Harry Morrow's Approximate Age in TSFS

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Captain Clark Terrell, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Not much is known about Harry Morrow, the Starfleet Commander and Chief in TSFS. Christopher's The Darkness Drops Again indicates that he was a starship captain during TOS run and quickly moved up the ladder, eventually becoming Admiral Nogura's right-hand before succeeding him as the C-and-C sometime before TWOK/TSFS.

Robert Hooks was forty seven years old at the time of TSFS' release; if Morrow was roughly the same ago, he would have been in his early thirties during TOS. Additional non-canon materials suggest that Morrow supported Kirk getting the Enterprise after Pike was promoted. He could not have been an admiral during that time but could certainly have written a letter on Kirk's behalf and used his influence as a fellow captain to see someone he respected get a high-profile assignment.

Of course, wouldn't that mean Morrow had already been a captain for several years by the time Kirk was up for promotion? If so, at what age must Morrow have found himself in the center seat? Or is it more likely that Morrow was a few years older than Hooks by 2285?

--Sran

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Kirk could have been Morrow's first or second officer on whatever command he had at the time. Which could be where a recommendation came from. Morrow could be 57 or 67 instead of Hooks 47. Longer lifespans should lead people to looking younger later into life.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I think Morrow was supposed to be slightly older than Kirk, even though the actor was younger than Shatner. Leon Russom who plays Admiral Bill is also younger than Shatner and Harve Bennett, who played Admiral Bob, was only a year older. Brock Peters is the only movie Admiral who was significantly older than Shatner.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

He looked even younger than 47.

But then again, numbers were never Morrow's strong suit.

5. Captain Clark Terrell

[​IMG]

^I don't know. I'd have guessed he were in his early fifties based on this photograph. As an aside, I really like Morrow's bomber jacket and actually think it looks nicer than the regular duty uniform.

--Sran

6. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Yes, it has nice textures, although I'm not sure what i think of the collar

7. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

I'd have to agree with Sran. We're not all blessed with the gift of being able to judge someone's age by just looking at them. Still, I would've never guessed that the man in that photo is anything younger than his early fifties at best, based on our current lifespan and aging processes.

8. Captain Clark Terrell

^Plus, we've no way of knowing if the gray in Hooks' hair belongs to him or to Morrow (dyed), as Hooks had less gray hair when he appeared in the Seinfeld episode "The Couch" in 1995.

--Sran

9. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

It was the eighties. Everyone was popping their collars.

10. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Also, to quote Community's Shirley Bennett, in the '80s, everyone who designed stuff was on cocaine.

11. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

It's those buttons and the more vinyl edging. They look cheap, compared to the rest of it. (Or cheaper, compared to the rest of it).

Also I don't like the black badge part...that feels even more cheap, but is so typical of the time.