The Day of the Doctore Review Thread (Spoilers?)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Brefugee, Nov 23, 2013.

?

So what did you think?

Poll closed Dec 21, 2013.
  1. Brilliant: Geronimo.

188 vote(s)
    77.7%
  2. Very Good: Bow Ties are Cool!

38 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Ok: Come along Ponds.

10 vote(s)
    4.1%
  4. Passable: Fish Fingers and Custard.

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Terrible: Who da man?

1 vote(s)
    0.4%
  1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, the Audios suggest The Time Lords' Regeneation came from Evolution, travelling through the Time Vortex, and River's situation lends credence to the fact that the current TV Show accepts/honors that theory. A Race Evolving like that is going to filter through the entire Population, unless Breeding is carefully kept selective

2. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

It doesn't do wood. My goodness, that scene is brilliant. :lol: It is a minor jewel, warming us up for the good stuff.

Think about it. If the three Doctors had actually disintegrated the door, one can only imagine the outrage erupting on the Internet. How come you ignore all the rules whenever it turns convenient, eh? No matter how clever the solution was, you can't help but picture people like me so eager to grab their keyboard, they get caught off guard by the people rolling down the aisles laughing around them when Clara bursts in.

It is the first minor occasion where a hopeless situation was not only shown to have multiple alternative exits, but all the wilder ones were all shot down. I don't think it's completely intentional, but that perfectly fits with the larger narrative, and it is a smaller set up for the resolution in the end (the larger being the Zygons ofc).

I am with Moffat and Clara on this, if there is one thing that I can't imagine watching is the Doctor ever murdering everyone on Gallifrey. If I did see it, I would find it difficult to believe. When he brags about it, it is one thing – it happened off screen, it was necessary, we don't see it... But if I imagine the actual moment in which he does it, I am completely unable to picture him doing anything but him stepping back over and over until he finally decides not to do it, which is kinda what went on in the episode.

If there are things that just can't happen, they are the Doctor using weapons of mass destruction and London going out in by self-inflicted nuke. And the sonic doing wood.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I have no problem with the idea that the sonic can handle wood, but needs centuries of computing time to do so, thus making it unfeasible under normal circumstances. It also makes sense to me that the War Doctor would be the one best qualified to figure out a way to use the sonic screwdriver for destructive purposes.

Really, though, the idea that it couldn't handle wooden doors was always kind of iffy. One, it's sonic, and wood conducts sound. Two, it's a screwdriver, and a lot of wooden things have screws holding them together.

Although I suppose it's not as silly as the "deadlock" term RTD coined, and which suddenly became a property of almost every kind of door or lid in the universe.

4. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I ever have to brace a door shut by jamming a wooden log between it and a wall, I'm going to say it's "Deadlocked" from now on.

Same principle, really. It's not like you can un-brace that door with a screwdriver anyway! ;-)

(besides, you'd think with all the times that the Doctor has encountered a deadlocked door, he'd have created a setting for that by now. After all, he's been facing those doors since at least his Eighth incarnation!)

5. Christopher

Basically the "deadlock seal" was to the RTD-era sonic screwdriver as kryptonite is to Superman. Once you give a character or object too much power, you have to concoct an arbitrary weakness to compensate.

6. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The Day of the Doctor was the #2 film at the US box office on Monday, making $4.8 million.

For one night only it made it to number 2 at the box office. That's pretty good for a small british show.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I would hardly call DW a small British show, saying it's one of the top rated Drama's on the BBC if not the whole of British TV.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I had an e-mail conversation yesterday with an acquaintance of mine who works for the BBC. The conversation was an another matter entirely, but I mentioned in passing that I'd seen Entertainment Weekly's report and was really impressed with how well it did. He wrote back and said they were over the moon with the response they got.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they tried another theatrical screening. I imagine there have been conversations already this week about exactly that.

And I suspect Jane Tranter will use this success as a proof-of-concept for an American studio to partner with Worldwide on the Doctor Who movie.

9. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

Just like the TARDIS, the word small is relative. Doctor Who may be huge in the UK, but it is still "that small British show" to some parts of the world. Where I'm from (Singapore), zero cinema theaters screened Day of The Doctor and had to rely on BBC Entertainment's cable channel to watch it at 4am in the morning. I'm pretty sure 99% of my countrymen were soundly asleep at that time.

But I bet Hollywood is now taking a good look at "that small British show"

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Part of me says I would love to see a big budget DW movie, another part of me however says if anyone could find a way to screw it up, it would be Hollywood.

