Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I assume English isn't his first language, he may be having problems communicating what he was thinking.

2. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

My guess would be "I don't see why anyone in the UK would care about Star Trek, don't they have Doctor Who there?"

Ah yes because we all only watch one show and it has to be made in our native country...

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

4. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

I actually think it's pretty cool that both shows are "cross cultural" as it were. I've never been a big Whovian but a lot of my friends (and co-workers) are. The Brits make a lot of good shows it kinda bugs me that here in America we have to make our own version of everything, or shows made in countries like Canada have to be "Americanized" before they are put on a major network out here.

Anywho back to the topic, I see that the Abramprise is about to be released in GB soon, anyone have any idea when it will be released here in the states? I'm mostly asking because I'm wanting to know when to expect my wallet to take a major hit again...still recovering from DS9!

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I only want the new Enterprise one if the magazine has top/side/fore/aft etc views of the actual CG model from the movie - I've asked a couple of times on their FB page if it'll be the case, but I take it from their lack of response that it won't be.

6. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

The fact that the UK has Doctor Who is the reason I like Star Trek so much. I've never liked Doctor Who.

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

What?

8. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm trying to watch Doctor Who now and I'm having trouble getting through it. It's the goofiness that I'm not comfortable with. I'm up to the farting aliens episode in season 1 and... sigh.

9. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well so far, what's everyones favorite of the ships they have gotten,i.e. which one do they think is the best overall made?

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 1996 TV movie is the only Doctor Who I really liked. Shame it never spawned a series.

11. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed. You can see here how excited a bunch of AMERICAN teens (boys and girls) are for the show:

(Assuming this blessed youtube embedding trick works)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  12. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

I'll let you know this month when I get the Thunderchild ;)

13. Luminus

So, I've gotten my first shipment, today. The Enterprise D. What's interesting about the magazine it comes with is the listing about the Borg. It says the Enterprise D was the first Starfleet vessel to survive an encounter with the Borg. Which is interesting, because, technically, it was the Enterprise NX-01, and then the Raven, and then the Enterprise D.

So, I've forced myself to continue watching Doctor Who and I'm warming up to it. I'm still put off by the goofiness, but episodes with the Daleks and Cybermen are making up for them.

14. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Cool, I've had the D for what feels like months now.

And yes it was the first Starfleet vessel to survive. Earth Starfleet didn't know who they were, so it kinda counts, but as it was Earth, not the Federation Starfleet, it doesn't.

And the Raven, although if memory serves had a Starfleet registry and equipped with LCARS interfaces, it wasn't crewed by Starfleet Officers, instead (mentally deranged) scientists and it did get blown to buggery after a while and it's occupants assimilated/killed.

So technically, the D was the first Starfleet vessel to survive the Borg. :p

15. Luminus

:lol: Nice.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Raven crash landed, it was wrecked up pretty badly but not destroyed until 7 found it again, the Borg finished the job.

But the magasine looks at things from a production point of view, they'll list things that happened in series order.

17. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Production and character wise its the D, historically is enterprise E.

18. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Haven't gotten the Defiant and Sphere yet, despite being charged for it at least 2 weeks ago. I blame this weather, but I'm still worried. :S

19. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. Luminus

How are you displaying your ships? I'm looking for a display case, but I can't seem to find one I'm satisfied with.