*Spock/Zachary Quinto Appreciation Zone*

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Cassy4, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Good gawd, that academy cap is a stunner! Did that come from a trailer? It's so freaking big, clear and saturated.

Edit: Oh, I see; it's got JJ in it, so it's a promo.

2. NileQT87

NileQT87 Commander Red Shirt

Three seasons are really not hard to watch (seriously, it took me about 4-5 days to blast right through them, but then again, I'm a marathon queen--I've watched entire seasons in 1 day before).

And I disagree with the decline. Season 3 was amazing, IMO. Season 2 had issues because of the Writer's Strike. Sylar is far more prominent in season 3 than he was in season 1.

But if you want to just watch episodes with a ZQ/Sylar-focus (his character is easily the most fun and multi-dimensional on the show), there's only 47 episodes that he was in out of the total 56.

If there's any episode that is known as the 'hook' episode, it's episode 1x09 - Homecoming. His first episode was 1x08 - Seven Minutes To Midnight, but all he does is sit at a diner in the shadows, show his cracked Sylar watch and can-open the waitress' head as she uses the can-opener. You don't see ZQ's face (once again, obscured by shadow) until Homecoming, and even then you only see his eye until his hat is taken off at the end. This episode is very necessary, however, to show what the series is about as well as to introduce Sylar. The first episode that really showcases ZQ as an actor is 1x10 - Six Months Ago, in which you get to see the Gabriel Gray part of Sylar (the watchmaking prehistory). 1x11 - Fallout is where the events of Homecoming continue and features some amazing scenes between Sylar, who has become totally insane, and Noah Bennet a.k.a. Horn-Rimmed Glasses.

Probably ZQ's best or most memorable episodes were:
    Homecoming, Six Months Ago, Fallout, Distractions, Parasite, The Hard Part, How To Stop An Exploding Man, Kindred, Truth And Consequences, The Second Coming, One Of Us, One Of Them, I Am Become Death, Angels And Monsters, Villains, The Eclipse pt. 2, Dual, Shades Of Gray, Into Asylum, I Am Sylar & An Invisible Thread.

I think you can more or less piece together his journey with these. The Gabriel episodes (if slightly sociopathic, dorky watchmaker with mother issues that make him want to be "special" is more appealing to you than the absolutely delightful skull-slicing "magnificent bastard" unkillable serial killer) are Six Months Ago, The Hard Part (probably ZQ's best acting!), Villains & I Am Sylar (also one of his greatest performances). Shades of Gray goes a long way to show just why Sylar has more layers than just the "Sylar" image he puts on--it basically shows a mirror image of himself in his father and what he doesn't want to become.

Here's a fanvid that is pretty much The Hard Part and Fallout/the rest of season 1 in a nutshell (with a little help from Queen): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfTDs44-n5c

(God, I love his facial expressions in The Hard Part.)

And anything Sylar/Noah is pretty much gold.

If it helps, George Takei and Nichelle Nichols have recurring roles on the show!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  3. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

I haven't watched Heroes, but I've been looking at the pictures here. Something about Zach's hair being shorter and fluffier (if you get what I mean) makes him look even more insane than usual.

Oh my... this one's got to go to the Urban thread too. Hope you don't mind!

4. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

5. NileQT87

Some wifebeater/chest hair goodness (vapid - who, me?):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One of my favorite scenes (Sylar does a good deed!):
    [​IMG]

The two hottest guys on the show (No, really. HRG rocks!):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Gotta love the finger o' doom:
    [​IMG]

It's all about those big, huge eyes and cute persed cupid bow lips:
    [​IMG]

6. diftorhehsmusma

diftorhehsmusma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

....i must clarify: i have a 1 1/2 year old who takes up the majority of my time every day. i simply don't have the time to blow through 3 seasons of anything. it took me, like, a month to get through TOS. some days i managed to get 3 or 4 episodes, and that was seriously pushing it. also i have a man who works hard and wants attention (geez, i know....) when he comes home. altogether this leaves me with nowhere near enough time for myself, much less nurturing any more obsessions. oy.

but thanks very much for the episode list! i am interested in all sides of any character who catches my eye, and your little bit of backstory will no doubt come in handy. :cool:

also.... ^^ what is with his eyes in that last pic? looks like someone got happy with the photoshop, and the result is not appealing. his eyes are glowing, for pete's sake! even sylar doesn't have photoshoppy glowing eyes, does he?

