poor interface.

5. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

[​IMG]

HATES IT!!!! HATES IT!!!!

6. Amaris

True, but it was much more searchable than it is now. Now it's like taking someone's pencil, giving them a large black marker, and telling them it will be a lot easier to write their letters now.

So far, every web designer I've spoken with on the new UI hates it, and thinks it's an absurd, dumbed down and plodding interface.

7. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I wonder if this interface has anything to do with the impending realese of Apple's new OS's.

OS X Lion is out in a month, iOS 5 is out in the fall. I wonder if these changes are because of better integration with apple products. Especially when you look at the close integration of twitter into iOS, and the signs that Facebook may be getting the same treatment, I wonder if apple has lined up Netflix for closer integration and they've upgraded their sight for it.

8. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmmm, I don't know, but it would strike me as an ill-advised move. Why alienate more than half your users by switching to an interface that's hard to navigate? The whole problem with the site is a lack of interface feedback. I see it a lot of times, and it's not something that integration can fix. It'll look bad no matter which OS it's on. I could see maybe a front-end, sure, or maybe even a redirect to a different version of the site, but on the main version of a site that many people rely on in order to use the service? Shot in the foot, I tell you.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  9. Data Holmes

I was just thinking that might be the cause for some UI changes, Lion has expanded the use of touch, and they are really pushing the magic pad as an included accessory with all the new macs.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gah! Well I always hit the Your Queue tab immediately, so I haven't really noticed the change...

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, one would think that eventually you would need to, ya know, add stuff to your queue.

12. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm kinda with Temis on that. Yeah, the change is NOT an improvement, but both my queues are almost full, so I hardly ever do any browsing unless I see something elsewhere that makes me want to look up something specific.

That said, the new UI is lousy. I hate things that move or pop up on a website just because your mouse happens to drift over them. Part of why I love this place so much. ;)

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't use Netflix to give me ideas, but I do use em to tell me when one of my ideas is a baaaad one. :rommie: My queue is perpetually around 250 DVDs, never drops below 200.

Just out of curiosity, I just tried doing one of those turn-the-three-cards things for suggestions. All of them bad. Hmm, I guess there's a reason I ignore Netflix's suggestions. Mostly they suggest movies I already know about and don't interest me.

14. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

According to a recent post on their blog there is a plug in for Chrome which redirects you to the old layout.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ngacmlmclfopgbnmefcffgbcjiafbfpo?hl=en-US#

15. Amaris

Yep. It works, too. I use Firefox, but switch to Chrome so I can access Netflix, which goes to show Netflix could solve this problem in 5 seconds if they really wanted to do so.

16. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Holy crap that's pretty amazing! Now I finally have a use for Chrome. :)

EDIT: I took the URL from Chrome and dumped into my usual browser and it works.

Try this to get the old layout:
    http://www.netflix.com/WiHome?fcld=true

EDIT 2: Crap, while that works for one page it doesn't if you click on something whereas the Google plugin automatically adds whatever the right thing is to the URL's.

17. Amaris

Now if only they'd fix their bookmark button issues I might switch!

18. Data Holmes

Interesting... Didn't the Google Chromebooks ship this week?

19. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

It's times like these when I'm glad I'm stubborn and stuck in the olden days of wired connections, and totally hate wireless and streaming nonsense, because as a Netflix user who only uses the discs... I'm not effected by this at all.

Sure, I'm lacking extra content I've got access to. But... *shrug* I'm not pissed off about a layout update, hehe.

20. bluedana

bluedana Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I tried using this last night and gave up, frustrated. I'm one of those people who use Netflix to watch movies I otherwise would never hear about or seek out -- in addition to ordering specific titles by DVD. So this non-browsing browsing option is really useless to me. The titles scroll by so fast, I have to go through them two or three times just to know what they are. Terrible.