3D - Gamechanger or Gimmick?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by QCzar, Feb 17, 2010.

1. QCzar

QCzar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Washington, DC - Taxation Without Representation
    With the advent of 3D gaming looming over the horizon, many technology firms are already beginning to market new devices to get ahead of the curve. But given the spotty history of 3D in general, many believe they may be jumping the gun.

Though there were similar doubts at the beginning of the HD wave, I can't really see this in the same light. Actual HD resolution was just a nexus in an overall enhancement of gaming tech, which also includes numerous other measurable changes (frame rate, sound, model and texture detail, evolution of environment and lighting, massive advancements in multiplayer and AI, and on and on). In other words, evolutionary and incremental, in both function and increase in cost.

Whereas with 3D, most of the quantifiable changes are pretty anemic by comparison. Playing a game like Mass Effect 2 or Madden NFL won't seem qualitatively different in 3D than in 2D, the novelty of it quickly fading as people focus on gameplay, which won't have changed much. It also has a high cost of entry (for developers and consumers), unlike other radical shifts in gaming, such as motion sensing or MMORPG. This begs the question of what can the industry bring to the table that effectively gives 3D the ability to add value to a title? What can 3D do to make games we've been playing all this decade so much better, beyond the 3D itself? What innovations to gaming in the new decade will 3D be an integral part of?

What do you think the future holds for 3D gaming? Are you going to take the plunge or wait it out? If you're going to wait it out, what prerequisites would need to be met before you buy into it?

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I really don't see myself sitting around with a second pair of glasses on for 3D any more than I can see myself standing up and waving my hands around to play my games with Natal.

I never thought I'd see the day where I'd become such a total Luddite. I can see 3D being cool for the cinema, I suppose, but I play my games on a 22" HDTV in my bedroom. I don't think the console manufacturers understand that there are people like me who don't play games in their living rooms in front of 50" TVs.

3. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

Preach on, brother. Preach on.

To answer the OP... until big screen HDTV's are much more common (In the US, HDTV is only in something like 40% of homes... how many of those do you think are big enough to enjoy 3d? I'm guessing most are the 27 or 32 inch 720p wal-mart brand TV's that just barely qualify as HD) and we can do 3d without glasses, 3D gaming is doomed to die.

4. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Games need to focus on experiences and immersion, not gimmicks.

Mass Effect 2 shows the direction games need to go in, not 3D or motion control.

5. The Fatman

The Fatman Captain Captain

^^ it's funny you mention Mass Effect 2, as I was gonna use that as an example of publishers being in a bubble. The in-game text isn't legible in SD, basically requiring HD to play. BioWare's response is it only affects a "small number" of gamers, so they do not intend to patch it... half the homes in America is a "small number"?? What about the people who paid full retail for your game and it is now unplayable, your answer to them is they have to go and drop at least 200 more dollars to get a small HDTV to play your game? That is so ignorant and shortsighted it's borderline unbelievable.

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I agree with that, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a stunning game. The bar has been raised, in my view.

7. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When most people think of 3D TV they always think 3D glasses.

The new Tech is supposed to do away with the glasses.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

How ?

9. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought you not only needed to buy a new 3DTv but also needed a pair of those 3D shutter glasses to experience this new 3D fad.

10. Jim Steele

Jim Steele Vice Admiral Admiral

Pretty much sums up where I am on the 3D issue.

I doubt it will be a gamechanger. I think it will achieve ubiquity, eventually, purely through the bloody-mindedness of those trying to sell it as the next big thing. But it's not exactly a future I'm looking forward to.

Absolutely 100% agreed.

To answer the question, and I'm sorry to sound like such a negative ninny, but gimmick - and one that the artists, content providers and tech manufacturers are at least ten years away from turning into anything else imho.

11. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I went to E3 in 2006 and a small Canadian company was showing of a 3D monitor. No glasses, just a screen. It was pretty cool-as long as you looked at it straight on. From an angle-2D all of the way.

12. Rii

Rii Rear Admiral

720p is HD in name only, and many games on PS3/X360 don't even manage to achieve that. Most of the ones that do struggle to maintain 30fps. There's still a long way to go.

13. Arrqh

Arrqh Vice Admiral Admiral

This tech is still many years away from being in consumer devices; all the 3D tv's that will start being sold this year require glasses.

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

anyone remember this:
    [​IMG]

15. dragunzng

dragunzng Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait, what new tech? As far as I know the 3D that Sony and Nvidia are talking about introducing to gaming relies on polarised glasses and 3D tv's. There are some 3D tv's in the works that don't require glasses but they're very thick and have an extremely narrow viewing angle.

16. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

Yep! I still own a pair and they work great. Maze Hunter 3-D and Missile Defense 3-D FTW!

17. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pointless gimmick.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Maze Hunter 3-D is my favorite video game.

19. QCzar

QCzar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Washington, DC - Taxation Without Representation
    Does anyone actually see the industry really getting behind this in a big way? As in across the board, like with HD and MMO?

20. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I heard somebody was working on a glass-less 3D TV that had a number of viewing angles, but that was some time ago. Honestly, I think that until 3D TVs/computer monitors don't require glasses or restricting oneself to a few viewing angles, 3D will remain a gimmick. The few games that might benefit from 3D are FPSes and games like Dark Void, where increased sense of depth might be helpful.