How exactly did Clara "save" the Doctor.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by M.A.C.O., Sep 2, 2013.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Getting the Doctor to steal the right TARDIS would appear to be the only time she consciously interfered with things. In Asylum and The Snowman she only seemed to have an inkling of her real self on the verge of death.

I suspect some instances of her intersecting with the Doctor required more action than others.

2. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, that could be it. Maybe some instances of interference were as low key as the GI (for example) spilling some water in a corridor so the Doctor would later slip as he runs away from that weeks monster. And Clara just happened to be a janitor with a mop and bucket, cleaning it up just in time.

She would still have been aware of, and trying to help, the Doctor in some situations, hence all the rushing around looking for him in the montage sequence.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Thinking about that, it opened another can of worms in my head. Ask yourself, how did Clara know which TARDIS the Doctor should steal? It's Galifreyan technology and looks no different than any of the other TT capsules. With the TARDIS' history of rejecting/disliking "impossible" companions. Such as Clara and Jack Harkness. I think it's unlikely the TARDIS communicated the specific information about itself to Clara so that one of her millions of copies would know to influence the Doctor's decision about which one to steal.

I think it was in "The Deadly Assassin" or "Logopolis" when the Fourth Doctor says he stole the TARDIS when she was in for maintence. In "The Doctor's Wife" the TARDIS herself says she was a museum piece when the Doctor stole her/she stole him.

I don't really mind the inconsistency of copy Clara's memories regarding their mission to save the Doctor. If suggesting the Doctor pick the correct TARDIS was Clara only conscious action of countering the GI interference, I'm totally down with that.

4. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Here's a mindscrew for you. We see Clara on Gallifrey, but presumably she is still biologically human. If she went to every point in his timeline, she must have been there right at the beginning of his very existence.

What if one of the things she did to ensure his safety was to create him in the first place, Emissary-style? What if, not knowing the significance of her actions, she shagged a Gallifreyan bloke and gave birth to a baby?

That would make the Doctor half-human, on his mother's side. :shifty:

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Just to throw another spanner in the works, what if the Tardis Clara told him to take wasn't actually the Tardis we know and love, maybe that's why the Tardis was always trying to shut Clara out! :lol:

You know that's quite a scary thought :lol:

6. M.A.C.O.

You know I can see the First Doctor, who was old, grumpy and self important ignoring Clara's suggestion. A girl a few years older than Susan telling the Doctor which TARDIS to take. "What presumption" or some other phrase he might say.

While it's possible the Doctor "forgot" meeting Clara before leaving Gallifrey during his first life. If the TARDIS really is as possessive of the Doctor like we see in "The Doctor's Wife". I can imagine her never forgetting how Clara almost came between them. :p

That is an evil thought. Haha I forgot all about the 8th Doctor's "half human on his mother' side" schtick.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn! I kind of like that.

8. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^Off topic, but I looked at that address and thought it said "whore view" before I realized it was "who review."

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  10. M.A.C.O.

^AHAHAHA I did the same thing.

The article did touch on some of the same things I pointed out. Main passages here

The story of the Impossible Girl also comes to its conclusion, and it’s been a fine old ride. The very fact it resulted in that augmented crazy clips package justifies the whole exercise, before we even get going on the explanation. The concept of Clara splintered in time (I’ve seen City of Death, I know the lingo), and interacting with every incarnation of the Doctor is grand. To have something that tinkers with the everythingness of Doctor Who is exactly what we need in this year of years. And because of that, it works as a first pass. But look at it for a moment longer, and it falls to bits.

Why, if Clara’s been bobbing around the Doctor’s time stream, didn’t he recognise her when they met sans Dalek casing in The Snowmen? Readers, I’ve given this a bit of thought. I guess the line “But he almost never hears me” covers that. But it’s a flip-floppy piece of writing. The Time Lord’s never aware of Clara, except for those moments when he is? I’m also at a loss to work out what the Great Intelligence is actually up to when he inserts himself into the montage. Are we to read this as him continually killing the Doctor? Or just standing around all day looking tough (which must be very wearing on the nerves)? Also, how is Clara thwarting his efforts? Does her presence somehow boot him out of the time stream? Do they wrestle? Plus, where exactly are she and the Doctor at the end of the episode? And, hang on, this has just occurred to me – how come Clara’s suspicious of River’s grave? She states she knows the prof isn’t dead, but neither is the Doctor and no one’s querying his resting place.

Normally I’m not sure how much these details matter. Particularly in a story that’s about to skewer our understanding of Doctor Who history. But when so much screen time is also devoted to plot mechanics, it begs you to make a closer inspection

Like myself and most people, we found TNOTD really riveting and engaging the first watch through. They were throwing some heavy shit at us and it all sounded pretty good. However upon rewatches and thinking about the episode logically, you realize it's full of holes and doesn't make any sense. It's sort of like Moffat is the Master and he's hypnotized everyone in the fandom. Doctor Who series 3 "The Sound of Drums" style. Don't know what he's talking about but it sounded good.

11. M.A.C.O.

Super Cafe brought up the same issue I had with Clara "saving" the Doctor in TNOTD.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2swVic8KxY[/yt]

12. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

What is it about Batman that makes everything instantly funnier?

13. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

He's Batman.

14. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That voice is just inherently funny. :D

15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Then, there's the silly suit. Fledermausman :)
    Seriously?
    [​IMG]

How can you not think loon.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  16. M.A.C.O.

Matt Smith is also Batman
    [​IMG]

and Tennant is his Joker
    [​IMG]