Skyscrapers in the background.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Anduril, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

I've always found the huge ass skyscrapers in Iowa were a nice touch. They were never explained either, which leaves room to the imagination.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they made San Francisco like it should be: a real city. Not Gene Roddenberry's lameass idea that all cities would be underground. Yeah, that'd be real fun, living in a damn cave... :scream:

3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm so glad you took the time to read the post Rothschild actually wrote (about the large structures in Iowa speculated by some to be arcologies) before typing your response instead of simply reading the thread title and using that as an excuse for posting what amounts to a recycled rant from nearly a year ago. You win the Trekker4747 "Whoops! Leapt to the Wrong Conclusion" prize. :vulcan:

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Skyscrapers in the background

I thought the enourmous, looming shapes in the background were really cool, too. As M'Sharak said, they're theorized to be arcologies (insanely massive, self-sustaining skyscrapers) but I have no idea if that was the intent of the CG artists. They could be fabrication facilities for the shipyard or massive automated farming plants, or anything.

I also loved that STXI left a lot to the imagination (Archer's somehow alive in 2258, there's been some sort of contact with the Romulans since the Kelvin was attacked), and that it hinted at several things that longtime fans would know (parallel timelines, the Vulcan/Romulan schism, Vulcan katras, Spock Prime's mission of reunification) rather than (re-)explain them all in excruciating detail, in a way that didn't interrupt the film or stop newbies in their tracks.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I assumed they were manufacturing facilities. Hm. I may be way off.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I assumed they were silos. Very Big Silos for grain to be shipped to Mars. Or something like that.

7. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Neither Archer nor his dog need be alive in 2258 for that scene w/ Scotty to work. Perhaps the beagle that Scotty "lost" in his transporter experiment was the stuffed and mounted (or the futuristic equivalent) remains of Porthos or one of his successors. And Starfleet is pissed that Scotty lost him, as he was one of the few artifacts they had that related to the very late and questionably great Admiral Archer.

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh? Mr Laser Beam quite clearly said that he was glad that San Francsico was made out to be a 'real' city in the sense that there are buildings and skyscrapers as opposed to utilising an existing idea of cities underground.

It seemed perfectly in keeping with the OP's opinion that the buildings were a nice touch.

9. F. King Daniel

It was a living beagle - Scotty said he was testing it on a life form.

Maybe Archer and dog time travelled again, or he was the first human to visit Centaurus and use the anti-aging pills from "Too Short a Season" (they were seemingly already known to the TNG crew) or it was Archer's grandson and his beagle, or Archer and beagle were frozen in a stasis pod Aliens-style, or he was just really really old (like McCoy in "Encounter at Farpoint") and it was Porthos XXIV, or whatever.

Hence, 'left to the imagination'.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  10. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

One is tempted to imagine a lot of things about an Iowa where urban and urbane arcologies full of city-slickers coexist with hicks who go to a lone bar in the middle of a corny nowhere. Wouldn't Kirk have more fun going through the thousand bars and half a million teen girls of one of those arcos?

We might be looking at a multi-tier society, or then seeing communities isolated by biological necessity. Say, the arcos might house chlorine breathers, or humans engineered beyond surviving in the open.

If those are just futuristic grain silos, though, then we're keeping to a fairly traditional view of midwest life...

Timo Saloniemi

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Likewise, I thought they were part of the shipyards. Hey, there's got to be more to it than the contruction yard where the Enterprise was being welded together, right?

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ That was also my thought. I thought those Iowa buildings were massive factories of some kind. Not skyscrapers. Why would there be just two of them, and in the middle of nowhere to boot? If they're going to build skyscrapers, might as well build a whole city. :vulcan:

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The OP wasn't talking about the buildings in San Francisco. He was referring to the large structures seen in the background in Iowa when Kirk is riding his motorcycle. They are two completely different things.

14. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Toss me in the group that thought they were starship construction facilities rather than arcologies. I just assumed there would be several other ships being built simultaneously.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah right. I still think it's kinda relevant though, albeit tangentially, and not worth jumping down someone's throat over.

16. Anduril

Factories make sense, especially because we see giant quarries. For starship production perhaps?

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The structures are so far away - on the horizon in some instances - that they must be huge to take up as much horizontal space in the frame as they do. You could probably lay out a hundred Enterprises on the floor of one.

18. F. King Daniel

^Well... fifty of this Enterprise;).

19. Anduril

It makes me wonder what other cities on Earth look like.

20. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

More like for making those buildings...

Even if they have walls one millimeter thick, they must contain enormous amounts of construction materials. The quarry we see might suffice for making one such building - if the rock being extracted could undergo total transmutation to the desired construction materials!

Timo Saloniemi