Favourite Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Apr 4, 2013.

?

Favourite Doctor?

1. 1st Doctor-William Hartnel

3.0%
  2. 2nd Doctor-Patrick Troughton.

13.0%
  3. 3rd Doctor-Jon Pertwee

5.0%
  4. 4th Doctor-Tom Baker

21.0%
  5. 5th Doctor-Peter Davidson

2.0%
  6. 6th Doctor-Collin Baker

7.0%
  7. 7th Doctor-Sylvester McCoy

6.0%
  8. 8th Doctor-Paul McGann

2.0%
  9. 9th Doctor-Christopher Eccleston

8.0%
  10. 10th Doctor-David Tennant

21.0%
  11. 11th Doctor-Matt Smith

12.0%
  1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chris Eccleston, but I've liked Eccleston, Tennant, and Smith to varying degrees.

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Which one?

3. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Jon Pertwee. There is no other.

(Smith has moved into equal second spot with Troughton, however.)

4. The Mirrorball Man

Pertwee... was certainly in a class of his own. That's all I'm going to say.

5. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    For years I'd have said Baker or Pertwee, depending on the time of day, but having seen a few of the old serials with Hartnel, he has become my favorite. His character often has all the many facets the many actors have chosen to portray, but he blends the darkness, whimsy, Machiavellian, comical, and alien best of all in his portrayal. Other actors and productions often choose a slice of the cake, he was the whole package.

6. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Another Pertwee vote. Class act.

7. The Mirrorball Man

Yes, I think some people don't realize how good he was, probably because of the line fluffs. He had gravitas and good comical timing, as you said, the whole package.

8. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I find that annoying that it's always the latest thing that's the most popular.

Also, I'm surprised how popular Pertwee is. I've never been that fond of him.

9. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

As in all things, to each their own. I will never understand why T Baker and Tennant are so popular, but I don't care in the slightest about it either. As it should be. :bolian:

10. The Mirrorball Man

Sure. Anyway I quite like the third Doctor and some of his stories. And Jon Pertwee the man seemed like a nice chap. It's Pertwee the actor I'm not fond of.

11. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

4, but really i love most of them except 6 & 7...

12. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Seventh Doctor, Sylvester McCoy. An eccentric manipulative imp and chess master that views the universe in a vastly different way to us humans. A truly alien outsider played by a wonderful character actor, who wouldn't fit the traditional leading man role in any other show.

After him I'd rank Tom, Bill, Pat, and Colin as my other favourites. I like all the actors who have played the part, I just prefer certain interpretations over others.

13. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like all of them - Pertwee is probably my least favourite but a lot of that is my dislike of the stories of that era. In a great story like Inferno I like him as much as the others.

My top 3 would probably be T Baker, Troughton & Davison and I've gone for Davison since he was my first Doctor.

14. DalekJim

Pertwee in Season 7 is probably my favourite characterisation of The Doctor, and the man is a superlative actor. His era seriously degrades during Seasons 8-11 though to the point where a lot of my fondness for him weathered.

15. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

Tom Baker is my favourite Doctor. William Hartnell is my favourite actor out of the 11 though.

16. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Troughton and Davison are the best *actors* of the bunch, IMO

17. The Mirrorball Man

Pertwee was warm and charismatic, but he was a limited actor, with a very narrow range and not much to show off about his acting "bag of tricks". I remember several instances where he saw gurning as his only option to portray the Doctor getting knocked out, he stroke his chin whenever he was supposed to be puzzled by something, not to mention his lisp and his bizarre, stagy body language. Acting-by-shorthand is what he was doing, and there's nothing superlative about that. I've seen that kind of approach onstage quite frequently, but never by a professional actor.

18. DalekJim

Narrow range!? You think his performances as Worzel Gummidge and The Doctor are similar????

Not that there's anything bad with narrow range. McCoy is my favourite Doctor but I'd admit he generally plays a certain type of character.

19. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

David Tennant's my favorite.

20. The Mirrorball Man

No, the Doctor and Worzel Gummidge are not similar. In my opinion, the fact that he was able to play more or less convincingly two different roles, one of them very broad, doesn't mean he didn't have a limited range.

And yes, having a limited range is very bad for an actor. It didn't just mean that he couldn't play a lot of different roles, it also meant that he couldn't play a lot of different emotions, and that's what acting requires. Of course, as you may remember, I think McCoy is an abysmal actor, so I won't add anything, besides saying that at least Pertwee had some gravitas.