FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, May 11, 2011.

1. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

I would definitely go for seeing more Enterprise B variant versions of the Excelsior running around the galaxy.

2. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe even have a 'beauty pass' of Wolf 359 that encompasses more ships and debris to capture the magnitude of the loss. I'd go for a more expansive Redemption fight...no recycling!

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

More Robau.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think I recall some paintings or concept art that was done for new STNG space stations but they were not used. This is the sort of material they should be looking at to add variety to the FX instead of reusing models to save money. I don't mind seeing the mushroom once or twice though. :-)

Federation inspired concepts for DS9..

hhttp://www.starshipdatalink.net/art/ds9.html

RAMA

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Your images are hotlinked.

I suppose I wouldn't have had that much of a problem with reusing movie space stations in TNG if the models had actually been reused. But they weren't. It was just stock footage of Spacedock and Regula One with the Ent-D superimposed into the shots, the former even still showing the Earth and Moon even though it was supposed to be some other planet.

6. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

^Copy the URLs and paste them into your browser. Should work then.

They actually did reuse one of those DS9 study models as a Qomar space station in VOY's "Virtuoso."

7. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd also like all those cityscapes portrayed by matte paintings replaced by unique CGI citiy/landscape overpasses as you'd find in any modern Earthbound TV show, or even follow the examples set by Caprica.

Without diminishing the style of LCARS, I'd expect to see the computer graphics updated. The basic text is fine, even the line drawing schematics, but the early cartoony attempts at CGI need to go. It would be nice if the displays did portray more of the actions and situations going on too.

The starfields and warp stuff. The odd nebula here and there maybe not all stars are distant pin point streaks of light. Maybe some are very large and near. The view from the window should always be consistent with the speed they're traveling at, and the worlds they visit have no business being anything less than awesome. Oceans, mountains, shorelines, weather systems.

Turbo lift motion too.

Not bothered about the Excelsior class seeing as its my favorite, but a few variants maybe, including the Ent-B and perhaps a new 24th C Interpretation of the design. Where ships were named but not seen, they should go town.

Starship maneuvers could bear some relationship to Newtonian physics while they're at it.

Any shot of Data with open panels could use a brush up too.

I shudder to think how the holodeck set would look in HD.

Virtual sets to replace the 2D corridor extensions and such. Planet surfaces/caves etc also need the soundstage effect editing out.

Stuff like that.

8. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Maybe they could update the view screen. It's really little more than a monitor when use. Like in BoBW when the Borg Cube is seen, it could still be shown in the center big and large, but on the top or bottom of the screen could be incoming data for Picard and Riker to see, tactical data, speed, distance, time to intercept, time untill optimum firing range, etc.

I've always felt the view screen was way underused.

9. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That'd be a nightmare to do, since you'd have to rotoscope every scene with the viewscreen (which is done by hand IIRC). Plus that would be a bit too far for some people (personally, I'm OK with it, I liked the extra functionality of the STXI viewscreen).

10. GNDN

GNDN Commodore Commodore

The viewscreen in all incarnations of Trek prior to NuTrek was simply that, a viewscreen, unless tactical view was specifically requested. The Ent-D's Captain's chair had small control panels which could easily show tactical information, in addition to the console available to Riker. Had the Captain requested tactical info on the viewer I would agree, but we can assume he had all the info he needed on his own displays.

11. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

I doubt it'd be no more difficult than what was done in Forrest Gump.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Some of these suggestions are getting quite silly.

I'd thought about some LCARS replacements, but for the most part I don't think these need too much work...some of the more detailed schematics, ie: The asteroid escape sims in "Booby Trap", nanites in "Evolution" and Gomtu cutaway in "Tin Man" could use a reworking and are simple to insert in the viewscreens.

Even close stars are generally pretty far away from each other, and wouldn't look obviously larger in a starscape.

Holodeck sets would look fine because those are live action elements on film...easily transferred to HD.

13. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't think mine were particularly silly. I agree, LCARS doesn't need a great deal of work as its a stylistic interface, but it will need work to look good under the scrutiny fans viewing in HD.

Stellar and interstellar phenomena could be portrayed better certainly. Granted, even super massive stars shrink to points of light against the big black, but usually when the ship dropped out of warp it was near something interesting, and in most cases, something interesting will be near a star. Lets see it. Where there is no star, let it be dark. The lights on the ship against the eternal night can be part of the drama.

The holodeck set I was referring to was the black with yellow grid. It looked poor in SD on my 14" TV replaying a long play VHS broadcast recording back in the 90s. HD, I imagine, would make it look like a stage backdrop in a village hall play.

It has to be asked though. Who the HD release is aimed at. Is it the fans that want a Trek Show to go with the new TV, or a new audience that go for a different aesthetic.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Some examples of the nanite re-editing might look like this:

This: [​IMG] into: [​IMG]

or:
    [​IMG]

I also quite like the Stargate nanite representation:

[​IMG]

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was their ever a standing holodeck set built for Star Trek: The Next Generation? One of the reasons it looks so bad is probably because it's a blue-screen effect from the late 80s/early 90s (unless I'm mistaken on this point, of course).

16. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm pretty sure the holodeck was a physical room (unless it was fading into or out of a simulation, natch).

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think there was a holodeck set.

18. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was definitely a holodeck set.

Either that or they CG'd a room to look like it was crappily marked with yellow duct tape lines :lol:

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

That must be what I was thinking of. A little googling hasn't found anything to support my sketchy memory, in any case.

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Episode #124Conspiracy
    Dexter Remmick.
    http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Conspiracy_%28episode%29

An exploding head on a TV series?
    I wonder if they will tone down the gore/violence, keep it the same, or embellish it even more?
    I also wonder when it airs on TV if it will get a TV-MA rating for this episode or a TV-14 at least?