So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just finished Raise the Dawn, and I'm more than a little shellshocked. This is, in just about every way, a far more satisfying "conclusion" to this chapter of the DS9 saga than Unity was back in the day. There are certain characters I'm definitely going to miss from now on, but every dramatic choice for the plot also rang true to each character. I am satisfied.

Now, after a couple of tylenol and a couple of hours sleep, I shall begin Brinkmanship. And thence, on to Cold Equations.

2. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Started January with Skulduggery Pleasant (Derek Landy), then Mr Majestyk (Elmore Leonard) and Superman: Last God Of Krypton. Now onto 1222 (Anne Holt)

3. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Finished Planet of Judgment and now onto KRAD's Articles of the Federation.

4. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Just started reading Death in Winter. Not a big JMF fan, of the admittedly small sample of his work I've read. About 40 or so pages in at the moment. Hopefully it's a quick read.

I actually haven't finished the The Hobbit yet, I was excited for it, read the first half of it by the movie, but I haven't been able to get past the 3/4 mark for whatever reason. Hoping maybe I can finish it out after some time away.

5. vorador33

vorador33 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Just finished Before Dishonor. Loved it, not really sure what all the fuss was about. Moving onto Greater than the Sum today. Got the Destiny omnibus on my kindle, can't wait to start it.

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Reading the novelization of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock. I don't usually like novelizations but McIntyre provides a lot of supplemental storyline to the plot which I found interesting. Curious pairing of David Marcus and Saavik as a potential love interest.

7. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

If you like that, check out Myriad Universes: "The Chimes at Midnight". :bolian:

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked how Vonda McIntyre explored the Saavik&David relationship in Startrek2&3 movie novelizations.Chimes of Midnight is one of my favorite stories from the myriad Universe books.The exploration of the David &Saavik relationship is a story I always hoped would be explored in anothther Au type os story.I'm reading Captain's blood by William Shatner.I really lke this story so far.I plan on reading Section 31 Abyss next.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  9. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I finished Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II yesterday, and felt it was MUCH better than the first one.

Today I've finally been able to start Cold Equations Book III: The Body Electric! I'm about ten chapters in and I'm really enjoying it.

Up next is more Star Wars, with Shadow Games.

(And David & Saavik was one of my favorite romances when I was a teenager. Vonda McIntyre's take on them moved me so much that I had a much harder time accepting Robin Curtis's cold unemotional portrayal of Saavik, especially in the scene where she tells Kirk what's happened to David. It was only on learning that Curtis wanted to play the scene with some emotion and that Leonard Nimoy insisted she do it as a stoic full-Vulcan that I was able to eventually accept it! Not entirely fair on my part, but a compliment to McIntyre's writing.)

10. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I just finished Barrayar, the second book in the Miles Vorkosigan series (or at least, the second I read; reading order is a bit malleable.)

...based on the first two, I have a strong suspicion my next consecutive 13 novels will be the remaining 13 Miles Vorkosigan novels.

:eek: Wow.

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it was you. :)

I was so excited when I heard that BOOM! had picked up the Elric license, even though it meant that Dark Horse's collection of P. Craig Russell's Stormbringer was scuttled.

I really wanted to like Elric: The Balance Lost, but it wasn't what I wanted. I wanted an Elric sword-and-sorcery story. Instead, what I got was Crisis on Infinite Eternal Champions.

There's room in the market for a sword-and-sorcery Elric comic. This wasn't it.

12. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my latest review. This one's for the second book in Kevin Ryan's Errand of Fury series: Demands of Honor.

Finishing up Divergent by Veronica Roth, and based on a number of recommendations, I've just started on the first novella of the Corps of Engineers series, The Belly of the Beast. I've never read SCE before, and I'm eager to explore this part of Trek Lit!

13. Spocky8492

Spocky8492 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm new on this message board so I thought it would be a good topic to start :)
    A few weeks ago I rewatched the Enterprise TV series and after the last episode, I wanted to read more, so last week I finished Last full measure and now I'm reading The good that men do which I prefer. I liked Last Full Measure for the "surprise" that it contains, but the story didn't hooked me. I liked to see Mayweather more than usual and to learn more about the MACO, but the problem of relationship between the crew of the Enterprise and the MACO wasn't really interesting for me.
    For the moment I really prefer The good that men do, even if for the moment I read something like one quarter of the book.

14. TJ Sinclair

Welcome to the board! :)

Stick with The Good That Men Do, it's definitely better than Last Full Measure. :)

Oh, and I'm currently about halfway through Brinkmanship.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  15. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I just started The Persistence of Memory...really good so far.

16. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Mere Anarchy: Shadows of the Indignant yesterday and started on Mere Anarchy: The Darkness Drops Again today.

17. TJ Sinclair

So, just finished Brinkmanship. A fairly quick read, and pretty enjoyable, if eminently frustrating, as I'm sure was the point. I haven't read Una's other novels yet, just The Lotus Flower novella, which I truly did enjoy back when it came out. I'll put Hollow Men and The Never-Ending Sacrifice on the "to read" list.

The anthropological perspective in this book was quite fascinating, and made me appreciate the characterization of the Tzenkethi in the novelverse more than I previously had. Let me reiterate, just to forestall any possible argument, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Pocket Books concept of the Tzenkethi. It's just not how I had been mentally picturing them in the years since "The Adversary," so it's something to which I've had to adjust.

The Venetans, on the other hand, I like, quite a lot. It's also the first novel I've read with Glinn Dygan. I like him a lot, too. :)

Now... should I start The Rings of Time, or Persistence of Memory?

18. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Once again, I did some skipping ahead and read Silent Weapons. That was exciting!

Next, I'll probably read Resident Evil: Underworld and then Jeri Taylor's Mosaic.

19. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review for the final novel in the Errand of Fury trilogy, Sacrifices of War by Kevin Ryan.

Yesterday, I read the first story in the SCE series, The Belly of the Beast by Dean Wesley Smith. I'm currently going back to an oldie, but one that I haven't read, so it's new to me! Star Trek #20: The Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean Lorrah.

20. Sam_I_Am

Sam_I_Am Captain Captain

I'm reading Voyager's Ragnarok. Not bad at all. I couldn't put it down last night.