Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoilers

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bones, Jun 18, 2013.

1. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

But yet I've always come across Star Trek=geeky/nerdy/stupid but if you like Star Wars that equals cool/awesome/etc...be interesting to see what happens with JJ Wars.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And many others disagree with you. So?

3. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing Trek needs to address is that people 25 and under just don't seem to be interested in this film whereas Ironman and Superman have huge followings in a younger audience.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Maybe since there's not much of a manned space program, younger folks have a tougher time connecting to a universe where we live and work in space in fantastic starships.

5. DarthTom

Perhaps that's what it is or that Henry Cavil is just more of a stud in terms of his appearance than Pine and younger girls will go to just watch him a a tight suit or in Iron Man's case Downey has broader appeal than Chris Pine.

Perhaps Paramount/Trek should pop for a big, big name star next go around. American audiences [and that's where Trek fell short] just didn't really know about or care about Cumberbatch.

6. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I dunno if that'd accomplish much. After Earth had Will Smith, one of the biggest stars in the world, and it still fizzled. Ditto Tom Cruise's "Oblivion" back in April. The alchemy of success would seem to be a bit more complicated than that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2013
  7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

I don't think that's true. Lois finds him because of all the people he saves.

8. DarthTom

Star and/or stud appeal I agree is only one component. Regarding After Earch, it failed because IMO no one wants to see Will Smith and his son fight killer animals. That's a big yawn from the get go in terms of a premise.

Whomever greenlighted After Earth didn't do his/her research. 10,000 BC - similar plot of fighting the animals - flopped as well.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  9. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

...and you are basing this on...?

10. TREK_GOD_1

Agreed; I do not know how anyone could think a sane mind would rip off the likes of The Matrix, Independence Day, District 9, or Avatar.

11. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Let me reiterate, critics agree with me.

12. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

During the fight in Metropolis he doesn't try to save a single person until the very last part of the fight with Zod.

Nothing is even said of how many people were lost, no one seems to care.

13. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Exactly.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Bet the uniforms would be really cool.

Iron Man and Superman might have larger followings, but that's only to be expected, because they always have had. If you think that Trek holds no interest for the younger age-group*, you might want to check with several million 25-and-unders on Tumblr, because Star Trek and this movie are huge with that crowd.

------------------
    * As far as that goes, hasn't the running line—continuously intoned by the Disgruntled Old Guard of Trek for the last four years—been that "the 2009 Star Trek was aimed exclusively at the kiddies/Twilight crowd/Generation ADD," and that the older audiences (We Who Have Carried Trek All This Way and Kept It Alive Throughout the Lean Years™) were being shut out?

Whatever happened to that notion? I'm sure I remember hearing it quite often. But now it's the kids who need to be targeted - WTF?

15. DarthTom

Anecdotal evidence doesn't make something true. Man of Steel and Ironman is more popular with younger folks than Trek. Facts are facts.

Yahoo

16. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I think that point is conceded in the first sentence. He's merely pointing out that, despite being less popular with younger crowds than the other two, it isn't unpopular with them, based on his observations of numbers on a website (which is just as factual, for this purpose, as the industry numbers).

17. TREK_GOD_1

You are half correct: Superman had large followings from time to time, but until the Downey Iron Man films, the character had been a steady "B" lister for more than 4 decades, with no other film adaptations other than two short lived cartoons: the 1966 Marvel Super Heroes & 1994 Marvel Action Hour--both umbrella series not exclusively focusing on IM before the Downey film.

IM was by no means a character with a large following, yet the Downey film scored big--far beyond nuTrek.

That speaks volumes for both the "B" lister..and nuTrek.

Not Superman or Iron Man huge. No one is talking about this film in the broad pop cultural sense in the way seen with the better superhero movies.

18. DarthTom

I was referring to the percentages in addition to the sheer volume of the fan base of both IM and MOS. It also begs the question why STID had a ten percent drop with the 25 and under crowd?

BTW, in the same article an industry insider also says this:

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I don't know why there was a drop. I'm not dismissing it as a concern (though I think it is a smaller concern than Mr. Bock seems to think, given that Trek has busted through 200 million so far, domestically, and more so overseas). I was just responding to the idea that you thought M'Sharak had not acknowledged your overall point regarding the other two franchises.

20. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

But that doesn't remove what I said. We see him save and help people throughout the movie. In fact, doing or not doing so is the main theme. That's how Lois tracks him down. Also, during the fight in Smallville, he pulls his punches in the diner because there are people there, and the female Kryptonian calls him on it.

Critics don't mean much, except that critics liked or dislike a movie.

I think, aside from Box office revenue, the only objective measure of a film's success is longevity i.e. how influent and memorable it is. But that's sometimes hard to measure.