Classic series episodes on YouTube

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by 23skidoo, Nov 17, 2009.

1. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I couldn't find another thread on this topic, so if this is a repost, please close and redirect.

BBC Worldwide has started to post episodes from the classic series to its YouTube channel. In an unusual twist from the norm, this time the clips are geolocked so everywhere BUT the UK can see them (due to there being ads, apparently):

http://gallifreynewsbase.blogspot.com/2009/11/classic-series-on-youtube.html

The stories being uploaded first are The Edge of Destruction, The Krotons, Carnival of Monsters and The Caves of Androzani.

Alex

2. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love it...but what happened to Episode 2 of "The Krotons"? Wikipedia has nothing about its going missing.

3. Phillip Culley

Phillip Culley Captain Captain

Episode 2 isn't missing, and it is linked to when you do a search for 'The Krotons', although I can't load it...

4. S. Gomez

^Ah, I did the search and found it. It loads for me fine from there. This is so cool!

Episode 2 still doesn't show from the site linked to in the OP's link. (The link in the link doesn't link...oh, never mind.)

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wow, this is awesome! Still, a little weird that it's blocked in the UK. :lol:

6. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

The original news story has now been changed -- the YouTube episodes are no longer blocked in the UK.

Although this takes away a little bit of "now you know how the rest of us feels" I'm glad to hear this because I oppose geolocking on YouTube (I was unable to view, of all things, an official music video the other day because of this). YouTube should remain global in all things - that's why so many people rely on it rather than the useless US-only Hulu.

Alex

7. Spiderpope

Spiderpope Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Started watching the Caves of Androzani after i saw the link, but as someone who hasnt really watched any Who prior to Sylvester McCoy, may i ask: Is Peri always this annoying? Five minutes in and i want to strangle the woman.

8. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

After having watched the entirety of the Sixth Doctor's episodes, I can say...

Yes. Peri IS always that annoying.

9. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Agreed. :bolian:

10. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Interestingly, if you read the recent Doctor Who Magazine in which Androzani was named the No. 1 Doctor Who story of all time, this is generally considered her best performance.

I disagree with the sentiment that she is "always" that annoying. She is much better in the first two chapters of Trial of a Time Lord, as well as the Big Finish audio dramas. That said, my favorite performance by Nicola Bryant was as "Miss Brown" (basically Peri with a British accent) in the BBV independent video production In Memory Alone (part of a series of films called "The Stranger" starring Colin Baker).

Alex

11. The Castellan

The Castellan Commodore Commodore

I was too busy checking her out to pay attention to anything else. :bolian:

Melanie...now SHE was annoying, along with Adric.

12. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

The Doctor actually tries to do that in The Twin Dilemma!:eek:

13. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Well, I would say that's great but the videos aren't available in my country. :lol:
    Oh well, back to watching Classic Who by other means...

14. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

According to DWIN in Canada, the clips AREN'T available in Canada after all.

Someday, someone will actually understand what the term WORLD WIDE WEB means. Until then, I really find it hard to generate any guilt when it comes to watching this content through other means. It's completely their fault and that of the lawyers. (In the case of these episodes it's not a big deal as they're all on DVD anyway.) It's more the principle of the thing. Frankly, if it's not cleared to be seen worldwide, it shouldn't be online (which is probably why no one is streaming the old Batman TV series anywhere).

Alex

15. S. Gomez

^"The Krotons" isn't on DVD, which is the one I was really looking forward to finally seeing. Crap!

16. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

And not in Germany, either.

17. bismarck_1892

bismarck_1892 Captain Captain

I can see why its been ranked No. 1. Its very good. (I hate to say it but... especially for the "old" series). And yes Peri is always that annoying. Its part of her charm. :lol: