Terminator: Salvation Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 19, 2009.

?

Grade "Terminator Salvation"

1. "I'll be back!" (Excellent)

31 vote(s)
    16.5%
  2. "Come with me if you want to live." (Above Average)

61 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. "Thank you for explaining." (Average)

50 vote(s)
    26.6%
  4. "If we stay this course we are dead! We are all dead!" (Below Average)

26 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. "You are TERMINATED." (Poor)

20 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I feel like the odd one out for liking McG's direction in this. Nice style, nice movie, great action. Loved Marcus, loved Kyle (Anton Yelchin is kickass!),and loved digital Arnold. I wish they hadn't cut it down to PG-13 and hearing that it was initally longer doesn't surprise me, it moved pretty briskly.

I found that I actually cared more about Marcus and Kyle then I did about Connor. I guess I'm kinda done with him somehow. Sucks that they seemingly killed Marcus off.

8 out of 10.

2. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I've been hearing rumors that they are working on a way to bring Marcus back for the next film, but I'm treating it as rumor.

Sam Worthington was contracted for a trilogy of films though so it's possible he'll be back.

3. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Skynet just needs to build another one. I can see them cloning Marcus' body before making him into a Hybrid.

4. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I saw it today, and thought it was a decent and enjoyable film. It needed Summer Glau in it in some form, but that aside, I'll buy the dvd.

5. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

I liked TS up until Skynet goes all Bond villain on Marcus. Up to then, it was a great looking movie with really good action scenes (I even liked the fight at the end of the movie). The plot didn't really sink in for me, but that was okay because it was tense and awesome. But the film was soured for me once Skynet opened its mouth. Actually, the more I think about the film now, the more stupid I realise the film is. It's a snowball of stupidity.

Action-wise, it's great. Plot-wise and character-wise, it's fucking worse than T3. The people who bitch about ST09's plot holes really need to see TS to get some perspective.

Ok, Sam Worthington was great, and Anton Yelchin was quite good, but that's it.

TS is easily worse than T3 plot-wise. I can't believe that it's even possible, but it is. But it's a better popcorn movie than T3, so yeah.

I gave it a below average.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  6. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Saw it today. loved it. don't care what anyone else says, it was AWESOME!

would've been nice to see more military kit than just helos and warthogs though...

7. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

if Clash of the Titans & Avatar do well they will certainly want Worthington back...

btw, do you know anyplace online I can find good stills from the film? There are some good ones on IMDB but they dont allow you to right click/save. :scream:

8. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I've seen this comment a few times, so let me sat this: it's all about the characters. Both films have passable situations with a few plot holes, and make for excellent spectacle, but Star Trek made time for its characters. Terminator: Salvation only has time for one or two, at least in the theatrical cut, and the supposed leading man is left to be little more than a cypher.

9. Uncle Tobias

Uncle Tobias Lieutenant Red Shirt

I hope so, Marcus was great. Get him a artifical heart or another Hybrid one from some Skynet lab and he should be good to go, no? Maybe this is why they didn't show the burial scene from the novel?

10. john titor

john titor Captain

5/10 mediocre and nowhere near a patch on the original first 2. Pretty dumb to boot, why do terminators like fist fights again? Terminator ended with Cameron. The rest are just cash ins. Like if someone wanted to continue writing LOTR stories after buying the rights to the franchise.

11. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

So I read something new today about the proposed Terminator 5:

We're going to see life outside of America for the first time. The setting of the proposed Terminator 5 is not Los Angeles but rather London.

12. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

Why does Marcus not seem to bothered about the fact he's (a) alive and seemingly well when he should be dead, and (b) that he's emerged to a post-apocalyptic world with few humans left? He's taken the whole thing in his stride and doesn't even bother asking Reese too many questions about the state of the world!

13. Fish1941

Fish1941 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I rated it "Above Average". It has some flaws, but I basically found it very enjoyable, much to my surprise.

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

But skynet central is America. What would be in London? And what would Connor be doing there in the past if he travels back?

15. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Average.

I've seen it last night and a couple of things really stood out. I really didn't like them giving a face to Skynet. It killed the inherent ominousness of Skynet. And I gotta admit the expository scene where (as someone said earlier) felt like a Bond villain explaining his plan. :wtf:
    The other thing that really bugged me was Kyle Reese being Skynet's primary target. What??? How does Skynet even know of Reese's existence and/or role in the whole events? Did Skynet stumble upon John Connor's birth certificate where it's written "Father: Kyle Reese (b2002-d1984)" and did the math? :wtf:

16. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For all he knows, it could have been a sedative at his execution. From his point of view, he just passed out and was kept sedated for an indefinte time.
    Nowhere is it said, that Skynet knew about Kyle being John's father. But it is possible that he knew about Kyle's successful mission in T1. Maybe he had him on his deathlist in order to make sure that the first Terminator get's the job done and kills Sarah.

Of course, the easiest solution to Skynet's mess would be to just not build that damn time machine. That way, Connor definetely won't be born. :D

17. xman

xman Commander Red Shirt

When he emerges from the mud he seems quite disturbed.
    When he is saved by Kyle from the T-600 he is also upset.
    Were you at the concession for that?

X

18. Xevious

Xevious Vice Admiral Admiral

How is it that the Terminators know about Kyle Reese in this time period? And if they know they he's Connor's father and that sending terminators back in time will not work (and will ultimately lead to Connor's birth), why would they still do it?

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Now, now, are you asking Skynet to do the smart thing? :lol:
    Because in this case, Skynet should have used a PA and ordered:
    "ALL TERMINATORS TO CONVERGE TO CORE SECTOR. TERMINATE PRIMARY TARGET! COMPLY!"
    But hey! ;)

20. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they still do need the first terminator CPU to be reverse engineered to create Skynet in the first place.