7. Doggeh

Doggeh Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Call me crazy, but the look that Sylar gets when hes going in for a kill is too hot for words. Those eyes are intense!

8. NileQT87

There seem to be a lot of pictures of him where if there's a bright light shining in his eyes, his eyes kind of take on an amber glow. What you're seeing is a bright light shining in his eyes. It's not digitally altered because there are numerous photos of him with glowy amber eyes with light reflections.

Personally, I think that's a great shot of him. Very appealing. ;)

One thing that I always notice with him is his open bite (his front teeth aren't aligned properly and have a space in front between his upper and lower teeth). It's kind of cute. I like it when actors have personality in their not-so-perfect teeth. His open bite also adds to his long-jawed appearance and the constant persing of his lips.

As for not being interested in watching him play a villain, IMO, he's a right bastard most of the time, but he definitely has his sympathetic side to him and you can't help but root for the guy sometimes. The morally gray characters (see: "gray"--most of the characters aren't all black or white--and Sylar's real last name being "Gray" is a big hint at that) are the most enjoyable (Sylar, Noah Bennet, Angela Petrelli, etc... being the most obviously morally ambiguous of the bunch).

9. Crusher Disciple

Then come over here and hang out with me. I'm stressing out over my how mine look in my head shots. :(

10. NileQT87

In Trekkie news, I'm about to get to season 2 of TOS (though I've seen a few out-of-order episodes from following seasons).

Spock and McCoy are hands-down my favorites. That definitely came through in the movie with these new versions, too.

Here's the obligatory sexy Sylar fanvid loaded with shirtlessness, wifebeaters, smiles, apple-munching, Mr. Muggles-loving and Sybrow action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3InGc1T2bY
    And just because I love the clip choices: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlINMrP5rOo
    A great little Sylar trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS3dEFX1Zuk

And here's the Spock romance video (both Quinto and Nimoy): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQJ8fHsQ7Js

11. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that Homecoming was Zach's first episode in Heroes. Sylar was played by stuntmen before that - the role hadn't even been cast.

I don't think a serialized show like Heroes can really be watched by skipping episodes. You'd just get lost that way. And season 1 is quite good overall, even without Sylar. I enjoyed the first 8 or 9 episodes even if he wasn't in them except as a faceless threat. Well, actually, season 1 was very good until the finale, which I found very disappointing.

Season 2 was too disjointed aand there were boring parts. Season 3 is more interesting, but in Volume 3 (first part of season 3) the story is particularly complicated, so much that it's difficult to understand even when you're watching all the episodes - skipping episodes would probably make it completely confusing!

12. diftorhehsmusma

No, i meant the whites of his eyes. i have known or dated far too many digital arts people not to be sensitive to this - someone definitely put that shot in photoshop and whitened his eyes just a bit too much.
    sad, too, cause otherwise i agree with you, it was a good photograph before someone messed it up.

that is totally cute. who wants perfection? not me! (and certainly not anyone who's a big fan of this sylar fellow!) OTOH, in many ways he is perfect, and the fact that he seems human does not diminish how great he appears. it just makes it that much easier to imagine actually meeting him and having a conversation. :techman:

13. diftorhehsmusma

yeah, i know how that is. but i simply don't have the energy to devote to it. i am a pretty smart gal, i shall have to just make the best go of it that i can, in the space that i can.

thanks for all the input!

14. NileQT87

Well, yeah. It's not a show that I recommend seeing out of order, but if you had to pick a first episode to knock someone's socks off who is fighting watching it and you need a quick pay-off to get their interest up, Homecoming is probably your best bet (and it's early enough to where it should all make sense).

