Star Trek: "Where No Man Has Gone Before" VHS

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ClassicTVMan81, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClassicTVMan81

ClassicTVMan81 Lieutenant Red Shirt

http://vimeo.com/53541343

I can't judge the validity of this print, so, my fellow Trekkies (or Trekkers): for those of you that have the original 1985 VHS print of this particular episode ("Where No Man Has Gone Before"), see if your copy has all these logos at the end like what you see in the above link.

The logos contained here (from the Vimeo video description) are:
    (1) Paramount FBI Warning screen which changes colors (version 1, used on all Paramount VHS tapes released between 1979 and 1989)
    (2) 1982 Paramount Home Video logo (with all blues replaced by golds)
    (3) Opening teaser
    (4) Star Trek S1 opening (no Kirk dialog)
    (5) Opening episode title
    (6) Last few minutes of episode
    (7) "Next Voyage" trailer ("The Naked Time")
    (8) Closing title (with Alexander Courage's original violin version of the theme song)
    (9) 1966 Desilu logo (with 1978 Paramount copyright)
    (10) 1982 Paramount Television logo (tall peak; 1982 Lalo Schifrin music)

The second VHS print has these differences:
    (1) FBI Warning screen is slightly different
    (2) 1982 Paramount Home Video logo (normal version with blue mountain and text)
    (3) 1966 Desilu logo (no Paramount copyright)
    (4) Late 1968 Paramount Television logo
    No opening teaser before the opening title, nor the Next Voyage trailer before the closing title

My question is this: did the earliest copies of this episode (when released on VHS in February 1985) really have the 1982 Paramount TV "Blue Mountain" (tall peak) at the end?

~Ben

2. NickintheATL

NickintheATL Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fake. The 1985 VHS did not have the 1999 DVD audio for one thing (which is very obvious), and for another it did not have the trailer for The Naked Time on the end, but for The Corbomite Maneuver.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh, of course. Because all the video releases prior to the first DVD season sets were in production order rather than the airdate order that's bizarrely become the standard since then.

4. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're right, this does have the added DVD sound effects (the transporter and the bridge background sounds). Why would this guy bother with that?

The actual question, though, was whether the early video release had the blue Paramount logo at the end. I think they did. Paramount slapped them on every episode when they redid the prints for video release and syndication in the 80's. I clipped them when I made DVDs of the lasers, keeping on the Desilu logo.

5. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The 1985-88 VHS series was released in installments in airdate order, but numbered according to production. The accompanying next episode trailers were also in production order.

6. NickintheATL

NickintheATL Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Actually, the first few episodes have trailers for the next episodes in production order. Starting down around Shore Leave, the trailers appear for the next episode in airdate order. And even then, sometimes the trailer wasn't correct. This problem was on the laserdiscs as well (at least I'm fairly sure.)

7. TServo2049

TServo2049 Ensign Newbie

The guy who posted that to Vimeo is a guy named Jason Allen Matthews. He has a history of stitching stuff together in a video editor and claiming it's real. I don't think he's a troll per se - I'm pretty sure he has some form of autism, and doesn't fully comprehend that he's making stuff up and lying that it's real.

I'm not trying to insult Mr. Matthews, I'm just calling it as I see it.

AFAIK, the Paramount logo at the end of the Desilu TOS episodes in the 80s was always the standard TV version, where the peak is more squat than the theatrical logo to make room for the word "Television". The "tall peak" version was used briefly on Paramount's network shows in the fall of 1982, and then dropped.

8. ClassicTVMan81

ClassicTVMan81 Lieutenant Red Shirt

The version that closes with the Desilu logo without the 1978 Paramount copyright, and followed by the late 1968 Paramount Television logo, is on the 1993 reissue VHS. I wonder if any other pre-1968 episodes on the 1993 VHS tapes also conclude with the late 1968 Paramount logo as well?

~Ben

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

From the Board Rules:

- Resurrecting dead threads. If you find a thread that has not had a post in it in over a year, don't post in it. Start a new thread instead. You can, if necessary, link back to the old thread if something crucial is in the thread

This thread hasn't had any replies in 4 years. I think we should let it rest in peace.

[​IMG]

"Hailing Frequencies Closed"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.