47 Klingon Ships and Uhura

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Admiral_Young, Dec 7, 2009.

1. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

I guess it depends on the context. The Klingons and Romulans have been fighting for centuries by all accounts.

2. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Had it gone as planned, when they got back from their rescue mission at Vulcan, I'm sure everybody would have been briefed on the 47 Pakistani aircraft the Indians shot down.

3. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I'm sure Starfleet Intelligence, or Strategic Operations, or whoever was paying special attention to the transmission she intercepted, trying to verify its authenticity, and informing whoever else in the chain of command needed to know about the situation.

There is no reason to assume that every starship captain in the fleet would know about it the following morning.

The problem with the writing, in this instance, isn't that Pike and co. aren't aware of it... it is the giant whopping coincidence that Uhura just so happens to intercept the transmission and Kirk just so happens to be hiding under her roommate's bed while she's blathering about it (and then just so happens to wind up at the right place and time to do something with the info).

If you're going to criticize the film, at least pick out the correct flaws to criticize. :lol:

4. Jeri

Kirk hearing the message was the reason they could save Earth. If he hadn't heard the message, they would have had to tell some other story.

5. Kelso

^ That's the problem. The plot is dependent on a string of improbable coincidences.

6. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I just got the image of the the writer getting partway through the script, typing up that the Enterprise drops out of war in the middle of the Vulcan ambush and is promptly destroyed and then stopping and muttering, "... shit," before going back a few pages and moving Kirk into the Uhura scene.

7. Jeri

No, it isn't; the point is that no one tells a story about something unremarkable.

^ see above.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  8. Kelso

Exciting and important stories can be told in a logical manner. Hell, the sequence of events would have been far more plausible if it had been Spock who figured out that they were flying in a trap. We were led to believe that he was her direct superior at the academy, after all. It wouldn't be a great stretch for him to have been aware of the transmission she intercepted. They would have needed another reason for Pike to spontaneously make Kirk the first officer, of course, but I'm sure they could have come up with something.

Not a perfect solution, but at least the coincidence wouldn't be compounded by several others.

EDIT TO ADD: That second post you quoted was not mine.

9. Jeri

You're free to put together whatever story you want, but this one was going to be told with Kirk.

Edit: I edited the quote; thanks.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As a medical officer, McCoy wouldn't have the authority to take command of the ship, regardless of his rank.

11. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Er, I thought the implication that she did inform her superiors was there when she came home early from the lab.

And maybe the primary fleet WAS deployed to monitor the situation?

12. wew

wew Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know that's odd. When I served in the military you didn't abandon your post without proper authorization prior to leaving it. In fact it was a general order that you did not leave your post w/o permission.

If she was temporarily in charge, she could have left the post, but that would require she appoint someone, no matter how temporary, to assume command.

13. Kelso

Meh. Given the circumstances, I doubt they'll be rushing to court martial her over it.

14. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bones is a medical corps (staff) officer, not a line officer.

As for the Uhura question, protocol gives way to plot conveniences.

15. Jeri

It's not odd; it's not abandoning her post: she walked to the elevator and asked the captain where he was going, which as I indicated and you quoted, is information she would be asked and needed to know.

Then she accompanied the captain, who could have reprimanded her had he thought she was abandoning her post in that situation. As already pointed out, she's not alone at communications.

16. Jeri

Kelso, something weird is going on with the quote function. Every time I quote something, your name is at the top of it. :lol: It seems to be hung up in there.

17. Kelso

The internet gods are trying to tell you something. ;)

18. Jeri

It started when I used the multi-quote feature...

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I realize that McCoy wasn't a line officer, he was just a general example, someone though should have assumed command within the natural command structure of the ship instead of letting a cadet who was on probation assume command (that was one of the few negatives and I know that has been brought up before).

Also I never meant that she didn't inform Pike...I meant whoever was the senior officer inside of the sensor lab/communications room when she monitored the battle. Perhaps it was implied that she did inform someone, I just recall that Pike seemed surprised about the information when Uhura mentions it on the bridge.

I am I the only who's bothered about the weapons? LOL

20. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Pike explicitly promoted Kirk to first officer. We all heard the line. This means that as soon as Pike said it Kirk became the highest ranking command officer second only to Spock.