STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

I took my best friend to see STID on Monday. It was his first time and my third.

We are the same age (39) and he's a diehard Trekker like I am.

He was in awe the whole time - laughing at all the little in jokes (like the scene with Chekov and "put on a red shirt") and gripping his seat handles during the action. He is thoroughly a fan of Cumberbatch's portrayal and felt that Cumberbatch as Khan was genuinely terrifying and inhuman, like someone conceived in a Petri dish should be, and he also expressed that the Kirk death scene for him had *more* emotional resonance than the original scene in TWOK.

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

If the criticism of the new Trek is something that is specific to it and has no precedent in previous Trek, then no "disclaimer" is needed. But if people are going to pick at the new Trek for exactly (or nearly so) the type of shortcoming/flaw/error/etc. that was common enough in previous Trek, and yet is NOT picked on in prior cases, then yes, it is legitimate to ask why this case and not the earlier case(s)?

Case in point:

Complaint: In Abrams Trek, warp speed and travel time are inconsistent and way too fast--this is a serious flaw that takes me out of the film, etc.

Rebuttal: In TOS, warp speed and travel time are inconsistent and way too fast and that doesn't seem to bother anyone too much.

Complaint: Just because they did it before doesn't mean it's ok now.

Rebuttal: But why was it not a big deal then and is a big deal now? (surely a fair question if one is seizing on this element as worthy of particular criticism)

OR

Complaint: In Trek 2009, they destroyed Vulcan. This was far too drastic a change, in my view, to the Trek universe and I think the story would have been better served by not doing so. Here are 3 reasons why…

Rebuttal: I don't agree because… (but no reference to previous series).

The first complaint is typical of many (though not all) levelled at the Abrams films. It is only fair to include examples from prior Trek in rebuttals.

The second complaint is specific to Abrams films (Vulcan was never destroyed in previous Trek). Pointing to prior Trek in rebuttal is probably not going to be effective.

The issue is the ratio of the first type of complaint to the second. As there are many of the first type, one should not be surprised when prior Trek is called upon in rebuttal.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Great post, Ovation. :techman:

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My favourite movie and my least favourite movie both have actors in. I guess it's hypocritical to favour one over the other.

5. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

No. But you are making a specious argument.

6. BillJ

The sad thing is, you likely believe that is what everyone is talking about.

7. Shazam!

Ovation: Nit-picking stuff such as warp speed/travel time in Abrams' Trek but giving TOS a pass is symptomatic of wider concerns that are far too nebulous to provide any real basis for argument. It's widely accepted that "I didn't like it, erm, because" just doesn't hold water so it's easy to nit-pick specific items that may not hold up in isolation due to movies being more than the sum of their parts.

8. Shazam!

You're right. I'm most likely an idiot.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the poster holds previous Trek films up as something that nuTrek should aspire to, then criticism of the current movies for "flaws" that are evident in the old movies is irrelevant.

10. BillJ

Nope. But when you dig in on a certain position, it becomes harder and harder to dig out. Trust me I use to be a master at digging the hole so deep that no argument, no matter how rational, could drill its way though my thick skull.

I can understand the argument that the story doesn't work, the actors don't fit the part, dislike the set designs, dislike the spaceship designs, dislike lens-flares...

But when we're nitpicking things that have happened in pretty much every incarnation of Trek, I think perspective has been lost. We're down to some posters complaining about Spock running because it looks awkward. Nimoy looked awkward when he ran and I've never seen a single person lodge that as a complaint against TOS.

11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that Quinto and Cumberbatch both resemble track runners a lot more than most actors I've seen in similar situations (all out run).

12. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

13. BillJ

14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's been posted on the board somewhere, already.

15. johnjm22

It's more of a discussion.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

There is, in fact, a whole thread covering that (as Shazam! could no doubt have told you.) But rather than simply posting a link to a lengthy review with which some may not be familiar and saying "There - that's what I think," why not describe your feelings about the movie in your own words?

17. Shazam!

But we can't qualify every complaint. Unless we literally start accepting "because!" as a reasonable argument there will always be holes and / or elements or hypocrisy in anyone's opinions.

Probably because they like TOS / Nimoy more - why would anyone moan about the thing they like? I just read criticism such as that as "and here's another thing..." type of a minor nitpick that of course doesn't hold up to scrutiny but is indicative of the poster's feelings of the movie as a whole.

18. johnjm22

I already did.

It's just that they sum it up better than I do. Some of us aren't as good as others at articulating our thoughts. There's also a laziness factor.

19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I can relate. :lol:

20. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    How does one run like a dork, anyway ?