Rolling Stone Magazine calls for the return of TNG to TV

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by VOODOOXI, Sep 10, 2013.

1. VOODOOXI

VOODOOXI Commander Red Shirt

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I don't know if I would go so far as to say he makes a solid case. Obviously I would support it but it'll never happen.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just no.

Where are they going to set it? A Federation nursing home?

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well... Rolling Stone isn't the media outlet it was ten years ago. So I'm sure this "call" isn't going to stir CBS into action. A series set post Nemesis might be interesting, though I'm not sure Riker and the Titan are the ones to do it.

5. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

No, no, no.....no more retreads, no more reboots.

That crew is far too old, it would sour the memory and be pointless. Its not just actors, its writers and directors who made the show.

A new Trek series needs to be NEW.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind a season 8 on Netflix.

7. Kirk the Jerk

Kirk the Jerk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm all for cameos but can't see TNG coming back tbh. Something new set after Nemesis is something I'd like to see.

8. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

He made such an unconvincing case I fear TV Trek will never return.

9. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't mind seeing something with Riker/Troi/Worf/Crusher... or something set in the TNG timeframe with different characters. At some point though Picard has to stop being a captain and retire to his vineyard like in All Good Things.

10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rolling Stone said:

While I disagree with the statement above that focusing entirely on movies is "a horrible mistake", I do also agree with the statement that Star Trek was, is and fundamentally always will be a television concept at heart, and in many ways to this day it feels more at home on television than it does at the multiplex. The concept was borne of TV, and TV is where it really flourishes. Movies can show more than TV, but they can't flesh out the details in a way that regular television episodes can. The characters in a movie have to (by the very nature of the medium) be explored in a kind of dramatic short-hand. As David Gerrold once said, movies show the most important day of a person's life, while television can show the average day-to-day dramas. Realistically, TV has got a much wider scope. Even if they don't have the budget to match. ;)

Having said all that, no, TNG coming back in some form is not the answer. :lol: Something set in the 24th/25th century with a new crew and dealing with the ramifications of that post-Nemesis, post-2009Trek 'prime' universe, yes. Something where the TNG crew could conceivably cameo, just as James Doohan or Leonard Nimoy did in TNG, yes. But a series revolving around one or more of the actual TNG characters? No. That would not be a way forward towards potential revitalization of the television franchise. In my opinion. ;)

11. VOODOOXI

I agree with the author that TNG's return to tv would be a big hit. Easily the best way to go from a commercial point of view

12. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Grumble, grumble; the writer isn't really informed

There's a number of directions Star Trek could take, but frankly, I think the best option at this point is for everyone to throw their weight behind Star Trek Renegades and get that on the AIR.

We need trek back =(

13. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh.. I'm not sure I have high expectations at all for Renegades. I could be wrong, heck I hope I am but it just seems like it's going to fall flat.

14. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They actually could do it.

Keep Picard as captain, he's always been a thinking mans captain and not a physical one, and he could do the job just fine, he still looks almost the same as he did back then.

Replace the XO with someone young, Frakes can cameo as captain of Titan, so it's a good chance to lower the average age. Get someone in around Chris Pines sort of age

Keep Worf, if Dorn hits the gym, with all the makeup you will never know the difference.

Keep Geordie, Levar is in fantastic shape, he looks fine

Replace Troi and Crusher with "younger models" sorry but they would have to to bring in an audience. Troi is with Riker, and Crusher transferred somewhere.

Data is gone, so replace him again with a younger crewmember.

This way really the only "old" one is Picard, and as I say that really shouldn't be a huge issue. We have a nice mix of familiar faces, and young blood.

It's do-able but it won't happen.

15. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think I can buy Picard still being captain at such an old age. It goes against every past imagining of a very elderly Picard - either back on earth or promoted to admiral. Granted those are usually illusions but still, eventually I think he would move on.

16. VOODOOXI

I doubt Patrick Stewart would want to do another weekly ST show, but I'm sure he would do several cameos a year as the entire cast is very close.

I wouldn't be shocked if the TNG to tv stories start to pick up after the release of the new Star Wars films with the original cast as well as younger cast members...Everyone who has ever written in this forum or others like it would watch every second of it despite what they say.

17. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I would love a new Trek show set after Nemesis.

Get some young stud to play a "cowboy in the captain's chair" like a Captain Mac Calhoun type of character. Lot's of super hot ladies. With a generous amount of guest appearances by the TNG crew and it would be a winner for me. :techman:

18. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

More likely a JJ Abrams reboot following the reality twist of the films, set a century later. Everybody gets a new face and new backgrounds to go with a production design makeover.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You obviously don't know most of us as well as you think you do. :rolleyes:

20. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

As I posed in the RS article, and have noted a few times on here, that I support a combination of a ship-based series (The Titan?) with the basis of Michael Dorn's pitch of a Federation colony on a Klingon planet. I think there is great potential in stories which both stand alone in their own separate settings and those that are interconnected between the two. That way you can have the best of both worlds - you can have some familiar characters aboard a starship carrying on the 24th Century timeline while creating something completely new (even "young-crowd-ish") at the colony.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013