11. chelly

chelly Commander Red Shirt

I honestly don't think it needs to have a movie. Maybe more of the specials like "Day of the Doctor" and not from Hollywood.

12. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hollywood would probably have machine guns that pop out of side panels on the Tardis. :eek: Keep Hollywood far far away from our beloved Doctor Who.

13. Christopher

I think if it were done, it would be produced by the BBC with a Hollywood studio as a financial backer/partner. Not sure how easy it'd be to get a studio to agree to that, but I can't see the Beeb doing it any other way.

14. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

15. YellowSubmarine

It was already spoiled by adding a cloaking device and, gasp, landing without the breaks on, why not add some nifty machine guns while we're at it? Maybe a missile launcher in the lantern? A couple of Space Shuttle boosters to keep NASA going? The real terror would be if Hollywood decide to unstick the chameleon circuits and turn the TARDIS into a pumpkin.

All of a sudden you wake up in an alternate reality and discover that all your childhood dreams are dead, Cinderella's carriage was a TARDIS dragged by Zygons, the fairy was the thirteenth Doctor, and she wasn't equipped with a magic wand, but a sonic screwdriver.

It could be worse though, imagine the TARDIS materialises as a 19th century police box, lights itself to signal Clara and the universe folds onto itself.

16. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"It's okay, Aerosmith is doing the soundtrack." --Hollywood

17. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Michael Giacchino & Jan Hammer are available :D

18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Throw Capaldi, Smith, Tennant and Eccleston into a feature length movie, it doesn't even need to be big budget. It'd make a profit from the UK alone.

19. YellowSubmarine

Oh boy. I can already see the plot going.

In the 17th century, a man is putting flowers on the grave of his wife with his daughter Cinderella. Behind the bushes, a time lady is seen regenerating. She approaches and entices them both. Fast forward to week later, the time lady approaches his bed and sings "don't wanna close my eyes, I don't wanna fall asleep, cause I'd miss you babe, and I don't wanna miss a thing"

They marry and live happily everafter. That is, until the time lady discovers an old watch in the man's possessions, wakes up and crosses her own timestream. With a boat. She gives herself the watch as a wedding gift, and the next day Cinderella is in the cellar, building a paradox machine.

On the girl's 19th birthday, a blue box appears inside the cellar, but her evil step-mother drags her out. A woman walks out of the the blue box, and the time lady begins singing "dude looks like a lady". She ties her, using the chameleon circuit turns the box into a pumpkin and the Zygon companions into mice, and appoints her daughter to feed them.

"Missus, if you could help me free you, can you help me, please?"

"Damn it man, I am the Doctor, not a fairy!"

"Doctor who?"

"Doctor, doctor, doctor, please, doctor, doctor, please"

The step-mother rushes in...

"Come on, help her, Doctor. Let us see what you can do now after your carriage has been turned into a pumpkin. You have your magic wand, don't you." [laughs]

"Well... I used to... Wait, did you say carriage?"

With the new insight, the Doctor secretly gets the pumpkin-carriage business going, and even though chameleon circuit buckles and resets itself at midnight each day, Cinderella falls in love with the prince, loses her shoes, marries him, the whole routine. But they never realise that the step-mother is... (wait for it)

THE MASTER [thunder sounds]

"...MASTER, MASTER, MASTER OF PUPPETS"

"Hey, shut up, this is not our song"

They fight THE MASTER [thunder sounds] and kill her, bury her, the credits roll and Aerosmith covering Faith of the Heart begins.

"Stop it!" the grave screams in a female voice. "Please stop it, I might be dead, but that does not make it any less terrifying! Oh Doctor, I am so walking out of that grave and coming for you! DID YOU HEAR ME, DOCTOR? I AM COMING FOR YOU! It is going to be your death one day, you keep forgetting the second rule - never provoke THE MASTER [thunder sounds]"

"Oh, stop that noise in there," the annoyed Doctor complains. "Can you please shut up and stay dead?"

"Doctor, I am your mother!"

A policeman comes in and arrests the Doctor and the grave for the silly sketch.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  20. Christopher

Okay, this is weird. I found two YouTube postings, one purporting to include all the variations of the "I Am the Doctor" motif from series 5-6 and another purporting to include all from series 7, and neither of them includes that fast, brassy version that BBC America uses in its promos. So I'm no closer to finding the name of that cue.