Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Two more reboots (so in 2016 I guess) and he won't even have an S on the chest.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Hell, why don't they go the really cheap route and do a Smallville where he wears just blue jeans and a red t-shirt or jacket :rolleyes:

3. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I'm glad to see the undies gone, but a red or gold belt would have gone a long way towards providing some contrast to the rather homogeneous blue tones.

Still liking what I'm seeing, though.

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I agree. Slight disappointment with the lack of red undies but overall I like the costume and I am still excited about this movie.

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Does anyone know what character this guy wearing motion capture paraphernalia is playing? Some rumor says it is actually Doomsday.

[​IMG]

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

There's been talk that, in at least some scenes, Zod exists as an exaggerated projection. The pole is certainly there to give the actors an eyeline for the size of the actual CGI creation.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

My ears are burning.

[​IMG]

8. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm a true blue Superman fan since 1979 and I think it looks fine from a distance.

9. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe their celebrating Festivus!

10. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

Pole? Feats Of Strength? Airing Of Grievances? Oh, yeah. :D

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which brings up the point, of course, that in a modern movie the number of shots in which you'll see Supes posing or strolling along in a full length shot are very limited. Most of the outfit will be of negligible importance to most of the audience, so there's no reason that the designers shouldn't go with their own taste and best judgment rather than being slavish to something they don't like.

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Grant Morrison's Action Comics Superman DOES just have a t-shirt and jeans, along with a cape :) Not sue why The Seeker decided to repost a different link to the same set of pictures I had done on the same but oh well.

I think Superman's design resembles the relaunch costume a bit but with the Earth 2 style House of El crest. Faroa looks great to me, and Timby's point about Zod appearing as a projection of some sort is interesting. Perhaps Zod is still trapped in the zone and Faora is on Earth to free him?

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

For some reason I really like the idea of the older emblem design, though it would never have occurred to me.

But then, I like an awful lot of things done by writers, directors and other artists that I would never have thought of or chosen to do myself. That's why I go to movies, read books and stuff like that instead of spending my all free time with my eyes closed making them up in my head.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I totally missed your post. I've been trying to avoid story spoliers so I've been skimming through pretty quickly. Wasn't trying to steal your thunder or anything.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Ahhh okay then. It's all cool.

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks like there is indeed a thin gold belt there, but it just isn't reading well from this distance.

Personally I really like it. The darker, shinier areas on the wrists, sides, and upper legs really help break up the monotony of the blue (much like on the Fantastic Four costumes). And the extra long cape gives him a bit of a royal appearance.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I could go either way on the red briefs, though I prefer them to be there. But there should be a golden belt or something there to break-up the all blue figure.

It's hard to tell because it's a lousy picture but it almost looks like that horrible "costume" that -presumably- Nicholas Cage was set to wear in the Burton version.

18. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess by 86-ing the trunks they're trying to make Supes look less like a "wrastler", and more dignified.

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Fail.