Was Cupcake a cadet or he was just taking some extra courses?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Drago-Kazov, Dec 7, 2012.

1. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Something to do with cupcakes. Large, delectable cupcakes. Yes... that's it.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those boobs look ridiculous. Whose boobs are they anyway?

3. Drago-Kazov

Drago-Kazov Fleet Captain

Christina Hendricks from Mad Men.

They are not ridiculous at all. My head could fit between those just fine.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Please don't hotlink images from pages or sites which do not belong to you. If you're going to post pics, you need to get an image-hosting account - most are free.

I think you want the babe thread in Misc. - this sort of remark would fit there just fine.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen Mad Men but I had no idea they were that big. Are they real? They dwarf the beautiful woman on top of them.

6. Drago-Kazov

Ok.

I know the babe thread exists i don't usually make these kind of remarks but those.....

Let's not go there again.

7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

90 days is a breeze. If you have to learn military posturing for four years while already holding the academic degree you really need in your line of work, Starfleet probably will be left without your skills.

Obviously, it is not the same time for everybody in Starfleet, as Kirk could cut a full year from his studies just by being so darned good-looking, I mean, clever. For all we know, McCoy finished his own studies in three months, which is why he is already a high-ranking commissioned officer while Kirk is still facing a cadet disciplinary board; it's not at all atypical for our good old country doctor to participate in Kobayashi Maru simulations despite having graduated years ago, as viewers of ST2:TWoK well know.

IIRC, there is no canonical confirmation that the Academy would be a four-year endeavor. Instead, we know of a hero who graduated in three years, and a villain who dropped out in his fifth year. Four might be some sort of a happy average - and even then, only for characters who aim for starship command and thus take all the relevant courses, including the one that involves the no-win scenario test that neither Spock nor McCoy ever took.

Timo Saloniemi

8. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Pretty sure they're real. Her neck is long and thin, but the rest of her body is actually pretty curvy.

9. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Hey if she were lactating I'd suck those babies dry! :drool:

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I was talking about the real world. Star Trek is different. Though in the real world, Military Academies are four year colleges. Pike mentions Kirk could be an officer in four years. So I assume that the normal time frame. Wunderkind like Chekov and Kirk excepted.

I assume McCoy was learning more than "military posturing" in his three years there. Probably expanding his knowledge of "space medicine".

11. Drago-Kazov

If there are so many qoutations there because you are saying that he was studying the female anatomy why didn't he go to Risa after finshing his military adjustment courses or signed up for a ship rigt away after he was aclimated to Starfleet.

12. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

I like to think McCoy is a direct commission who was working at Starfleet Medical in San Fran or the Academy itself. TWOK showed that it wasn't unheard of for a commisioned officer to role play in the Kobayashi Maru simulation, even if they are a doctor. I always liked to believe McCoy prime was a direct commission also. It just seemed like it fit his personality.

13. Nerys Myk

I'm sure there was an attempt at a joke in there somewhere.

The first is a actual quote of the term Timo used. The second use quotation marks is to denote a euphemism. In this case space medicine for xeno medicine.

14. Drago-Kazov

When Mcoy said:

-Study my arse

Were they just coming out of class?

15. Nerys Myk

No way to know. They were on the Academy Grounds is all that was presented. Could be between classes, could before the start of their day or at the end. My guess is Kirk was coming from a meeting with who ever okayed Kirk taking the KM for a third time. As for McCoy, he probably was crossing the grounds and Kirk spotted him and called him over.

16. Timo

What status McCoy would have held is also quite unclear. He emphatically says that he's "a doctor" and "busy", so probably he isn't studying unless we count doing practice as studies.

We don't know how tightly grouped Kirk's three no-win scenario tests were. For all we know, Kirk and McCoy had just emerged from the changing room after Kirk's second attempt, in which McCoy had been a mere guest just like he would in the third (or as in Saavik's test).

Kirk does say he intends to try for the third time the very next day. Why would he burst out the news at a random date long after the second attempt when he seems so highly motivated to do it again and again and again? And if the interval between #2 and #3 is short, yet necessarily includes the bit where Kirk sabotages the computers, then the interval between #1 and #2 might have been equally short. Unless it involved soul-searching whereas #2-#3 did not.

Uniform color probably has very little to do with status, as commissioned people like Sulu and Chekov appear in the final scene in the same red that the decidedly ungraduated Kirk originally wore. We have no real reason to think that Sulu would have been associated with the Academy in any way, either as a cadet or as an instructor; the red (and black) uniforms might be mere generic "ground attire" for all Starfleet personnel, as opposed to the shipboard color-coded shirts.

Timo Saloniemi

17. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

IIRC McCoy was wearing a uniform with Lt. Cmdr.-stripes on the Enterprise (even before anyone had done anything that would warrant a field commission).

18. Timo

Indeed. I guess it's okay for him to have graduated with something like Lt (jg) rank, and for Pike to have made the graduation happen in 2½ seconds once the balloon went up, but jumping to LtCmdr doesn't make much sense.

It's sort of funny that the only two people aboard Pike's ship who get addressed as cadets, Kirk and Uhura, both lack rank identifiers on their uniforms; Kirk because he doesn't dress up properly when stumbling out of sickbay, Uhura because apparently sleeves are optional. Supposedly, some screen readout or another identifies Kirk as a Lieutenant - where is that?

Timo Saloniemi

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The transporter, when they're trying to beam Kirk and Sulu away from the drill.

20. Timo