Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

"Can't you say one nice thing about Jim Kirk?"

"He runs okay for a fat man."

2. ncc71877

ncc71877 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Ty Cobb in Space! :lol:

ncc71877 :borg:

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't know Dave's choice, but I go with Roscoe Lee Browne.

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I've figured out who would make a perfect Nan Bacco:

Kathy Bates.

Granted, she's not the physical type, but I think she'd get the part down pat, especially after seeing her in Primary Colors.

5. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was just reading Olympus Descending by David R. George III, from the third volume of the Worlds Of Deep Space Nine series. And I couldn't help but think that John Hurt would be a wonderful choice to play Indurane, the ancient Founder!

6. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Hmmmmmm.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "perfect," but I think that she could do the role justice, absolutely. :)

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I remember hearing someone recommend Amy Acker as T'Prynn also. I must admit my first thought when I head that was WTF, only because I kept thinking of her as Fred from Angel, but after seeing Alias Season 5, I deffinitely changed my mind.

8. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

Just to clarify, is this Ewan McGregor with his normal English accent, or with an affected American accent?
    I haven't read Vanguard yet, but I was pretty happy when I saw the casting of Tommy Lee Jones in the annotations. He's one of my favorite actors.

9. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

^ Pennington is described as being a Scotsman, so I think McGregor would have the accent he used in Trainspotting.

As for the casting of Amy Acker as T'Prynn, I flirted with the notion myself for a while, but in the end I came back to Bridget Moynahan because I felt that Moynahan conveyed the statuesque and commanding nature of the character better than did Acker, whose much slighter build and less angular features, to me, are less in line with the concept of the character. T'Prynn doesn't have that "frail" waifish look -- she has more of an athlete's bearing, in addition to dark, striking beauty. Also, in terms of the voice, Bridget Moynahan was again a closer match for the timbre I imagined T'Prynn would have.

10. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

::: Imagines Bridget Moynahan and Katherine Heigl in their proposed Vanguard roles....particularly in the scene written and eventually deleted from Summon the Thunder :::

[Jayne]

"I'll be in my bunk."

[/Jayne]

11. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

ewan macgregor is scottish, so his normal accent is scottish. the accent he uses in the SW prequels is as faked as the one licoln six-echo has in The Island. tom lincoln in the same movie has macgregor's real accent.

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

While T'Prynn is described as being statuesque in the novel, I have to say that picturing the smaller-framed Amy Acker works better for me, because it, to my mind, almost serves as an ironic commentary on the nature of the character in terms of the difference between appearances and actual nature -- T'Pyrnn seems to be a cold and logical Vulcan but is actually a deeply emotional, troubled woman, and so the idea of her seeming to be small and relatively weak-looking but actually being (due to her Vulcan physiology) a very strong, very powerful person works for me as an extension of the ironic duality of the character.

Well, that and I really have the hots for Amy Acker. ;)

For what it's worth, though, I'm definitely picturing Amy Acker in Illyria-mode, not Fred-mode.

13. Commander Cavit

Commander Cavit Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I'm a little late to the T.L. Jones quote-a-thon. Nonetheless...

"Don't say 'hinky.' That's not a real word. I don't trust a Security Chief who uses made up words."

14. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

"How about 'bullshit,' Commodore? Is 'bullshit' okay?"

15. RookieBatman

'Fraid I haven't seen that movie. Does he use this accent in Reign of Fire? (I haven't seen that either, but I recorded it from the TV and I'm planning to watch it eventually.)

16. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

See Trainspotting. Really. It's a great movie. And Shallow Grave, which also has Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston.

17. RookieBatman

But...what if I'm really poor and can't even afford to rent it? If that were the case, would Reign of Fire serve to exemplify Pennington's accent?

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Check your library. They usually carry videos these days as well as books.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ummm, how much money would it take for those of us who want it to get ahold of this deleted secen? :devil: :drool:

20. RookieBatman

Yeah, I already checked. My library system doesn't have it.
    So...Reign of Fire? What's the big secret here? Has nobody else seen Reign of Fire, or what?