Sleeping on the Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Rayna, Oct 25, 2013.

1. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

^That's true, but in something like,say , DS9, you saw the characters in their quarters a lot more often and it gave me a better feeling of how they actually lived in their time off. I mean, you see their quarters in TOS too, but rarely, and you don't really get a sense of their off-time.

But it's true that it's a TV show and we're only watching when there is action to be watched.

2. T'Boggan

T'Boggan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You never see the night shift because they did all the naughty things the network couldnt show....

3. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Didn't The Paradise Syndrome occur over an approximate two month period?

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yep. And sometimes significant periods of time pass during commercial breaks and between log entries.

"Captain's log. After 72 hours at Warp Six, we have finally arrived at Gamma Beta Regula. We have not received any further distress signals from the colony for over sixteen hours . . . ."

I've always assumed Kirk tried to get some sleep in during the 84.321 hours the Enterprise is en route to their destination. But, yeah, nothing exciting ever seems to take place during the swing shift . . . .

5. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

That's why I said "roughly". I knew that episode and others were longer, but didn't want to do the additional math calculations to get a more accurate number.

6. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

:techman: This is why BBS posts need a "Like" button. :lol:

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't some of the 80's novels from Diane Duane and Ann Crispin introduce night-shift characters?

8. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Kirk mentions in "Conscience of the King" that they dim the lights on the Enterprise at night to simulate Earth conditions, but I'm not sure if we ever actually saw this done.

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dim as in what was done in TNG, with the obviousness of a sunset and sunrise in a few seconds on command? No, I don't recall that happening.

However, there were plenty of times when the lights seemed dim out in the corridors. Also, there were plenty of times when the lighting was under those wonky color filters, which often seemed low-intensity. But, because I'm not literal-minded (and because the camera went all fuzzy on the beautiful female guest stars), I can't tell if the lighting aboard the TOS Enterprise was supposed to be literally multicolored like that, or if it was all kind of poetic license for the purpose of composing interesting pictures on our TV's.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

While he or she might not be "The Commanding Officer," when on duty as the watch officer they are in command of the ship.

:devil:

11. Rayna

Rayna Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Proof that TOS objectified men as much as it did women!

12. Rayna

I second this motion

13. nureintier

Mostly just Kirk, though.

It would unfair to have Uhura disrobe, since if the women's dresses were any shorter, they'd qualify as shirts. She's already half-naked, IMO.

14. Rayna

Kirk stands for all men ;P
    I don't want to turn this into a feminist thread though haha

15. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Worst use of 'off-time' ever.

In Tholian Web---they are in middle of crisis with only a very short time until they are forever trapped and also the space is making them go mad.

Then 2/3 of the way thru Uhura goes 'off-duty' changes to a nightgown just in time to see Kirk's apparition in her quarters and run thru the hall and bump into McCoy. Then of course as soon as that incident is over---she is back on duty for the rest of the crisis.

Yeah, it must have been really restful tied down in sick bay fearing your were going to end up insane like Chekov.

Worst use of ---"hey can you ever show my character off the bridge?"-----ever.

16. nureintier

Haha, well I just remember seeing TOS for the first time, and I saw TNG first so I was used to seeing the women wearing long pants/jumpsuits, and my thoughts were along the lines of "why doesn't the poor dear have any pants?" when I first saw Uhura/Nurse Chapel/any of the Yeomen. ^_^

But Kirk takes off his shirt enough that it may as well count as all the men.

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Half-naked is not naked enough, IMO. :shifty:

18. Metryq

Metryq Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ah, so you're not philosophical enough to see it in "glass is half full" terms. I recommend more shonen anime.

19. nureintier

I'm not really complaining about the women, but I do find the women's attire in the other shows a bit more work-appropriate. And I'm just disappointed that Kirk takes his shirt off every five minutes and Spock doesn't.

Haha, I just watched that episode again on Netflix. Not sure if it was the worst, but it was kinda dumb and I wondered what the point was.

20. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

No need for a night shift if the M5 computer had worked properly...just sayin'...