science/tech quotes of importance

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by think, May 4, 2009.

1. think

think About it! Premium Member

“Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.” --

that is a humorous quote by Albert Einstein.

""Your theory is crazy, but it's not crazy enough to be true."
    - Niels Bohr

that one makes me laugh so much. and is a classic for me; one I discovered today is

“Religions die when they are proved to be true. Science is the record of dead religions.” - Oscar Wilde

(think about it)

And yet what other quotes are there amongst the great scientists or sciences?

or even in the trek scrips themselves ??

2. Mr. B

Mr. B Vice Admiral Admiral

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke

3. curson

curson Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Albert Einstein: "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds."

Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

4. think

"In an infinite universe all points are the center of that universe." unsure where this quote came from but, one of the three books that were written concerning an artists way had this quote, if memory serves.

"personally I believe that the perfect circle is a straight line." I am sure that this was a quote I heard somewhere.

---It is when the power of love is greater then the love of power that we will know ourselves again--- Jimi Hendrix said something along these lines.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

"I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds"

- Oppenheimer at the first nuclear bomb detonation.

6. flux_29

flux_29 Commodore Commodore

Humanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.
    Isaac Asimov

If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.
    Isaac Asimov

7. yellowdingo

yellowdingo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"String Theory invalidates Religion and Evolution." - S.R. Meaney

"The Universe is Debris of change in possibility, Time is continuous change in possibility, and the Singularity is the point of change in Possibility." - S.R. Meaney

"A divided by Zero equals NOT A, where NOT A is a number set unrelated to A except at Superposition." -S.R. Meaney

"Black Holes expand backward and forward through time from their point of Origin." -S.R. Meaney

my four faves.

8. think

I really was not even able to find this -S.R. Meaney on the net! So does he/she really exist or what? just a link to a amazon book or maybe a web site would be helpful at this point ., right?

9. yellowdingo

yellowdingo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

SECRET IDENTITY REVEAL: I'm S.R. Meaney, I just decided to let you have the four quotes instead of waiting a hundred years for some one with half my IQ (my IQ = 214) to stumble across them like they made an incredible discovery - unexpected and such.

Possibility defines your perception of reality. That means that concepts such as time (caused by continuous change in that possibility) are flawed. The singularity past the event horizon you cant cross is a point of possibility change. The Event horizon is a wall than can only be passed if your possibility exceeds the possibility of the event horizon. It is also why Black holes expand backward and forward through time from their point of origin.
    If you want scary, Only Life is capable of creating change in possibility and must do so from superposition. That makes what we have a fiddly little fight over immortality - no god, no evolution, no time - unless you are loosing the fight. That is also why the Universe is Debris of change in possibility.

10. think

I exist within multiple realities simultaneously as I care to be and become of. but SO and so what .,

Oh and, please don't make that lesson needed again OK I have better things to become of,.

btw: you know what I think of IQ's? I think the way they are defined is incorrect just by the way they explain what is obviously not real at certain levels of being.,
    The scale, properly speaking, does not permit the measure of intelligence, because intellectual qualities are not superposable, and therefore cannot be measured as linear surfaces are measured.

—Binet, 1905

Last edited: May 16, 2009