Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Praying this show fails.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Define "fails." Presumably it'll have its single season and then give way to the next iteration of Super Sentai the following year.

But it does look pretty stupid. So the Rangers' cockpit stations are toy engines that look like department-store kiddie rides? Egad. And a conductor who talks through a puppet? Whaaa?

3. Hound of UIster

Failure as in performing under Toei/Bandai's sales expectations or failing to match the sales performance of the Kyoryu merchandise. Not everything has to do with episode counts or ratings.

And the suits and monsters aren't the problem. You can always write around it. The story scenario writer and the head producer are. The latter one in particular has produced two of the most disappointing shows in recent memory. The same for the scenario writer. If this show fails, it'll be a good chance we won't have to see her writing for Toei for a long while.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

even if i'm not crazy about a certain Sentai series i never hope it fails.

5. Christopher

Oh, I understand. You're saying you hope the current creators' work does poorly enough that they're replaced with new, hopefully better ones.

I could say the same about Power Rangers since it came back under Saban's ownership. The writing and acting on the past two series (three seasons and counting) have been as poor as the franchise has ever seen. Could it be that the franchise is at a creative low on both sides of the Pacific?

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

^
    What I think would happen(which we just went through too)

Cause:Toy sales are terrible and show is terrible(Go-busters)

Effect- A safe by the numbers series(Kyoryuger) with a sure fire hit merchandise gimmick( Dinosaurs)

The trains will sell. C'mon they're trains!

I think toy sales will be safe this year. If the toys sell well and the series does poorly then the franchise will be OKAY

Not great but just okay

2015 sentai would be probably be a safe theme(Cars or Ninjas) with a train sprinkled in the series to keep kids attracted

7. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whoa. What's Wagon's caboose like?

There. I said it.

Mark

8. Hound of UIster

Kyoryu's batteries and dinosaurs theme was decided even Gobus even aired. It was decided close to the end of Gokai and likely as a result of how well the Rangerkeys did.

I disagree. It's not the theme that is selling the merchandise. IMO it's the collectability element ported over from the Rider franchise that is helping move the merchandise. Gobus's combination of lack of collectible gimmick and boring show was what killed it.

9. Saga

:lol:

10. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

The suits look pretty good, they just took some time to get used to, the villains look great and the cockpit? The combined one looks pretty good already and the individual ones are no big deal, they won't be seen that often and we'll get used to it, it happens every year.

I'm really excited for the new series to start, seems like it'll be fun and I'm sure I'll love it because of this:

[​IMG]

Male pink, female red and blue.:bolian:

I hope those aren't just occasional changes, I want them to switch the colors around every episode.

11. Samurai8472

ToQOh demo

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy2bgTRIfas[/YT]

[​IMG]

Bandai Rep- Objective complete. We have a happy child. I repeat, we have a happy child

One down a million more to go but it's a good sign I assume

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That is one rep who knows how to work with his audience, cute clip.

13. Mark_Nguyen

I'm in the minority that liked Gobuster. I appreciated the attempt at being different, and the mecha and suits looked great to me. The story WAS drawn out and repetitive (even as Sentai goes) but I like the idea that there IS a large support group that keeps our heroes on the move, and even backs them up in the field as needs dictate. I like that sense of "realism" as it can be pushed in a show like this, which is why I loved Dekaranger / SPD and RPM as well.

So it' "TokQger" now? And the big robot STILL looks like a pan flute (and the red train will doubtless be left configured as a giant penis by some kids), but the suits are growing on me. Only a couple weeks till the truth sets us free...

Mark

14. Saga

i liked the suits and mecha of Go Busters. i thought the writing was pretty shoddy and the villains were completely uninteresting. even when they added Escape to sex things up a little bit.

15. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm easy to please, but this video has gotten me crazy excited. Legendary morphing clip ahead!

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlzHrhDnXew[/yt]

:D :techman:

16. Samurai8472

2nd quarter catalog revealed!

Our first Orange 6th ranger!

And his changer is a smart phone!

17. Mark_Nguyen

Good god, the mecha toys in this one are just more and more ungainly. Getting used to the suits though, slowly...

Still fun to see that the Kyoryuuger (and other Sentai?) get to climb aboard their own train when they visit...

Mark

18. Hound of UIster

I wonder if we are going to get a violet too.

I'm seriously shocked it wasn't a gold or silver like the past six times.

19. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. Christopher

Odd that they're skipping Go-Busters, given how much it reportedly draws on terms and elements from Power Rangers, like the term "Megazord," the "It's morphin' time" phrase, etc. It seems a little impolite not to return the favor. Maybe they felt it was too similar to previous PR seasons? Or maybe, given how much they seem to want to recapture the feel of MMPR, they're eager to jump ahead to another dinosaur-themed Sentai.