Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just wanted to say, I have a brand new respect for Neelix.
    I'm currently taking Culinary Arts courses at my local college.
    Tonight I had to do a dinner party for 25 people with a staff of 14.
    It went really well but it's hectic as all hell and extremely exhausting.
    I can't imagine how he feeds a crew of nearly 150 crewmen breakfast, lunch and dinner, does a daily menu, inventory and still finds time to do his daily talk show all by himself.........and does it EVERYDAY!!
    I totally and completely see why he's a value to Voyager now and how he earns his keep to stay on board. Neelix is amazing!!

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He doesn't feed a 150 people.

He feeds the dead beats that ran out of replication rations, who no one else will loan surplus rations to any more, the cheap bastards who think the rations are too valuable to waste on food, and the speculators who are saving up their rations for some thing big.

You only end up in Neelix's mess if everything else has gone horribly wrong.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  3. exodus

You don't get out much, do you?

4. Guy Gardener

Not without a collar and lead.

5. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

Flesh and Blood Parts 1 and 2: Strong and exciting episode about civil rights. Great guest stars, plenty of good action, and the welcome return of the Hirogen.
    8/10

Shattered: Another reset button episode, albeit a good one. One of the rare episodes where Chakotay actually did something. It was fun seeing him move from time to period to time period. A lot of really great fan moments......seeing Seska and the Kazon again, borgified 7 of 9, and an older Naomi Wildeman and Icheb. Solid all around.
    7/10

6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I liked Critical Care but I thought Inside Man was one of the worst episodes of the series. They not only returned the ferengi to the cartoon stereotypes of TNG season 1, it didn't make any sense that Voyager was not more skeptical of the shortcut home.

7. AdmiralScreed

You're right, they should have been more skeptical considering they'd fallen for this kind of trap many times already, and your point about the Ferengi is also valid. I was able to easily overlook these things though because there was so much to enjoy about this one. I think a lot of my fondness for this episode stems from my love for TNG. Seeing one of my favorite guests from TNG now on Voyager (Barclay) and one of the regular cast (Troi) was so exciting! :)

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You must have wet yourself for the ENT finale.

9. Guy Gardener

You make me think of Carrie covered in pigs blood.

10. teacake

No, I'm chill man.

:: doors slam shut ::

11. AdmiralScreed

Haven't watched more than the first dozen or so episodes of ENT.

Lineage: Nice character story about race and discrimination. Plenty of good character drama, a tight story. Well done.
    6/10

Repentance: A strong story about revenge and forgiveness. Also dealt with the subject of mental illness and whether or not someone should be held accountable for mistakes they made that were out of their control. I was unhappy with the decision to execute Iko at the end, but it made for great character drama. I shed at least one tear...
    8/10

12. teacake

A tear?

I'm... my god.. you're converted.

I bet if you go back to the beginning some time you'll appreciate a whole lot of eps you were meh about originally.

13. exodus

Really glad you enjoyed "Flesh & Blood" and appreciated to civil rights topic of if. I find it an often misunderstood ep. among many.

"Repentence" not so much. I think the ep ruins the subject matter when he's cured by Seven's nanos. I think they should have kept him insane but not willingly violent. I think it would have been a more effective argument of they had gone with he need to be in treated with medication for his illness instead of being in prison. I think it would have worked better as maybe a Tuvok story, seeing how already had the experience before with Suder. I also think it's corny how Neelix keeps getting conned see how he spend a major majority of his life as a con artist himself. 7 years on Voyager don't make you loose your street smarts to know when you're being conned.

14. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Seven years on Voyager made Neelix a soft kitty. A warm kitty. A little ball of fur. Purr purr purr.

15. teacake

Well Tighr you are certainly not helping the situation.

16. AdmiralScreed

Converted? Not sure if I'd go that far. Looking back over the entire show, season 6 is the only season I've given high praise to. Season 7 might be added to that, but that's still only the last two seasons of a seven season run. Not good statistics. Granted, it's possible that maybe my own perception has changed. If that's the case, then yes I would probably view the show differently today if I rewatched it from the beginning, possibly for the better. But we won't know if that's the case or not because I have no intention of rewatching Voyager for a very long time, if ever, except for season 6 and maybe 7. If this show ever gets a blu ray release I'll probably nab the last two seasons, but I'm not so certain about the first 5.

17. tighr

Since 1983.

Little side note: I've been using that signature on forums since roundabout 2001 or so (and I've been using Spot as an avatar since about 1997). As far as I can remember, I came up with it. I have seen it being used on other forums before, and can't decide if it grinds my gears for the theft, or if it's a nod of the hat. At least the thieves are bright enough to change the name and the year.

18. AdmiralScreed

Prophecy: Welcome return of the Klingons, and great continuity with Lineage by bringing Belanna's unborn child back into the spotlight. Plenty of humor, particularly with Harry, Neelix, and the Klingon babe. I enjoyed the story and the guest stars (including the guy who sounded like Avery Brooks! I can't be the only person who noticed this.) Quite good overall.
    7/10

Void: An unexpected delight! Who'd have thought an anomaly of the week episode could turn out so great? This is what Star Trek is all about. Forming alliances, finding peaceful solutions to problems, and learning to communicate and work with new people. Bravo on an excellent episode!
    8/10

19. exodus

Was the starless space in "Void" the same pocket of space from "Night"?

20. tighr

No, the Void Void was a spatial anomaly that pulled ships in and wouldn't let them leave (almost similar to a black hole), and the Night Void was simply a vast region of space that contained no star systems and high radiation preventing light from external star systems from penetrating. Other than the radiation, there wasn't anything odd about the Night Void.

EDIT: I just remembered a third episode about a "void", the episode One. Seven of Nine is the only crewmember capable of surviving the intense radiation in a vast nebula, so everyone else has to go into stasis chambers while they traverse the nebula.