"Nor the Battle to the Strong"...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Distorted Humor, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Distorted Humor

Distorted Humor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just finished watching this episode, and two things came to mind.

I can't decide if this is a good episode or not, at some points it has its strong points, and other times it seems so hamfisted that it not worth watching.

and Secondly, is there where Bashir is replaced by the founder? or is it a later episode?

2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, Bashir was taken off a different planet and happened off screen. The best we can do with time is that Moore said it happened before "Rapture".

3. NKemp3

NKemp3 Commodore Commodore

It is a good episode that falls short of being great.

It could have been better. If the episode had concentrated even more on Bashir and Jake and taken away most of the scenes with Sisko worrying about his son (which led to another Sisko hugging Jake and kissing him on the head during their reunion). And while I applaud the decision to make Jake run away from the situation (it is more realistic), I think Jake owning up to his cowardness was not enough. He should have lived with the shame of it more even if rationally speaking he didn't do anything wrong. It would have been a nice followup if TPTB had mentioned that a main reason for his decision to stay aboard DS9 during "Call To Arms" was that he wanted to try to make ammends from running away from danger During "Nor the Battle...". Last of all the episode needed to be more gritty. The war stuff on that planet looked a little too clean for my tastes.

4. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

I thought this episode was great.

"Hamfisted" is something we could say about a lot of Star Trek. Star Trek is known not so much for high-drama, but higher concepts. This episode fit that bill perfectly.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed this episode immensely. It really put you in the viewpoint of a regular person in the Trek verse as opposed to the regular heroes who aren't afraid of anything and will always do the right thing when things get tough.

Jake's hardly among my favorite characters, but this is an episode where you really feel for him a lot and they captured his viewpoint of everything from being annoyed by Bashir's babbling to fleeing from the battle because he's scared quite well.

This is my second favorite Jake episode, nothing being able to trump the Visitor. This is also the only freaking episode where artillery is used in ground combat. So points for realism there.

6. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Definitely an interesting episode. The episode does a good job of making the Klingons genuinely seem like a race to be feared again.

7. Jimi_James

Jimi_James Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Pretty much everything here...I agree with. This is one of the best war episodes of the entire series and I would rank it highly among best overall episodes of the series. Perhaps not in the top ten, but definitely in the top 20.

8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

The only firm "complaint" that I have about the episode is that I feel it suffers in comparison to "The Siege of AR-558" (hopefully got that right).