Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

The funny alien detailing is the only part of the suit I'm not sold on yet. I suppose the parts on his back and sides kinda look like a back brace, which works given that he's essentially a circus strongman. So it's a different way of evoking the design's origins if they're not using the red panties. I don't like the random lines running down the legs, though – as it stands, they look like there's either too much detail or not enough, depending on if you want a classically minimalist superhero costume or a modern, detail-heavy outfit.

But don't take that as negative-nellying. The rest of the costume looks totally ass-whooping major kickin' badass. The cape alone rocks my world.

2. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

I'm not liking the suit. I like the colors and I like the shield and the cape, but I don't like the rubber. How is Clark Kent wearing that under his clothes? I would prefer something like my avatar, which to me would be a good way to keep it traditional in style,but also modern. It looks like the cape is detachable there. Another thing i'd like to see is the S on the back of the cape. Not the solid yellow, but the red and yellow, I really like that. All of the other stuff seems unneccesary.

3. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The suit does look post modern and not the 'classic' look and I like it overall. I cannot however stop from imagining how great Brandon Routh would look in it.

4. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I like the suit....
    and the guy in it...

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

How is Clark Kent wearing a rubber material suit underneath his clothes? The same way that Superman Returns Clark Kent wore it. Same way Peter Parker wore his suit in "Spider-Man".

@StarTrek1701 I can't believe I'm saying this but I agree with you. Brandon would look great in this suit. I'm very pleased with Cavil so far, but I think Routh would still be great.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Never liked Routh as Superman, personally.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sold on the suit. I'm not exactly against it either but it's not exactly "blowing my skirt up" so to speak.

I still think the red "briefs" part should be there or at least something more of color in the waist area and the ribbing and texturing on it makes it look just too busy. Nor do I like the alligator skin look of it. I also think his, um, "area" is over emphasized.

It's looks decent enough, I suppose, but I think it could have been done better.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's Superman with go-faster stripes!

The thing that strikes me is that they wanted rid of the trunks - fine - but it's blindingly obvious that even the suits agreed it looked strange without so they've overcompensated a little in my eyes.

It's not awful by any stretch of the imagination though (Cavill himself looks great), and a billowing cape will do wonders for it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That's just what I was thinking. Though Routh's suit made him look less ripped and muscular than he actually was!

9. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

His hair has a real "Kirk Alyn" thing going on...

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I like that - especially what they've done with the "belt."

The "S" shield is the best version on a live-action costume ever. It captures the classic design.

Cavill himself looks just awesome in it. Like Superman.

11. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It'll take some getting used to, but I like that it actually looks like it could be from an alien planet.

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It certainly doesn't look like something Ma Kent could have slapped together.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That back-story was always something of a stretch. ;)

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Stretch underwear?

15. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer the 'Returns' suit but he looks fine. Actor looks appropriate.

16. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the new costume as well. I would have preferred if the gold belt was more prominent, but it is integrated into the suit pretty subtly. The material does look appropriately alien, and the symbol is just fantastic.

Henry Cavill really looks great in the costume as well. He really looks like Superman. His muscles seem like they are bulging right out of the costume. I'm assuming the costume is sculpted to his physique, and there's probably some built muscle-structure in there (similar to the Toby Maguire Spider-Man suit) but Cavill looks very muscular.

I love the cape. It's impractical, but it has a great "flowing" quality to it.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I hate the suit. Looks like a wet suit.

I can';t find it, b ut there was a design where someone drew Supes with a kind of red stripe in the belt area - it wasn't actually a belt that was a separate piece, nor was it briefs, but it still effectively broke up the monotony of the uniform

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I like both suits about equally, but Cavill does seem to wear his a lot better.

And if he looks this good in spy photos in between takes, just imagine how awesome he'll look in the actual movie.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I do wish there was more of a defined belt area. The midsection just looks a bit overly artsy with the partial belt look.

20. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

The suit sucks big time, from the lack of trunks down to that stupid ass GA chest symbol. I think I'll go watch an episode of the Flash since that is what it looks like he is wearing. :rolleyes: