Time changed... When will it end.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Data Holmes, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep.

2. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

If the human body won't ever adjust to DST I doubt it would ever adjust waking up at 1am to go to work everyday.

3. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I'd prefer it if DST lasted the whole year or if it was used in the winther months instead. Where I live it gets dark quite early in that time and the shift is indeed noticeable as suddenly it get's dark an hour earlier, at 5 pm, which is cutting all outdoor activities short - especially if you also like to enjoy some night life on the weekend. ;)
    You end up getting up in the dark, anyway, at least if you have to be somewhere at 8. And then, you're inside (unless you work an outdoor job) and don't have any benefits from the sunlight - which will be gone once you leave work.

The alternative, of course, is to move to a place where winters are less dark and depressing.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, maybe current humans wouldn't adjust. But future generations would probably be just fine.

5. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I live in Massachusetts.

The children get out of school between 2:45 and 3:10 depending on what grade group they are in (K-1, 2-3, 4-5) and the bus doesn't drop them off until 3:45-4.

It will be getting dark at that time within a few weeks. It's already darker when they get home than when they leave for school.

And once again, screw the children! :)

6. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty confident about dark and depressing in ND. Took the puppy out half an hour ago and I'm still frigid. -30 is gonna be fun.

7. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

Except that scientific study has concluded that the human body never adjusts to The DST/ST shift...

it's a just a number on a clock. It won't change the "time" the sun comes up, or you goto work, or anything else you do now. It just means the number is different.

Are you colder when it's 0 degrees C instead of 32 degrees F? Are you going faster at 80kph than at 50mph? Do you drink more water if you consume 3.79L instead of 1gallon?

8. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Move to Alaska! :D

9. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I lived in Alaska, during the summer it is fun to have sun light almost all day long. However then you pay for it, during the winter when the sun barely comes above the horizon for few hours.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

For the latter I'd say less at 3.79L as 1 gallon (imperial) is equal to approx 4.55 Litres. :p

But I suspect you meant US liquid gallon, but there is also the US dry gallon which is approx 4.4L.

11. Robert Maxwell

So did I, and that was the joke, so thanks for ruining it! :p

12. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yet some people manage to do that. In today's 24/7 world there are people that work during the night and sleep through daytime.

In some respects adjusting to waking at 01:00 is easier than being on a shift pattern where your sleep hours might vary.

13. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Actually, one research group argued that. If you bothered to read your own link, you'd have found that in the same article another team argued it's not different from having artificial lighting, since it makes it possible to stay up after sunset, and another one claimed it's irrelevant if it disrupt the sleep/wake pattern, because whatever we do, the body adjusts to it.

If you want to try and use "but... science!" to support your position... try again.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  14. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. I've never understood why we do everything an hour earlier sometimes. It's stupid and disruptive.

One day I would like to formulate a system to absorb the time shift without it affecting my sleeping or eating habits. It can be done, I just have to sit down and work it out.

15. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

You know, maybe it's just me, but all my clocks set themselves, so I don't even really notice the time change (save that the sun sets earlier now). In fact, the transition this year was so smooth that it took me most of the day to realize it had happened. So what is the problem with the rest of you? Trouble sleeping because of an hour time difference? Biorhythms out-of-whack because of a change in sunlight? What's the deal with the hate?

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily hate, just...annoyance, really.

Time is, or at least should not be, subject to the whims of people who just decide it's an hour earlier or later. It should be as near to absolute as possible. Just decide on a standard and STICK WITH IT.

I agree with the concept of time zones, because different parts of the globe are under different levels of sunlight at any given time. But the concept of DST is a useless affectation. Let people just shut the fuck up and *accept* however dark or light it is at any given time.

17. Robert Maxwell

Albert Einstein would like to have a word with you!

18. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Holy Not-Morissette Irony, Batman! :lol:

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Not-Morrisette"? :confused:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  20. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Seriously? Was this written without recognizing the irony of your own position on the matter of time?