What if Garrett Wang had left Voyager instead of Jennifer Lien?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ro_Laren, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Terry was offered a spot on the new Ted Danson comedy "Becker" and she assumed that it was going to be as big as Cheers and that she in turn would become as big as Sheklley Long or Kirstie Ally.

Now why she left Becker half way through it's run, I have no idea.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What would have been hilarious is if the coffee machine had exploded and randomly killed the character.

3. Guy Gardener

Or if she was fatally shot during a mugging from a drifter played by Mark Alaimo.

4. teacake

Yes! A hugely missed opportunity.

5. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would be incorrect. "The Reckoning" & "The Visitor" or "Nor the Battle to the Strong" both of those things happened to Jake.
    No need to mention it, before Worf joined DS9 only had 8 main cast members allowing them the budget to add one more.

As a big fan of Jadzia Dax while I was sad to see her go, I accept the character is dead and have no problems with main characters being killed off on the programs I watch especially since death of main characters on TV shows is becoming more & more common.

Yes, I know. Nobody ever is and yet, here we are on the biggest Trek fan boy site.

As I said, Hater.

If you find psycho train wrecks hot.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I liked Jadzia, I don't get all the hate for her on this forum. She wasn't the most essential character on the show, but I think a character who already had hundreds of years of a developed personality was welcome divergence from the average TV character.

I don't mind killing off characters but I hate it when they kill off characters based on contracts expiring. Just that knowledge for the reason the character died diminishes the immersion of the show and reminds you that this fictional world you've invested in is subject to real world economics. And the particular way they killed Jadzia really sucked, it was just kind of random.

IMO, if characters die on a show, it should flow naturally from the plot, instead of the usual case where it feels like it's either contract-based or a marketing tactic.

I remember when that episode first aired, the commercial "ONE OF THESE PEOPLE WILL NOT SURVIVE THE EPISODE!" No, that's stupid. If you want to kill off a character just let it happen naturally. Let it be story driven, not marketing driven.

7. Guy Gardener

Exodus, Timewalker is perhaps suggesting that she is a Fangirl.

8. teacake

Anyone who uses the word "filk" in a sentence and hates at least one chunk of her chosen alt world is definitely a fangirl.

I'm just saying this to get in quick in case Timewalker denies being a fangirl because she is so a fangirl :D

Which she should be proud of!

9. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Terry Farrell as Jadzia Dax is not perfect, but ... she's perfect for me.

10. teacake

Too bad Dukat killed her then, BWAHAHAHAHA

11. 2takesfrakes

Ah, well ... it was fun, while it lasted! I never did buy her as having a thousand years of wisdom behind her eyes, though. But she didn't need all that ... what she really needed was a micro-miniskirt as part of her regular uniform - not unlike the one she wore in Trials and Tribulations! Mmmmm ... that was pretty mini, as I recall. DS9 would have these occassional flashes of brilliance, like that and then ... have it go nowhere. :confused:

12. teacake

Where did you want it to go? Jadzia returns to her century and does a complete makeover on station uniforms?

13. 2takesfrakes

Well ... no ... not as such. But, she could bring her old skant uniform out of storage and hike it up a bit, for a start ...

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I'm listening.

15. teacake

As long as you get the men in skants I'm on board.

I know Miles will refuse but I bet it would be easy to get Julian into one, just have Jadzia casually mention how hot men look in them.

16. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
  17. teacake

I'LL TAKE IT!

18. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't watched all episodses of DS9 yet but what I know, in all cases mentioned above, Jake was restored back to normal. The series didn't end with him remaining a psycho or a pathetic wreck.

If the budget was so tight for Voyager that they couldn't have 10 main character (which I doubt) then maybe they shouldn't have started dabbling with the cast and instead had worked with what they already had (which was a good cast indeed).

Even if you accept favorite characters being killed off, then please try to understand and respect those who feels different, especially when it comes to how "the Kes issue" was handled by those in charge.

Personally I learned a few things from Voyager which made me create two rules for watching a series:

1. Don't ever get too involved with a series and/or its characters because it might end up in a big dissapointment.

2. If a main character is killed off or dumped in a way you feel inappropriate, quit watching the series immediately and never look back.

19. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I seem to recall an interview with Terry Farrell where she says straight that she would've prefered Jadzia to be transfered rather than killed off... she said it was affection for the character, but also I think she'd have prefered it because if this Becker thing didn't work out she would still have had some life-line to returning to DS9... but it's a well known tactic used by some Hollywood producers, to kill off characters whose actors walk from their show, precisely so that their bridge backwards gets burnt behind them. Perhaps Farrell did come to regret her decision to jump on Ted Danson's new show instead of staying on the Star Trek ticket one more year. Or maybe she figured, hey, it's only one more season anyways so what the hell. :)

This "kill off the character because the actor wants to leave" trope is so common in TV-land that the occasions when it isn't used, like when Detective John Kelly in NYPD Blue was allowed to stay alive (off-screen) even though David Caruso was being an asshole and leaving the show under a cloud, are all the more notable.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oh, c'mon. When you've got the whole symbiote thing built into the Dax character from the beginning, how do you NOT play that card if the opportunity arises? There's almost no point to having a Trill regular if you don't have her/him get a new host at some point. It's like having a Vulcan and never doing a pon faar plot . . .

Not introducing a new Dax when Terry Ferrell sought greener pastures would have been a crime against storytelling.