‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Fair point, though the ages of the actors in MOS were all over the place too. IIRC, jonathan Kent was supposed to be in his 40s but was played by a nearly-60 Kevin Costner, while Amy Adams is 6 years older than Henry Cavill and 9 years younger than Diane Lane. So the age disparity wouldn't mean an awful lot (don't forget that women often play older in Hollywood - in Blow, Rachel Griffiths played the mother of Johnnny Depp, who is older than her.

2. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

It really baffled me to see Diana Lane play a grey haired Martha Kent

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Sean Connery is 12 years older than Harrison Ford, yet played his father in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. That sort of thing isn't uncommon. Latino Review is about 50/50 in their scoops turning out to be true, though, so we'll see what happens.

4. Captaindemotion

It occurs to me after thinking about this discussion that while there was a 41 year age gap between Christian Bale and Michael Caine, the gap between Ben Affleck and Jeremy Irons is only 24 years. Not particularly relevant to the Hunter discussion but I thought it interesting that this film has a much narrower gap than the Nolan ones (the gap in Gotham is about 37 years, IIRC).

Occurs also, in the Useless Trivia department, that this film will have two actresses with alliterative names (Amy Adams and Holly Hunter). Very comic-bookish!

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. There's a tendency to assume that any actor cast in a superhero movie has to be playing a high-profile character from the original comics, because that's more fun to speculate about, but that's not always the case. She could just be playing some new character: a doctor, a scientist, a lawyer, whatever.

6. Captaindemotion

I remember reading a few weeks ago that she and the other two actors named at the same time were playing original characters. But we'll see.

7. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The press release from Warner Bros said the three actors are playing new characters created for the screen.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Exactly why I'm skeptical of any rumor of that sort. If the character mentioned is someone entirely new, someone that couldn't have been speculated about by some rumor-starter who knows nothing about the actual film, then it's reasonable to take the claim seriously. But if it's something that any random fan would be likely to speculate anyway, then there's no basis for assuming it's true rather than just speculation.

True, the rumor says she might be playing a Leslie Thompkins surrogate rather that Leslie herself, but that could just be the result of adapting speculation to the announcement that they're all playing original characters -- trying to have it both ways. "I was still right about it being Leslie, because it'll be someone just like Leslie!" Yeah, not exactly convincing.

9. Captaindemotion

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could be cool. I've liked Cyborg in most of the stuff I've seen the character in.

11. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I have to assume at this point that there's going to be a "JLA assemble" element in this film, to justify all of these characters popping up.

12. Captaindemotion

Though I do wonder if it's going to be a bit of an Iron Man 2 "let's set up the ensemble movie" mess.

13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Whether or not it's the same sort of thing as IM2, I fully expect the film to be a mess, and will be pleasantly surprised...nay, astonished...if it manages not to be one.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I was fine with Batman and WW, but I admit it is starting to get a bit ridiculous having all these other super-powered characters show up in this world so shortly after Superman made his appearance.

Perhaps if the end of the movie were to jump forward in time a few years before they all arrive, the idea would make some kind of sense. But somehow I doubt that's the way it's going to go down.

15. Christopher

Maybe this movie will just introduce Victor Stone in order to set up his transformation into Cyborg in the next movie. Kind of like Harvey Dent in the Tim Burton Batman, or Rhodey in the Iron Man movies.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

My guess is that they're going to take the approach that there have been superheroes and otherworldly things around for a while but that they've been below the radar and it's the emergence of Superman that brings them into full public view. And, as Christopher says, they may introduce some characters in their non-powered form before ramping things up later.

17. Christopher

Yeah, that could be. Certainly we know that Batman's going to be portrayed as an older, veteran crimefighter.

Anyway, the premise of Man of Steel wasn't that the discovery of superheroes was unprecedented and worldshaking, but that the discovery of aliens was. So they can't have Martian Manhunter or Green Lantern predating Superman (unless GL keeps the basis of his powers a secret), but the world as established doesn't necessarily rule out a pre-existing Wonder Woman or Cyborg or the Flash, say. (Although I think it's probably more likely that they'll use Kryptonian tech as the basis for Cyborg's cybernetics and a source of other acquired superpowers, the way the MCU has done with Asgardian and Chitauri tech.)

18. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    When I've rewatched Iron Man 2 recently, I've found the crossover elements far less intrusive than I used to. I still think there are some bits with the Nick Fury bit in the middle that don't 100% work. But in retrospect, the movie still has its own, unique, Iron Man-y flavor.

Still, it's tough to shove as many characters into a movie as they seem to be trying to do with the new Batman/Superman movie. While The Avengers was super-popular, I think the only reason why the number of characters didn't tear the movie apart is because Joss Whedon is an expert at picking exactly which pieces of exposition are necessary to understand the story and which pieces would just confuse general audiences.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Much as I'm excited to see a glut of super heroes... Superman and Batman being together is such a great concept on its own that I'd like an entire movie dedicated to that before moving on to the others.

20. Christopher

We still don't know how prominent the characters will be. The impression I'm getting is that they may be cameos/minor parts setting up larger roles later on. Kinda like Agent 13 in The Winter Soldier or Amanda Waller in Green Lantern (which was itself hoped to be the start of a multi-hero film franchise).