I didn't find season 3 to be all that confusing... But then again, I love the infamous season 4 of Angel: the Series (LMAO) a.k.a. the season-long depressing episode. For the record, that show is the king of moral ambiguity where the heroes and villains aren't actually all that far apart (for goodness sake, Angelus' killing record makes Sylar look like a pansy--a show whose main character is pretty much Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde). I tend to like shows like that. Heroes is not the show you watch for Superman-like pearly white heroics. It's kind of brilliant how on the surface it seems like it should be, but then it's undercut by the fact that not all these characters should have these powers, some of the powers suck (or are even harmful for characters who want to be good guys) and not all of the good guys want to be anything special.

Okay, I just watched waaaaaay too many Sylaire videos. Heh. I dig that pairing a lot (the fact that I'm a sucker for explorations of immortality won me over and I look forward to a possible redemption arc--"You could save us all."--and Sylar promising to be a better Nathan than Nathan was and thus getting to be "special" in Nathan's life like he always wanted). Is it September yet?

As for Trek... Is it 2011 yet? Sigh.

I actually thought season 3 had some of the most interesting character developments (I am so looking forward to more Sylar/Claire and Sylar/Nathan in season 4+) and episodes yet (Sylar/Noah, Sylar/Angela and Sylar/Danko being other favorite combinations of mine).

And I have to give a shout-out to Heroes for making the most accidental, but blatant incest chemistry since Luke and Leia (yes, I'm talking about Paire--Peter/Claire). It's priceless how everybody was lead to believe that Peter and Claire had 'shippy vibes and then BAM! Yeah, that's not going to happen. Luke and Leia still win for their epic incestuous imagery that will NEVER be lived down (ESB, anyone?). Well, that basically left Sylar for Claire as the only eligible bachelor who means anything to her, is leading man-worthy and isn't related to her. LOL. Now there's a pair. Not to mention the fact that Sylar now has a head full of daddy Nathan's memories. Sylar just might be sick enough to continue his infatuation. And hey, they both have a little immortality problem where they will be stuck together for eternity unable to kill each other.

As for my Spock/McCoy love... Off to finish off season 1 and head for season 2 tonight. ;) The Horta liked Spock's ears. LMAO. That was adorable. The Alternative Factor was kind of a blegh episode, though.

I've already seen City On The Edge Of Forever (which, by the way--awesome--and it was even critical of the anti-war movement, which was appreciated--it almost makes up for "save the whales"). CotEoF make me a big fan of Spock incognito. The beanie was priceless. And of course, a touching ending, even if the woman was totally misguided. Nice little brain-f*ck episode.

Aww. More Spock/McCoy cuteness. McCoy was the first thing Spock saw when he regained his eyesight and McCoy was so wrapped up with Spock's eyesight that he forgot about his ears. Priceless moment. I love those two at odds with each other.

Who Mourns For Adonais? - Spock/Uhura interaction! Okay, that Olympian-sized God effect was probably a bad special effect choice. The message about gods and Greek civilization was good, though. Spock looks like Pan? LOL. I liked Carolyn's outfit and hair. One thing about the '60s is that the bouffant hair always fascinates me. Speaking of which, McCoy quoted the word "fascinating". Funny.

15. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

Thanks for the nod. You turn a very pretty phrase I must say! Trekkies = salmon :guffaw:

16. Rackon

Rackon Commander Red Shirt

17. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

Aaaaaaaahhhh.. yumyumyum... He really is a hunk of a man..

Sorry, it is too early in the morning to be more eloquent..

18. Crusher Disciple

I just saw the eipsode these are from. Most favoritest Heroes episode EVER!!! Crockett and Tubbs ride again. :lol: (Quinto on Ellen reference).

And what does HRG stand for? Does it just refer to Noah? :confused:

19. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HRG = Horn rimmed glasses. Noah Bennet was nicknamed HRG in season 1 when his name still wasn't known to the audience, and it stuck.

20. Crusher Disciple

Aaaaaaaahhh! Okay, I get it. So Sylar's BMFE (or Big MFing Eyebrows?) :angel: