The Defiance Thread - News about the Show and Game

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PlainSimpleJoel, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^No, if the gameplay has no real impact on the show, then I'm fine with that; it means the show's storyline will be shaped by its writing staff rather than random game players, as it should be. But though I'm glad for the purposes of the show that all the alleged interactivity of the game is just empty hype, I don't respect that it's empty hype, because it's basically lying to the game players, promising them a level of control they won't actually have. Just because I don't share those players' tastes or interests, that doesn't mean I approve of deceiving them. I'm not a simple-minded person. I can hold more than one thought in my head at once.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The impression I got is that it will be more like when we see crossovers between TV shows. There will be instances where events and missions in the game will be set ups for future episodes and events in the show.
    One other example they've already used is that when you start the game you work with Grant Bowler and Stephanie Leonidas's characters and then after a mission or two the take off, and then we pick back up with them on the road heading to Defiance in the pilot. I have a feeling it's going to be a lot of that kind of stuff, not situations where player choices actually change the show.

3. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

i wonder if Mike Dopud will be in it. He has been in every sci fi tv show that i have seen in the last few years.

4. Christopher

Well, Dopud is a Vancouver-based actor, and most of the shows he appears in are shot there (or in nearby Portland, Oregon in the case of Grimm). Defiance is being shot in Toronto, on the opposite side of Canada. However, Dopud has appeared in at least a couple of Toronto-made shows, including Flashpoint and the CW's Beauty and the Beast. So it's not out of the question, but not as likely as it'd be if the show were Vancouver-made.

5. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just saw the trailer, and it looks pretty good. Will definitely be checking it out.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There is a new trailer airing during Syfy's Powerful Monday (not sure which show). I found it online, but I'm going to wait to see it on TV first.

7. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry for bumping the thread, but I just found out about this show - and the game that goes with it - and have to say that it looks and sounds freaking brilliant. I've been looking for a Sci-Fi show to fall in love with since the end of BSG and the premature end of Caprica, and this thing sounds like it's going to have everything that I liked about those two shows and then some, and the prospect of interactivity between the show and the game has me giddy even though I don't normally play MMOs.

Based on the four Making Of videos that you can find on the official Defiance website, it sounds as if the interactivity between the show and the game is going to manifest itself in the form of the writers taking a look at what's happening in the game world and then tying major in-game events and whatnot into what's going on in the series and vice versa. This isn't likely to happen in real-time, but it does sound as if the PTB behind the show and the game fully intends to make things as interconnected as they can given that they really can't mimic the real-time story nature of the game.

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not really, the game has a set way of how it has to turn out, and is designed to have significant developments sync up with the show. That's all.

9. Christopher

Yeah, apparently it isn't one of those things like EVE Online (which I only know about because I read an item about it a couple of days ago) where it's just an open world and the players themselves shape events. It's more a kind of game like Star Trek Online or the defunct City of Heroes where you just play through a set of prescripted scenarios in order to reach a predetermined goal. They wouldn't be reckless enough to have the show's events depend on something as random and unpredictable as the interactions and choices of thousands of players -- including trolls, hackers, or whatever you call people who play MMOs with the deliberate intent to sabotage others.

10. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

about advertising:
    they will redefine what a show sponsorship is.
    3 major advertisers: Dodge, Verizon and Axe. about Dodge:
    source
    Hello NY Auto show (March 29-April 7)!

I'll check the TV show out next month. I'm guessing I'll be seeing the media blitz pretty soon. Hopefully better than Revolution (similar apocalyptic feel).

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've seen the car in at least one of the BTS videos, definitely a very Mad Max feel to it.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

IO9 has a spoiler free review up for the first three episodes of the series.
    Highlights:
    EDIT: I forgot to post the newest behind the scenes featurette: Making of Part VI: Nolan and Irisa. Focused on Grant Bowler's Nolan, and Stephanie Leonidas' Irisa.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  13. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I've only previously seen Leonidas in MirrorMask, but I really like what I've seen of her character here. Looking forward to the show!

14. Christopher

Stephanie Leonidas was the most impressive thing about MirrorMask, but I'm disappointed she won't be using her lovely natural accent in Defiance.

15. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Yeah, aren't aliens supposed to have English accents? Or is that just evil aliens? :D Though I suppose if it makes sense if she was raised by non-accented Nolan since she was a child, any accent she might have had probably would have faded as she grew up.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A new character focused making of video has been released. This one focusing on the mayor, Amanda who is played by Julie Benz, and her sister, the local madam and owner of the NeedWant, Mia Kirshner's Kenya.
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QlL2lk9MGbk[/yt]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I just wanna see Julie Benz try to act like a tough resistance fighter with that baby-doll voice of hers. That's all I wanna see.

18. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

19. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This could be the Babylon 5 for the current generation. Well, at least in initial setup and general feel. Just caught up on all the videos and that's the impression I get - a whole ton of developed backstory and universe building before a single episode is shown, and a general story layout involving a very diverse set of characters.

This has been done right (B5) and wrong (Andromeda, IMO). I really hope it doesn't end up the latter.

Mark

20. Christopher

^Andromeda went wrong because its studio a) gave it a shoestring budget and b) fired the showrunner and replaced him with someone who didn't know what the hell he was doing. I don't see either of those happening here. Apparently Defiance is getting a huge budget for a Syfy show (because of the co-production with the game company), and since its showrunners are veterans of Caprica that the network has already brought back into the fold, I'd say that's a good sign that Syfy is willing to keep them.

Then again, now that I've mentioned the former, it occurs to me that if the game tanks, that could hurt the show's survival odds.