Feline Follies

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Alienesse, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I've never forgotten that Casey found my family rather than us finding her. I don't know where she began, but I know that on one rainy night in November of 1998, she was a starving little cat who'd been on the streets and found an apartment with a few generous boys, my brother one of them. They took pity on that little waif and fed her and then they had a pet they couldn't keep. My brother asked his future wife, but her cat wasn't willing to share and the future wife's younger sister asked her parents but they said no. So my parents caved rather then send that little cat to a shelter. She was a little afraid of us for a bit, but became a wonderful house cat. She was my best friend for almost 15 years. As much as I love my dog, she can't purr and she can't sit with me like Casey could.

2. Avalon

Avalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

((((((Peach)))))) I'm so sorry about Casey.

My own dog and cat are getting up there in years (14 and 10 respectively; my dog is a rescue and my cat adopted us), so this is something that's frequently on my mind.

3. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

So sad. It was a little over 18 months ago that we had to put our Mycroft to rest. He had thyroid disease and we treated that and he was recovering when we noticed his ear was really bad. Took him back to the vet (I was very pissed because I was like "what the hell? you all did see this before?") and it looked like he had cancer.

They said we could do surgery but it wasn't 100% guaranteed because it was in his ear canal and so close to his brain stem. We decided it was his time. It was so hard and I'm beginning to tear up as I type this.

We had him since he was a kitten, 14 1/2 years and he was a trooper, traveling all over the country and to Germany with us since I'm in the US Army.

I miss him so much. okay, I have to go get some air. This is making me really sad thinking about my Mycroft.

4. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

My sympathy, Peach Wookiee.

That's how I felt about my two German Shepherds -- they were wonderful, but they didn't purr. I'm back to cats now.

5. Peach Wookiee

(((((Sigokat)))))

6. pigletsgiblets

pigletsgiblets Commodore Commodore

I'm sorry Peach Wookiee about Casey.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Same here. I hope you feel better soon.

8. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Aww :), he looks a lot like my little one. So adorable.

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Thanks! He's a HUGE cat, but he's my little fluff ball.

10. Peach Wookiee

Is Junior part mackerel tabby, auntiehill? I noticed the telling M mark on his forehead. And he does look like a big healthy boy. How big is he?

11. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

If I ever get another cat I'd love to get one like him. Or one with socks. Or an orange kitty. Okay, clearly I want another cat.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

or three!

13. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

Cats are more fun in pairs. They have company when you're at work, as well.

14. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I would but I would also like a boyfriend at some point. How many cats can a person get before they ruin all chances of dating in the future?

15. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am in full agreement.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My current cat does NOT like other cats. Or dogs. Or humans. She basically only likes me. I have a roommate that my cat has lived with for the last 3 years, and she still won't go anywhere near him unless I am also in the room.

I would love to get another cat to keep her company when I'm gone, but I don't think she would want anything to do with it.

17. auntiehill

I know he's a Maine Coon and I suspect part Tabby, but the owner who rescued his mother said he was full Maine Coon. Not terribly sure about that.

Back in October, he weighed about 12 pounds. Now, he's probably closer to 13 or 14. He's now about 16 months old.

I tried to measure him with a tape measure (not easy, as he kept trying to eat the tape measure) and stretched him out a bit. His body was about 26 inches. Add about another 9 or 10 inches for his tail.

I have a 21 inch monitor on my desktop, so for comparison, here's Junior sleeping on my keyboard.
    [​IMG]

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Bein' a cat...

[​IMG]

19. auntiehill

Awww. He looks like one content kitty.

20. Peach Wookiee

They both look happy. And such beautiful big paws...